OT: Stock trading | Page 109 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Perhaps. But I took everything out of the market when I retired in 2015. I would have been far better off had I left everything in the S&P index fund. No regrets.

What sucks is there is no safe option like my mother and grandmother had. They were able to buy bonds making 8+%. I have a former coworker who put $10k in bonds in the late 70s/early 80s for each of their kids college fund. Kids graduated in the late 90s and they didn't have to pay a dime out of pocket for their kids college education.

These low rates are great for those refinancing. They suck for retirees.
Don't forget, when bonds were paying 8% inflation was even higher. It's better now.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Don't forget, when bonds were paying 8% inflation was even higher. It's better now.

If you bought the right bonds, they kept paying. And inflation affecting retirees is over inflated, for lack of a better word.

Reaction Score
If you bought the right bonds, they kept paying. And inflation affecting retirees is over inflated, for lack of a better word.

That's exactly right, but at the time that investment was made, inflation was much higher, so in real terms the yield on that bond was much less although I would imagine more than real yields are today.

Obviously, in hindsight it was a great investment in today's environment of ultra low interest rate and inflation. To say nothing of the capital appreciation if you wanted the liquidity.......which you could then invest in GameStop :)

temery

What?
Reaction Score
That's exactly right, but at the time that investment was made, inflation was much higher, so in real terms the yield on that bond was much less although I would imagine more than real yields are today.

Obviously, in hindsight it was a great investment in today's environment of ultra low interest rate and inflation. To say nothing of the capital appreciation if you wanted the liquidity.......which you could then invest in GameStop :)

Using my grandmother as an example, she owned the house, drove the same car for 20 years, never traveled ... I don't see how inflation affected her outside of utilities and food purchases.

Reaction Score
Using my grandmother as an example, she owned the house, drove the same car for 20 years, never traveled ... I don't see how inflation affected her outside of utilities and food purchases.

Sure, but I think most of us don't want inflation to reduce our standard of living over time. To your point, I think as you really get on in years inflation is less of a concern as you're probably not going to Europe or getting a new car in your 90s.

Reaction Score
$Hbar
Does it have much growth potential? I’m new to stocks and thus want to start low just to learn a little bit. But the advice/info on here is great guys, really appreciate it!

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
$Hbar
I think HBAR, LINK and ADA will lead level two development. Though a name brand, I'm bearish ETH longterm. It's in no mans land...not a store of value and not really scalable like it needs to be.
Does it have much growth potential? I’m new to stocks and thus want to start low just to learn a little bit. But the advice/info on here is great guys, really appreciate it!

Charles Hoskinson from ADA is a beast. If you don't know blockchain potential, wise to youtube anything from him.

Reaction Score
LINK, ETH, GRT all looking great lately. LRC (Loopring) hot too. On stock side, so excited about recent purchase of API 40 points ago and the continued run of APPS which just crushed earnings and is up another 10% after hours!

Reaction Score
I think it’s just the beginning as it’s not on coinbase, binance, etc. yet. In it for a small long term play. YouTube has a bunch of videos on all different coins, platforms, etc. for advice and predictions.

Reaction Score
what platform are you guys using to trade crypto?
Same, although I hate Coinbase’s fees. When you fund account there’s a 1.5% fee, painful when it’s larger amounts. Certain cryptos aren’t supported too so you may need several platforms.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Perhaps. But I took everything out of the market when I retired in 2015. I would have been far better off had I left everything in the S&P index fund. No regrets.

What sucks is there is no safe option like my mother and grandmother had. They were able to buy bonds making 8+%. I have a former coworker who put $10k in bonds in the late 70s/early 80s for each of their kids college fund. Kids graduated in the late 90s and they didn't have to pay a dime out of pocket for their kids college education.

These low rates are great for those refinancing. They suck for retirees.

Putting it in T and MO making 7/8% yields are certainly something

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
PYPL crushed their earnings tonight! MELI’s earnings next week should be mind blowing!

I sold my position some time ago. Shouldn’t have. Payment processing is going to keep changing. The last generation that used checks is nearly gone. Covid sped up the vendor side implementation of tap to pay, which helps Apple and Google. Apple now has a credit card of sorts.

Reaction Score
what platform are you guys using to trade crypto?
I use gemini, I’ve had it for years so may be better options now. Never sold anything , honestly don’t even remember what the fees are

Reaction Score
I recommend getting into ETHE Grayscale before it breaks through $20

Reaction Score
Anyone in on this?

I know people who were in on TSNP before it blew up. It's still blowing up because it has an actual business plan with experienced leadership since the merger. HumblPay/Tesoro incorporates both point of sale and money transfer across borders and is rolling out globally. I have almost no free cash flow but I'll ride out my tiny investment and see what happens. My $$ is tied up in my 457 which has limited choices.

Reaction Score
NOK earnings tomorrow should be positive, but there is a huge float so will need some elephants to get involved to make it really pop.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom