OT: Stock trading | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Anyone have any big misses? When I first started trading out of college in 2013, I was short term trading. Now I mainly buy and hold.

My first trade ever was 700 shares of AMRN at $1.61 a share. Sold it at $2.20. It recently traded at $24. Would have been a $16K gain.

Same year I bought 34 shares of DXCM at $32.58/share. Sold at $34. Trading at $405 now. $12,000 gain.

Bought $660 shares of CVM at $.62 sold at $.90. Trading at $14.22 today. $9k gain.

Lots of other early sells which would have netted $3-8k range gains as well. NVAX, PLUG, BBY.

Making profits aren’t misses imo. You’re just getting base hits instead of home runs.

But that’s the other thing that makes trading hard. You miss out on big hits because youre moving in and out of positions too quickly

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Making profits aren’t misses imo. You’re just getting base hits instead of home runs.

But that’s the other thing that makes trading hard. You miss out on big hits because youre moving in and out of positions too quickly
"Any profit is good profit"

Reaction Score
There are a few buys under 20 left out there imo. But they’re not legitimately $20 stocks.

I’m still pissed I missed out on ozk when it dropped to like 16.
There are several in the commodities sector. Check out Freeport McMoran. Pays a dividend and is the largest copper miner in the world, also the world's largest miner of molybdenum, also mines 10-20% of all the gold in the world. Symbol is FCX. Commodities have gotten crushed since the boom in the early 2000's. Also check out CF Industries if you're into farming stocks, symbol is CF.

Reaction Score
Gilead would be a great move. I called it before remdesivir studies looked positive and now that they look pretty good and the approval is secure, it seems even better. They also have other good products.
Today alone they’re up almost $3 or over 3% (and the rest of the market is down...biotech stocks are usually pretty solid as well.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
When
Anyone have any big misses? When I first started trading out of college in 2013, I was short term trading. Now I mainly buy and hold.

My first trade ever was 700 shares of AMRN at $1.61 a share. Sold it at $2.20. It recently traded at $24. Would have been a $16K gain.

Same year I bought 34 shares of DXCM at $32.58/share. Sold at $34. Trading at $405 now. $12,000 gain.

Bought $660 shares of CVM at $.62 sold at $.90. Trading at $14.22 today. $9k gain.

Lots of other early sells which would have netted $3-8k range gains as well. NVAX, PLUG, BBY.

When I first got into investing I was the same way. Never would have had winners like yours, but If I made like 20% on something I’d probably sell it all to “lock in” the gains. The problem is, I was just as impatient when stocks when down, so for a number of years it was a zero sum game. As my confidence in my ability has grown, my patience to buy and hold has also grown. Now I basically only sell something if my strategy (segments) or the stock itself has fundamentally changed.

Reaction Score
My big gains have been in mobile gaming. GLUU and ZNGA have been very, very good to me and they're super cheap stocks you can pile on now.

I'm mostly a dividend guy right now. Best investment you can possibly make is erasing any debt you can and trading slow growth. I'm in a boatload of High Dividend yield ETF's and REITS. TIPS are great if you're worried about inflation. Outside of that, I hate giving people investment advice especially at a time like this where legit you could roll in it tomorrow or be up the creek. That an your investment strategy needs to be yours, not someone else's. Don't go looking around for a pat on the back or reassurance. Do your homework, too.

But generally speaking, you won't get rich, but you'll get growth, better your financial future and protect yourself against volatility in general doing the mix I suggested above. It's not full proof, nothing is - but it's your best bet if you want to start investing well, learn the ropes, etc. And I mean there's huge limitations to Robin Hood, but there's always something to tossing $100-$200 on there and just messing around with low-dollar stocks. If you lose it,consider it an investment in your education. Honestly - that's mostly how I learned about the market. By just doing it. Made some hilariously stupid and naive mistakes - but also made some really good ones. Just don't ever get in over your head until you've really got a handle on what you're doing.

Reaction Score
My big gains have been in mobile gaming. GLUU and ZNGA have been very, very good to me and they're super cheap stocks you can pile on now.

I'm mostly a dividend guy right now. Best investment you can possibly make is erasing any debt you can and trading slow growth. I'm in a boatload of High Dividend yield ETF's and REITS. TIPS are great if you're worried about inflation. Outside of that, I hate giving people investment advice especially at a time like this where legit you could roll in it tomorrow or be up the creek. That an your investment strategy needs to be yours, not someone else's. Don't go looking around for a pat on the back or reassurance. Do your homework, too.

But generally speaking, you won't get rich, but you'll get growth, better your financial future and protect yourself against volatility in general doing the mix I suggested above. It's not full proof, nothing is - but it's your best bet if you want to start investing well, learn the ropes, etc. And I mean there's huge limitations to Robin Hood, but there's always something to tossing $100-$200 on there and just messing around with low-dollar stocks. If you lose it,consider it an investment in your education. Honestly - that's mostly how I learned about the market. By just doing it. Made some hilariously stupid and naive mistakes - but also made some really good ones. Just don't ever get in over your head until you've really got a handle on what you're doing.
So I held onto the DocuSign I picked up again at 118 on Friday. Bought more and traded it between 119.50 and 121 several times. The stay at home stocks are white hot now so I’ll keep adding more Docu when it drops. It has been consistently good to me. BX just crossed through 50 and 200 day moving averages, CSCO could cross through them tomorrow. Worth keeping our eyes on.

Reaction Score
Recently, I purchased Boeing, BA, shares at $97 down from a recent high prior to the pandemic, of over $300. A few days later, I read a report that Boeing needed a bailout to survive. The next day, I sell my entire position at a small gain of $98, cause I'm smart. A day later, after the stimulus package was announced, BA hit $177. It still bothers me.

Do your research, stick to your guns and don't panic. Easier said than done. Good luck

The Smile Direct Club, SDC looks like it's moving in the right direction

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Anyone bite on this? Opened +10.58% and closed +72.12% on the day.

Was in on it at 35-40 range just swing trading it for weeks and got bored with it. Knew it would run but not like this at all. $GHSI has been trading verryyy similar to $Mark and will go on very nice run any day now too

Reaction Score

Lots of other misses in the $3-10k range as well.
Plenty. My biggest mistake when I first started trading was not knowing when to sell, I had good picks I made rocket up and and continue to gain over a fairly long period of time and then I would just watch them bleed until I was losing, thinking they would go back up again. You live and learn, lock in gains.

Reaction Score
Anyone bite on this? Opened +10.58% and closed +72.12% on the day.
Really nice pick, hope you made some money. I've been watching it for a few weeks but never got in. I made good trades on some of them since Covid and lost on some. My biggest hit was something like a 400% gain in a day on Worx recently.

Reaction Score
Really nice pick, hope you made some money. I've been watching it for a few weeks but never got in. I made good trades on some of them since Covid and lost on some. My biggest hit was something like a 400% gain in a day on Worx recently.
That’s awesome. I usually don’t do penny stocks, but had a good feeling here, and it was indirectly featured in 60 minutes last night which was lucky as hell too.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score

I had ZYNGA at one point about 8 years ago - don't know why I ever sold it. I agree with lots in this post. I've always preached dividends. I feel like it's hard to go wrong with dividend stocks. Always preached doing it your own way, not someone else's. Also agree with just taking some chances and learning the investment ropes on your own, the hard way. No one has to be a genius to make money investing long-term.

The key is to have multiple buckets - checking, savings, IRA, individual stocks, etc., and to just keep putting money into all of them. Live well but simply, and just keep socking away any free cash. You don't need that Starbucks and you don't need that luxury car. You'll miss on some bets, but you'll also hit too, and it starts to add up quick. IRA contributions get that preferential tax treatment as well. I cant stress this enough to people - the gvt. will pay you to save. It feels like a huge task when you're starting off, but if you commit to it, you'll look back in like 10 years and marvel at what you've learned and how far you've come. I started off just buying and holding on Scottrade like 15 years ago. No financial background at all, but I'm relatively competent and these things were always discussed in my home.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That’s awesome. I usually don’t do penny stocks, but had a good feeling here, and it was indirectly featured in 60 minutes last night which was lucky as hell too.
It's super risky and stressful, they jump around like crazy. A lot of them do eventually jump though but you kind of have to watch them like a hawk.

Reaction Score
I know a little unrelated but can someone advise me about vegas futures offs to win 2021 championship , bovada had uconn 80-1 2 days ago and i was going to take that and then today they are 35-1 :( anyone know about any better odds ???

Reaction Score
I know a little unrelated but can someone advise me about vegas futures offs to win 2021 championship , bovada had uconn 80-1 2 days ago and i was going to take that and then today they are 35-1 :( anyone know about any better odds ???

FanDuel was 40-1 the other day. But since Sanogo verbally committed the odds are getting worse.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I love that people are looking at UCONN futures. And honestly, it's related.

Reaction Score
I would be careful with big tech. The multiples are still crazy in the environment. And amazon needs to split. 2400 a share is silly. That is a big piece for a retail investor. It is still trading at 20 times earnings.

Reaction Score
Shorted Netflix years ago on it's first big jump up. Shorted it at $297, it all time high at that time was 305, then it crashed down to 65-70, covered and went long. Kept my long position until it hit 700, then sold it. A couple weeks later they announced a 7-1 split, then it went from 95 to where it is now.

I've been a trader for years, made my first big chunk of change on Cisco Systems in the early 90's.

I wouldn't go long on anything now except gold. My advice now is to short the Dow or Russell 2000. Good market shorts now are the TZA, SPXU or FAZ. This market is so overbought it's laughable that people are still buying. If you insist on going long, look at commodities with a good dividend, miners, fertilizer, potash, nitrogen stocks. FCX, CF, Mosaic, etc.

You are shorting the Russell 2000? God help us all. And, I like the move. The market perked up because Of stimulus, but stimulus is like drugs. You need more and more to get the desired effect.

i think you are nuts if you are buying in right now. The market is pricing in like we will be normal by the third quarter. Talk about irrational exuberance.

market has priced in bailouts. They are going to expect fed stimulus the moment things turn south .

Reaction Score
Shorted Netflix years ago on it's first big jump up. Shorted it at $297, it all time high at that time was 305, then it crashed down to 65-70, covered and went long. Kept my long position until it hit 700, then sold it. A couple weeks later they announced a 7-1 split, then it went from 95 to where it is now.

I've been a trader for years, made my first big chunk of change on Cisco Systems in the early 90's.

I wouldn't go long on anything now except gold. My advice now is to short the Dow or Russell 2000. Good market shorts now are the TZA, SPXU or FAZ. This market is so overbought it's laughable that people are still buying. If you insist on going long, look at commodities with a good dividend, miners, fertilizer, potash, nitrogen stocks. FCX, CF, Mosaic, etc.

I'm with this guy. Unless you're an experienced investor skilled in puts, calls and when to sell this market with all the uncertain externalities, this market has the potential to be a huge headache over the next 6 months. Volatility may present opportunity for the savvy investor but for amateurs like me (who held a series 7 for a time) it appears the easy rebound money may be out the door. I get the fact that highly liquid investors don't have the patience to sit on the sidelines for very long but there can't be that huge a disconnect between the broader markets and the newly suffering wave of displaced workers, strain on the Healthcare system and debt soaked cities and states.
Proceed with caution or a long time horizon.

Reaction Score
My corporate law professor, legit rock star in his field, thought he was smart for selling Apple at like $50 After buying it under 20.
My dad used to have 1 or 2000 shares of AAPL in the mid 90s. It was when AAPL was primarily a PC maker with not many other products. I think he got out at $15. Can only imagine after some splits what that would be worth now.

Reaction Score
You are shorting the Russell 2000? God help us all. And, I like the move. The market perked up because Of stimulus, but stimulus is like drugs. You need more and more to get the desired effect.

i think you are nuts if you are buying in right now. The market is pricing in like we will be normal by the third quarter. Talk about irrational exuberance.

market has priced in bailouts. They are going to expect fed stimulus the moment things turn south .
Even without the pandemic, I would have shorted the Russell.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom