OT: Stock trading | Page 35 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

Reaction Score
Can we get this thread back on track to talk about stocks people are playing and suggestions please? My SHOP after hours gamble last night paid off beautifully this morning when it was up $115. Went back to the well again with Amzn after hours, adding to what I have. Last quarter Amazon ran like crazy the day of earnings and then sold off hundreds of points afterwards. Being down 9% from recent highs and not making much of a run this week yet, I think it can hold up well after a great earnings report. Huge day tomorrow for earnings with Amzn, AAPL, FB, GOOG, MELI and Comcast among the many companies. Good luck as always everyone.

Made a good guess on HAL, up 25% in 5 weeks. Plz buy it everyone.

I wonder if I should just sprinkle a little bit on a whole bunch of vaccine plays and hope one of them triples overnight. That's how the market works these days, right?

Reaction Score
Q2 GDP off 33%. I can't even wrap my head around that and the resulting long-term damage to the economy. I have to believe the market pulls back for a period of time......and I know exactly when and for how long too :)

Reaction Score
Anyone else in FSLY? After doubling in a few weeks a month ago, it has consolidated between 75-85 until breaking out today. I added more, it’s looking strong.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
PayPal and Zoom are on an absolute pandemic tear...if only I didn't get cute with my stocks in 3-D printing, weed, and Draft Kings. Even with some small losers, I'm up 22% on my plays since covid.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Q2 GDP off 33%. I can't even wrap my head around that and the resulting long-term damage to the economy. I have to believe the market pulls back for a period of time......and I know exactly when and for how long too :)
That number is astronomical

Reaction Score
Anyone else in FSLY? After doubling in a few weeks a month ago, it has consolidated between 75-85 until breaking out today. I added more, it’s looking strong.
I got in about a month ago after seeing it suggested here. I think it keeps rolling into earnings.

Reaction Score
That number is astronomical

It really is and equities just seem to be disconnected from the economic reality and related fundamentals which is pretty scary. I just have to believe there is one heck of pullback on the way.

I am a big believer in never trying to time the market, but I have more cash than I should waiting for that pullback. Not sure if that's wise........

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
It really is and equities just seem to be disconnected from the economic reality and related fundamentals which is pretty scary. I just have to believe there is one heck of pullback on the way.

I am a big believer in never trying to time the market, but I have more cash than I should waiting for that pullback. Not sure if that's wise........
I'm starting to believe that the market has little to do with the overall economy or job market. They are not completely detached from one another, but they definitely are not joined at the hip like they used to be, or like I used to think they were. Stocks are not propped up solely by consumer spending, and even though some equities may fade, others will shine.

Reaction Score
Been investing for just under 10 years and I've learned a bunch along the way by making mistakes. Could probably write a whole book on the mistakes I made (either positions gone wrong or stocks I never pulled the trigger on). I never trade stocks (technical driven positions) but invest in stocks for the long-term share appreciation.

The past 3-4 years I've really refined my strategy to focus on industry leaders or up-and-coming disrupters. I focus mostly on tech, specifically B2B tech and financial technology.

My biggest position by far is Square (SQ) which I bulked up on during March. I also own Salesforce (CRM), PayPal (PYPL), Mitek (MITK), Health Equity (HQY), Qualys (QYLS) and Workhorse (WKHS).

My average annual return the past 5 years has been almost 18% and over the past 3 years my average annual return has been 27%.

Here are two of the biggest mistakes people make when investing (including things that I constantly battle with):

1) Buying something without fully understanding the business and their industry. Twitter and message board tips shouldn't drive an investment strategy.

2) Hesitating to buy a stock you've done your research because "experts" say its a bad investment or the stock price is down. If you need external validation (either experts saying buy or rising share prices) you've missed your opportunity to make good money, most likely.
If you've only been investing for 10 years than you've only seen a bull market. No disrespect but you've only experienced the stimulated market.

Reaction Score
I'm starting to believe that the market has little to do with the overall economy or job market. They are not completely detached from one another, but they definitely are not joined at the hip like they used to be, or like I used to think they were. Stocks are not propped up solely by consumer spending, and even though some equities may fade, others will shine.
Cream rises. Great companies well positioned for this environment are crushing earnings lately. Amazon, Apple and Facebook all blew out their numbers tonight. Should hopefully lift the entire market tomorrow.,

Reaction Score
Apple announced it’s splitting its stock 4:1 effective 8/24. Will be back to ~$100+ a share. Tim Cook wants that robinhood millennial money.
Exactly. Amazon needs to follow suit and do at least a 10 for 1 split so a lot more people can participate. Don’t count on AAPL only being 100 by 8/24. Huge earnings by Amazon, FB and AAPL tonight. Tomorrow should be good again. Next week a lot of software companies report. Looking forward to FSLY and LVGO Wed and Thursday.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Amazon needs to follow suit and do at least a 10 for 1 split so a lot more people can participate. Don’t count on AAPL only being 100 by 8/24. Huge earnings by Amazon, FB and AAPL tonight. Tomorrow should be good again. Next week a lot of software companies report. Looking forward to FSLY and LVGO Wed and Thursday.

I forgot to set my alert, I was going to buy LVGO when it pulled back to around $100.

Reaction Score
I forgot to set my alert, I was going to buy LVGO when it pulled back to around $100.
Haha, i remember that. Don’t think we’ll ever see that again unless it’s after a split :)

Reaction Score
YUP, the next level of support is about $110, probably won't see that either.
I was so loaded up on it at 105 but got nervous holding so much and sold 60% :(. We can have conviction all we want on stocks we know well but this is a very unprecedented time and there’s always the fear a lot of these companies up 200 to 400% could fall through support at any time and give up much of these gains. Putting stuff away and only checking it periodically is the best way to true wealth but for me a lot easier said than done.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
If you've only been investing for 10 years than you've only seen a bull market. No disrespect but you've only experienced the stimulated market.

Okay that's fair, however, YTD I have a return of 28% vs the S&P at -3%. So in the last decade of the bull market I out paced the market significantly and this past year with all the volatility I've far out-returned the market.

I'm certainly not an expert and not posing to be one. I'm 28 years old and have a lot of investing through turbulent times and learning ahead. I was a Finance major at UConn and worked in the industry for the past 6 years, so I think that experience does give me a solid platform to build from.

I do feel like I have made some pretty good long term investment decisions based on diligent research and a strategy based on convictions. Also, it's worth noting that I'm not just throwing around play money and making small trades. I'm investing my entire life savings (solid six figures), so all my chips are on the table. I take this stuff seriously.

Reaction Score
Okay that's fair, however, the last 12 months I have a 23% return vs the S&P at 7.5%. So in the last decade of the bull market I out paced the market significantly and this past year with all the volatility I've returned almost 3X the market.

I'm certainly not an expert and not posing to be one. I'm 28 years old and have a lot of investing through turbulent times and learning ahead. I was a Finance major at UConn and worked in the industry for the past 6 years, so I think that experience does give me a solid platform to build from.

I do feel like I have made some pretty good long term investment decisions based on diligent research and a strategy based on convictions. Also, it's worth noting that I'm not just throwing around play money and making small trades. I'm investing my entire life savings (solid six figures), so all my chips are on the table. I take this stuff seriously.

Hat's off to you.....really. And at 28 you should have a fairly good appetite for risk tolerance.

That said, I'm always skeptical of how returns are portrayed and I am a big believer in John Bogle's belief that eventually returns revert to the mean. Your returns over the last 12 months are impressive, but I would bet you are heavily tech based, and while you handily beat the S&P, I don't think you beat the NASDAQ. If that's the case, you really haven't presented risk adjusted returns.

I'm not an investment professional, but I've been in finance and business for almost 40 years now. I can tell you from experience when someone quotes me investment performance I drill down. If I see anything that is inconsistent I hit the delete key.

Reaction Score
Anyone that bought into the few crypto projects us geeks suggested are up around 20% for the week.
ETH is going on a tear- my Wall Street friends are now calling me - A few months ago they wanted to buy me a tinfoil hat.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Hat's off to you.....really. And at 28 you should have a fairly good appetite for risk tolerance.

That said, I'm always skeptical of how returns are portrayed and I am a big believer in John Bogle's belief that eventually returns revert to the mean. Your returns over the last 12 months are impressive, but I would bet you are heavily tech based, and while you handily beat the S&P, I don't think you beat the NASDAQ. If that's the case, you really haven't presented risk adjusted returns.

I'm not an investment professional, but I've been in finance and business for almost 40 years now. I can tell you from experience when someone quotes me investment performance I drill down. If I see anything that is inconsistent I hit the delete key.

Good point. Yes my risk tolerance is definitely higher and a more risk adjusted benchmark should be used. I'm using 6/30 YTD numbers from Fidelity, 7/31 I'll have early next week. NASDAQ Composite total return YTD in that period is only 12.67%. NASDAQ up 31% over past 3 months, I'm at 36% in the same time span, so on par / slightly ahead.

Yes I am in all tech and B2B stocks, most of my core composition has not changed in a few years - I own PayPal, SalesForce (via Tableau acquisition), Mitek, Qualys and I used the dip on Square to buy it in the 50s. I held on to everything (plus bought Square) through the drop and the subsequent run up.

Sold off a bunch of shares the past month and am at 80% cash. Have never traded, always been buy and hold, but the prospects on getting to cash out at most of these stocks' highs and potentially rebuy with a second dip is too tasty. If I'm wrong, I can always get back in here or pay the premium to buy back at slightly higher levels.

Reaction Score
My second biggest holding. I don't know tons about them it's all technical-based, I added to it recently too. So relatively strong most days. But we're doomed!

Reaction Score
I was so loaded up on it at 105 but got nervous holding so much and sold 60% :(. We can have conviction all we want on stocks we know well but this is a very unprecedented time and there’s always the fear a lot of these companies up 200 to 400% could fall through support at any time and give up much of these gains. Putting stuff away and only checking it periodically is the best way to true wealth but for me a lot easier said than done.
I feel you, I'm owning almost all tech and it's has been tough the past few weeks. So much underperformance so many days and then rip face off rally which makes it look better after being down 75-80% of the week seemingly in the QQQs.

I sold some LVGO between 115-123 the past few days because that drop from 118-100 one afternoon. Will try to back that 20-25% if it dips. For me, selling some into strength is helpful to stay in a name and simply therapeutic after that massive plunge we often see in the winners unannounced, when inevitably we go golfing or step away!

Maybe selling a little into strength would help, I'm pretty fragile at times so it helps me stay with my favorite stocks esp the ones I don't know as much about that are strong technically.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
This read just reminds me of a good quote I read the other day.

stock price is a matter of opinion. Cash flow (dividends) are fact.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom