OT: Stock trading | Page 180 | The Boneyard

OT: Stock trading

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
What would everyones contrarian plays be right now, if we could each contribute one?

Altria, as theyre in an unfavorable market, but they’re well run and they already have a major interest in weed. And plenty of cash or liquid assets to generate cash, on hand.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
fwiw, the former CEO of Scania is building the first new steel mill in Europe in decades in Sweden near the Arctic Circle. It will be powered by liquid hydrogen.

Yeah, I think that’s viable. Cars…it’s too hard and honestly, dangerous. Honda was the one company that tried to make it work.

Nice bounce back today. Even Fauci, who likely cautions people against walking across the street said there is some data suggesting Omicron is less virulent. For him to say that out loud, even with caveats, suggests there is something to it. If it bears out, it goes from “oh no, a horrible vaccine evading variant!” to “Thank God, a less harmful variant that can replace Delta”.

Reaction Score
I think we may be side ways until the new year. Omicron is a nothing burger, market will probably wait and see if BBB plan fails to pass.

Reaction Score
New to the board and crypto...

What are the pros for crypto long-term?

What would be the reason crypto fails long-term?

Reaction Score
What are the pros for crypto long-term? Blockchain technology is here forever and will only continue to improve and impact all aspects of our lives.

What would be the reason crypto fails long-term? Meteor hits Earth. Honestly, I don’t see all of crypto failing but majority of the current token/projects won’t survive. Would suggest doing your homework and exploring crypto that offers utilization/purpose

Just $0.02

Reaction Score
Someone here mentioned LWLG a few months back. Today's was it's highest close ever. Everyone should at least take a look at this one. Low share count, no debt, game changing technology.

Reaction Score
I give you and the marines credit, I’ve lost hope in this project. Focused more on MATIC, AVAX, SOL, ETH. Everyone talks about LINK’s massive potential but 53 to 19 while plenty of others made ATHs seems to be a bit of a red flag. It’s almost the same price as it was in July, 2020.

Agree that blockchain platforms like you mentioned above are the best investments in crypto right now. Eventually projects that allow for interoperability across blockchains as well as oracles will have their day in the sun too.

I see LINK as a really safe bet with huge potential down the road. They completely dominate their space as oracles that allow blockchains to use real world data and aren’t going anywhere. Some of the platforms will eventually fall off and Chainlink is involved in virtually every one so you’re safe almost no matter what.

LINK price at make-or-break point as Chainlink aims to secure $2.27 trillion crypto economy

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
On the Crypto front I asked Balaji what to read and he suggested this. So I did. https://messari.io/pdf/messari-report-crypto-theses-for-2022.pdf

on the stock front, I honestly think 2022 is shaping up to be potentially pretty wild. Lots of volatility. So my only thought is to avoid individual stocks unless you feel really good about the long term.
I agree that 2022 looks to be very volatile, will probably be a trader’s Paradise. Im focusing on companies that are profitable with very reasonable multiples. Many high multiple stocks have been cut down to much fairer levels but there’s still a lot of risk in this market for companies with flimsy fundamentals.

Reaction Score
Doing what I've done for the last 20 years. Boring Vanguard mutual funds through dollar cost averaging each month. Worked so far!
Alternatively, lower-fee ETFs via Vanguard or similar competitors. Here, 90/10 ETFs (few lingering mutual funds)/self-managed securities, cuz' boring's not bad!

Our 10% self-managed securities and global RE's been more profitable for >3 decades and more fun, particularly with more time to focus starting the last decade. In 2021, with helpful insights from @uconntoatl and others enjoyed toe-dipping in Link on its' biggest dips.

2022, more JP after shifting out of large chunk of NYSE-listed mainland stocks/ADRs last year, more adds to robotics and alt energy ETFs after recent dips, and maybe some ETH on bigger dips. Today, unplanned add to SE near today's low after Tencent announced plans to divest about 2.5% of its' SE holdings at roughly $15 over current price.

Reaction Score
Chainlink staking announced and CCIP to be released in 2022. 75 Billion Dollars secured by Chainlink network. Also, Eric Schmidt (former Google CEO) recently joined Chainlink Labs as an advisor. "He's beginning to believe." ~Morpheus.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree that blockchain platforms like you mentioned above are the best investments in crypto right now. Eventually projects that allow for interoperability across blockchains as well as oracles will have their day in the sun too.

I see LINK as a really safe bet with huge potential down the road. They completely dominate their space as oracles that allow blockchains to use real world data and aren’t going anywhere. Some of the platforms will eventually fall off and Chainlink is involved in virtually every one so you’re safe almost no matter what.

LINK price at make-or-break point as Chainlink aims to secure $2.27 trillion crypto economy
All roads always lead back to Chainlink.

Reaction Score

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Dividend companies and ETF's are what im looking at.
This as well. Couldn't agree more. I made my New Year's investing plans early this year and put them into motion around Thanksgiving.

I had fun riding the pandemic market wave, but I need more stability. At one point I was up 142% and the wave came crashing down, leaving me up 23%. It was fun while it lasted though! And don't get me wrong, I will still be taking a few shots in the market, bit I'm going to be much safer this year with more dividend stocks and ETF's. My first 2 ETF plays have been JO (coffee) and GLTR (precious metals basket). JO is up 7% for me so far and GLTR is down 1%.

I'm holding PayPal (down 9%)...it will bounce back some.
Started buying discount retailers Dollar Tree (up 36%), Dollar General (up 4%), and TJX (up 7%).
Also started buying AMKBY - they own the most shipping containers in the world. Up 5%
And who can forget DPLS!? Holding! Up 32%

Reaction Score
I’ve been getting slaughtered the last couple months in my heavy tech portfolio which is now down YoY. My individual stocks are a small portion of my overall portfolio but damn it hurts to watch.

Debating selling and just combining cash with my index funds account. Or at least consolidate down to just blue chips. Maybe that Warren Buffet guy was right.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
What’s a great ETF for semiconductors? I want more broad exposure to this industry.

I will admit here I’m long Intel. I like Pat Gelsinger, who was good at EMC and then great at VMW. Have listened too him often enough to consider him very forward looking. He is ex Intel and came back to fix it. It’s not an easy fix, and he is making big long term changes. Market of course, focuses on near term and punishes the stock. But I expect Intel to bring a lot of capacity online, including US and European manufacturing. They will also catch up on performance. I think the stock is a bargain.

Reaction Score
I will admit here I’m long Intel. I like Pat Gelsinger, who was good at EMC and then great at VMW. Have listened too him often enough to consider him very forward looking. He is ex Intel and came back to fix it. It’s not an easy fix, and he is making big long term changes. Market of course, focuses on near term and punishes the stock. But I expect Intel to bring a lot of capacity online, including US and European manufacturing. They will also catch up on performance. I think the stock is a bargain.
I'm just hanging on INTC LT; flat now, & continue hoping Gelsinger pulls it off. In general, western world must manufacture more outside at-risk Taiwan and its' west TW mainland

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom