Stock trading | Page 201 | The Boneyard

Stock trading

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Options are not complicated, they’re actually quite simple. Both “put” and “call” options are contracts that give the trader the option to either sell his holdings at a price above the current market price (a put), or to purchase shares at a price that’s quite a bit under the current market price.
What part of my MBA level finance class at UConn on them made you think I didn’t know that? Valuing them is not simple.

Reaction Score
Options are not complicated, they’re actually quite simple. Both “put” and “call” options are contracts that give the trader the option to either sell his holdings at a price above the current market price (a put), or to purchase shares at a price that’s quite a bit under the current market price.

You answered "what is an option?," not "how to trade options."

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I can think of no greater flaw when investing or trading than hubris.
You answered "what is an option?," not "how to trade options."
One would think the short squeeze on GameStop would illustrate this point. Intrinsic valuation metrics would have produced a radically different result than what we saw. The markets are no longer rational and have gotten less rational over time since online trading opened them to the masses (which was a good thing). Joe investor isn't calculating the present value of future earnings and dividends then adjusting for risk. He is saying, "Coke seems like a solid company with decent dividends" or "I bet this company will do well as we make more EV batteries". Or for GameStop, that enough small investors working collectively can artificially inflate any asset as long as they don't fear the losses. No model can predict that.

I used options as simple leverage back in the late 90s and 00s, because I lacked the funds to buy shares. I once knew how to build complicated spreads that guaranteed a return, but those required massive capital for relatively small ROI. Big players with supercomputers own that space. They still work as leverage, and for short positions, but I no longer need to accept the additional risk that comes with that. If others do, go for it.

Reaction Score
What part of my MBA level finance class at UConn on them made you think I didn’t know that? Valuing them is not simple.
Actually valuing them is quite simple, they are just a reflection of the underlying stock price and all you need is an understanding of simple technical analysis and resistance and support levels to predict the short term trends. If you’re holding calls on Stock ABC and the price of the stock goes up a lot on heavy volume then that option is like gold.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Actually valuing them is quite simple, they are just a reflection of the underlying stock price and all you need is an understanding of simple technical analysis and resistance and support levels to predict the short term trends. If you’re holding calls on Stock ABC and the price of the stock goes up a lot on heavy volume then that option is like gold.
That is simply "leverage". That's the most simplistic view of them as a leveraged proxy for the underlying stock. Stock drops and your call can be worth zero, which is why it carries greater risk than holding the shares.

But that's not how professional traders look at them. There are millions of little micro adjustments in those option prices that don't always track the stock. The goal is to exploit those. Used to be people with calculators doing that math, but now I'm sure sophisticated programs do all of it.

Reaction Score
That is simply "leverage". That's the most simplistic view of them as a leveraged proxy for the underlying stock. Stock drops and your call can be worth zero, which is why it carries greater risk than holding the shares.

But that's not how professional traders look at them. There are millions of little micro adjustments in those option prices that don't always track the stock. The goal is to exploit those. Used to be people with calculators doing that math, but now I'm sure sophisticated programs do all of it.
Yes, the risk is greater but so are the rewards. Then again if you’re long the stock and think it might drop buy some puts then you could still sell it at a good price or you could just sell the put option at its fair market value. What’s key here is the ability to read a short term chart and recognize selling pressure or buying pressure. I’m old style and it still works.

Reaction Score
That’s precisely why now’s the time to buy them. With interest rates going up bonds and treasuries are attractive. Or like I told the other dumb dumb just find over bought stocks and sell them short. You do know how Joseph P Kennedy made the family fortune? It wasn’t bootlegging either.
Lol, the stock market has basically gone straight and to the right since 1940. Look at the numbers. Yes there are short downturns, but you can draw a line straight up and to the right. Plot that against the inflation adjusted value of the dollar and tell me how you plan to keep up with rising costs if you don’t invest in stocks.
"Of course it’s gone straight to the right unless you’re living in a time machine. Lol. Time does move forward last I checked."
Obviously he mistyped and didn't put in UP and to the right, don't be daft.

Joseph P Kennedy? Gold and silver... I don't think we can rule out the possibility that you are 120 years old.

Reaction Score
"Of course it’s gone straight to the right unless you’re living in a time machine. Lol. Time does move forward last I checked."
Obviously he mistyped and didn't put in UP and to the right, don't be daft.

Joseph P Kennedy? Gold and silver... I don't think we can rule out the possibility that you are 120 years old.
Good luck to you in your trading.

Reaction Score
Options can be used for hedging, speculation, or incremental revenue, depending on your strategy. That's the beauty. It's a way of managing risk. It requires a bit of homework to learn the different strategies, but there are free tools, webinars and videos today, that didn't exist 10 years ago. I own a bunch of stock for the dividends or LT holdings, but most of my 1099 profits is from options trading. I make more from this than my job I love.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom