OT: Stock trading | Page 43 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

Reaction Score
The market is closed on Monday for Labor Day.
Ha, my bad. Forgot about that. Still stick by my prediction for my ugliness tomorrow to shake all the Robinhooder types out.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Ha, my bad. Forgot about that. Still stick by my prediction for my ugliness tomorrow to shake all the Robinhooder types out.
I buy through RH. Will not be deterred. I bought more PayPal today. I’ve seen this before - been investing since 2006.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
What are you looking at for today?
I’m currently only buying 3 stocks. Zoom, PayPal, and ProtoLabs. There’s no rhyme or reason as to when I buy them - as long as I have free cash, I’m buying them. I decided months ago I was going to make a long-term bet on these 3 and I’ve stuck to it. Currently up 53%, although was as high as 80% prior to the recent regression, which was absolutely expected. I don’t have the time or energy to research any and every stock, or to time the market by getting in and out. I make a prediction, and go all-in. It’s done me well throughout the years.

Reaction Score
In all my years I never owned Apple, couldn’t resist today at 113. The selling pressure though the past two days is just so damn intense though.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
One of the many reasons I do not go in and out is b/c of the tax liability. Why would I sell a stock to pay short-term gains tax, when I could not sell it (with the belief it will go up even higher), and then take those profits and pay less taxes in the long-term?

I believe that the tax code ought to be adjusted to favor smaller, non-institutional investors who want to go in and out. If I have a low-income, and low net worth, and I'm not a professional, I should be able to buy and sell (with a decent share of my income/net worth) without the restraints.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
One of the many reasons I do not go in and out is b/c of the tax liability. Why would I sell a stock to pay short-term gains tax, when I could not sell it (with the belief it will go up even higher), and then take those profits and pay less taxes in the long-term?

I believe that the tax code ought to be adjusted to favor smaller, non-institutional investors who want to go in and out. If I have a low-income, and low net worth, and I'm not a professional, I should be able to buy and sell (with a decent share of my income/net worth) without the restraints.
Just get rid of it all

Reaction Score

You can't even day trade if you don't deposit $25k in an account. Anything less than $25k you are limited to 3 or 4 trades a week by FINRA regulations

Everything is to prevent the average Joe from making a good hit

Reaction Score
Just get rid of it all
I think pressure will remain on tech stocks for a while. There won’t be many catalysts to push them up in the near future. Timing the market isn’t usually the smartest idea but I think anyone who sold around here would get better prices again soon.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

I’d go the other way. Encourage people to save by exempting DRIPs.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Subscription.....honestly, if you are actively investing and not reading that publication at a minimum.......well........
Well what? There’s only 1 source for any and all financial or investment news/info/data?

Reaction Score
Well what? There’s only 1 source for any and all financial or investment news/info/data?
he's right and he's not saying it's the only source. But if u follow the market the WSJ is the one must.

It's like saying u follow UConn mbb boards online but don't come to the boneyard. Not the only board but...

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
he's right and he's not saying it's the only source. But if u follow the market the WSJ is the one must.

It's like saying u follow UConn mbb boards online but don't come to the boneyard. Not the only board but...
Ok, fair enough. But there’s a difference between using WSJ to follow the market (what you said) and using WSJ to actively invest (what they said). I would argue you don’t have read a thing to actively and successfully invest. Go out in public often, take note of trends and consumer spending, and talk to a diverse group of people regularly.

On a similar note, I was so bummed when they canceled they Nightly Business Report. I used to watch that daily. I had a digital subscription to WSJ for a year but eventually gave it up.

Reaction Score
SoftBank has opened a trading arm and has started out with option trades with a notional value of 50B in the tech sector. There was also a good piece on Overall market volatility.

I do realize that there are any number of reliable sources for business news other than the WSJ.....but some of what is posted in this thread suggests to me that some should start reading The Journal on a regular basis.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom