OT: Stock trading | Page 83 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

Reaction Score
My only recommendation for a novice is not to wade in beyond index ETFs until you aren't one anymore. I know that is snarky, but I think a lot of people are going to get wrecked. Some of the folks putting money in via Robin Hood have really only seen things go up, it may feel like free money.
This is great advice. Or if you really want to start playing, keep a small Robin Hood or other account with absolutely only what you are ready to lose. The likelihood of beating a low-cost ETF like Vanguard in the long-run are pretty small but the risk is a heck of a lot higher.

Reaction Score
REIT's finally turning up. I've got MITT & IVR. Still a lot of room to run as they're a 1/4 of what they once were.

Last edited:

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
REIT's finally turning up. I've got MITT & IVR. Still a lot of room to run as they're a 1/4 of what they once were.

I like triple net leases and storage ones.

Iron mountain might be the big play. But it’s also for some serious risk

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Fidelity or Vanguard index fund.

All my work stuff is with Fidelity- mix of target and company stock.
All my personal stuff is with Vanguard- target and individual stocks.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
What’s a good purchase for today? Any recommendations for a novice?
I started by buying what I thought were safe investments that didn't have a lot of volatility such as T, Coca Cola, other companies that have a long stable track record and give dividends. I then added a decent amount of metal stocks and mining companies for stability as a hedge.

Since then I've looked at EV companies, Green Sector Companies, and others.

$NNDM, $MVIS, $UAVS have been very good so far

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I like triple net leases and storage ones.

Iron mountain might be the big play. But it’s also for some serious risk

If you mean colo facilities, I think they are going to be huge going forward. Iron Mountain wouldn't be my choice. Too few datacenters make them poorly positioned for EDGE.

Equinix is solid. One of the best companies in the space. But the stock and profits have lagged. I think Switch is interesting as well, but also hasn't really done well as a stock.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
or anything Cathie Wood touches

Certainly ARK is placing some bets that should pay off based on superior analysis. The management fee is probably worth it in that case.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Chamath bought $115 calls February for GME

he’s getting in on the run
That's what I don't get. These billionaires and big banks, can make a statement or write an article about a stock, and that can drastically change the price of the stock. They can also at the same time buy or sell millions of shares. All that's ok, but retail investors driving Tesla's stock or GME, in this case, is not good and should be investigated

Reaction Score
here we go CLOV.

@UConnSwag11 These hedge fund guys are getting on shows, pumping out articles, etc trying to bully the WSB crew into selling their Gamestop positions. They aren't budging - love it, I hope they put Melvin out of business

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
That's what I don't get. These billionaires and big banks, can make a statement or write an article about a stock, and that can drastically change the price of the stock. They can also at the same time buy or sell millions of shares. All that's ok, but retail investors driving Tesla's stock or GME, in this case, is not good and should be investigated

No, they can't actually do that. If they pump and dump they are breaking the law.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
No, they can't actually do that. If they pump and dump they are breaking the law.
I understand that, but the way they're attacking Robinhood investors or the average citizens as if they have no influence. I mean after 2008 you'd think they and the Feds would keep it mum

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom