OT: Stock trading | Page 27 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

Reaction Score
I bought Gilead after hours months ago at 89 after the initial study results were announced. Sold it at a loss the next day after analysts said they didn’t expect to make much profit on the drug. Consensus is whoever develops the best drugs and vaccines will be pressured to sell just above cost as a good corporate citizen.
They have the only proven effective treatment, two drugs have FDA approval and it never moves. Meanwhile scam companies who are promising vaccines which won't pan out are like rocket ships.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Gilead, not sure I've ever seen a company get so much great news and never move.
Great news? They’ve been deservingly battered in the news in the past. They are the type who will never get a dollar from me.

Reaction Score
Great news? They’ve been deservingly battered in the news in the past. They are the type who will never get a dollar from me.

Yes, great news. Only effective drug for Covid.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Gilead should be forced to hand this drug over to the US public. We’ve basically paid for it already.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just saw on the news this evening that Pfiser may be going to phase 3 of their vaccine testing which is showing very positive results. Thya could have a vaccine ready for market by oct./ november.

Reaction Score
Just saw on the news this evening that Pfiser may be going to phase 3 of their vaccine testing which is showing very positive results. Thya could have a vaccine ready for market by oct./ november.
Thanks for the heads up. My stuff is very cloud and work from home oriented. I’d need to adjust quickly if that happens.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Thanks for the heads up. My stuff is very cloud and work from home oriented. I’d need to adjust quickly if that happens.

Yeah, not buying in the 32s was Probably an awful Life decision

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I.

I bought another 500 about a week ago. Gonna maybe get a bit more and even out at 1000. I am concerned if bitcoin breaks the $9400 level and makes a run- the alts May get beat up for a few weeks ( although chainlink has been moving counter to the alts at times).
This may be a good answer for the person that asked what will be the next Amazon.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Held my nose and picked up some Tesla on Thursday and got a nice bump on Friday. Hoping for good earnings and addition to the S&P but I'm a bit skeptical of the run it's on.

Reaction Score
Held my nose and picked up some Tesla on Thursday and got a nice bump on Friday. Hoping for good earnings and addition to the S&P but I'm a bit skeptical of the run it's on.
Same. Just added to what I had. It completely saved my day Friday. Definite chance it goes down a few hundred points or more soon enough but I’ve learned to just hold it. It’s a volatile stock, longterm patience will be rewarded though.

Reaction Score

I understand that Ripple will be a good tool and if it move near its all time high again the move from its current value to $2-$3 is still huge. But because its centralized and in my mind replaceable down the road- I think you ride it up and then sell at least 60% of it. Not a 2-5 year hold like many of the others I'm adding.
VE chain is interesting. But projects that this have these high multiples of tokens- I think are going to take longer to mature/ add value- longer window of opportunity.
A currency I like with a large circulation is digibyte.
All of this is just MHO of course.

Reaction Score
Question - My 13 yr old has taken a sudden interest in stock trading. I told him a few weeks ago to write down what he'd buy and we'll track it and see how he does. He wants to take some of his saved up birthday / christmas money and invest.
I want to upload $200-300, let him do his thing, and not worry about him accidentally pulling money from my linked bank account or something. He has mentioned robinhood and ameritrade. What do you recommend? Thanks!

Reaction Score
Question - My 13 yr old has taken a sudden interest in stock trading. I told him a few weeks ago to write down what he'd buy and we'll track it and see how he does. He wants to take some of his saved up birthday / christmas money and invest.
I want to upload $200-300, let him do his thing, and not worry about him accidentally pulling money from my linked bank account or something. He has mentioned robinhood and ameritrade. What do you recommend? Thanks!

Honestly, why teach a 13 year old how to “trade”? Why not have him research a company and make a long-term investment to track. He will learn about business and the stock market?

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Same thing @uconndogs. Buying and holding is “trading.” No need to split hairs.

And I would totally encourage your kid to do this @tiger8mush. What a way to learn about saving, consumer trends, and the market in general. And if he takes a loss, that’s a good lesson too. Teach him about divesting as well! It’s also a good way to bond. Robinhood is all you need for this - I use it, and for this, I’d recommend it.

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

I understand that Ripple will be a good tool and if it move near its all time high again the move from its current value to $2-$3 is still huge. But because its centralized and in my mind replaceable down the road- I think you ride it up and then sell at least 60% of it. Not a 2-5 year hold like many of the others I'm adding.
VE chain is interesting. But projects that this have these high multiples of tokens- I think are going to take longer to mature/ add value- longer window of opportunity.
A currency I like with a large circulation is digibyte.
All of this is just MHO of course.
4E801732-62BA-42BF-86E1-EF7440A1E2E9.jpeg

Reaction Score

The day trading that is frequently referenced in this thread is far from investing. That’s not to say the kid couldn’t learn a lot about probability and statistics from learning how to play blackjack or craps. But, that’s not investing or learning about business fundamentals.

Reaction Score
Honestly, why teach a 13 year old how to “trade”? Why not have him research a company and make a long-term investment to track. He will learn about business and the stock market?
Thanks for the advice. What site would you recommend he use to make such an investment?

p.s. thanks @XLCenterFan for your advice!

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score

And I would totally encourage your kid to do this @tiger8mush. What a way to learn about saving, consumer trends, and the market in general. And if he takes a loss, that’s a good lesson too. Teach him about divesting as well! It’s also a good way to bond. Robinhood is all you need for this - I use it, and for this, I’d recommend it.
I'll also add: Have him invest in companies he's interested in to make it fun. Does he wear Nike sneakers? Buy Nike stock. Loves Avengers or Star Wars movies? Buy some Disney.

Reaction Score
I’m thinking about buying a large share of NFLX. I will sell if they blow away earnings estimates and I will hold if it falls post earnings report.

Reaction Score

OK so first of all, he can't have his own account until he is 18 which you probably already now. Kids these days are super savy and I bet you could set up a paper trading account in your name that he can play with, go through the technical analysis tutorials and both of you will learn valuable information. There is long term investing and there is trading. When people make statements that "trading" is a crap shoot or "rolling the dice" it's and indication that they have no clue about charting or reading technicals which really are not that difficult if you do your homework.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom