OT- Stick a fork in Goodell | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT- Stick a fork in Goodell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think it's ironic that a guy who made his reputation on doling out heavy punishments to players, teams, and coaches is in hot water because, for some reason, he decided to let Rice off easy.

If he had given him 6 games and then possibly reduced it 4 in August or September (like he did with Roethlisberger), there wouldn't have been any of the original outcry about the 2 game suspension. Even if the elevator tape was released, he could have increased the suspension.

Instead, he's in a mess of his own creation.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I understand that Goodell handled this wrong but this TMZ (entertainment off people's misery ) is terrible .

They may be scum, but somebody has to do it. Otherwise, the NFL skates, and nobody gives a flying duckck about domestic violence. That tape got people's blood up (for good reason), which appears to be what was needed for people to actually give a crap.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
They may be scum, but somebody has to do it. Otherwise, the NFL skates, and nobody gives a flying duckck about domestic violence. That tape got people's blood up (for good reason), which appears to be what was needed for people to actually give a crap.

Good points but yes , TMZ is scum and they could care less about domestic violence , Janay Rice or public opinion . It was about money and ratings. I
Hope we find out how much money they paid and who they ( TMZ) paid.

Reaction Score
I personally wouldnt be surprised if tomorrow's headline involved the nfl paying people off to stfu. There was never any money to be made here, besides by tabloids, which are probably untouchable now that Revel blew up. Seems alot like a property liability case with all the anonymous sources, but the host's bankruptcy means its the wild west. Oh so many scumbags.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I have a feeling some low level manager is gonna take a big header for this. Some poor guy is going to get hung right out to dry, so Goodell and the rest can walk.

Reaction Score
I have a feeling some low level manager is gonna take a big header for this. Some poor guy is going to get hung right out to dry, so Goodell and the rest can walk.
That isn't going to hold up, "it wasn't passed up the chain of command" just isn't going to fly. The NFL will still make money hand over fist if Screech was in charge. The owners aren't going to like being continually lied to and most of all they don't like this PR disaster, it's not like Goodell has endeared himself to everyone in the game over the years, the players are already turning on him and so will the advertisers and owners. As James Harrison tweeted, "ain't no fun when the rabbit got the gun, huh."

intlzncster

Reaction Score
That isn't going to hold up, "it wasn't passed up the chain of command" just isn't going to fly. The NFL will still make money hand over fist if Screech was in charge. The owners aren't going to like being continually lied to and most of all they don't like this PR disaster, it's not like Goodell has endeared himself to everyone in the game over the years, the players are already turning on him and so will the advertisers and owners. As James Harrison tweeted, "ain't no fun when the rabbit got the gun, huh."

Perhaps. When billions of dollars are at stake, the game changes. I laugh every time I see a "rogue trader" take the fall for losing 100's of millions of dollars at a finance house--like those firms don't have checks and balances out the arse.

And just to note: James Harrison was arrested and charged after allegedly assaulting a woman in 2008. There's gotta be some irony in there somewhere.

Reaction Score
Perhaps. When billions of dollars are at stake, the game changes. I laugh every time I see a "rogue trader" take the fall for losing 100's of millions of dollars at a finance house--like those firms don't have checks and balances out the arse.

And just to note: James Harrison was arrested and charged after allegedly assaulting a woman in 2008. There's gotta be some irony in there somewhere.
Of course Goodell had no problem with Harrison' s behavior with women, it was his tackling he was getting constantly fined for.

Reaction Score
What? Really? Yes, maybe don't punch your wife and they won't bother you.
Yeah... you do realize that's none of your business, none of my business and none of TMZ's business, right ? TMZ and their ilk are one of THE lowest forms of human life on the planet. Absolute bottom feeders who deserve no respect whatsoever.

Reaction Score
So in your view, the only way or the only reason anyone would give a duckck about domestic violence is if it ends up on TMZ ?

That's great for Janay Rice (her involvement and rant against the media not withstanding), but domestic violence is a vastly greater problem with people that have zero chance of their BS ending up on TMZ. If that's the only way this issue gets any play, that's a problem, don't you think ? TMZ isn't going to do squat for the greater societal problem of domestic violence.

Horatio or whomever was exactly right - TMZ doesn't give a damn about domestic violence. In fact, its good for business. Most likely if they were being honest, they'd admit they wish there was more of it.

Reaction Score
Yeah... you do realize that's none of your business, none of my business and none of TMZ's business, right ? TMZ and their ilk are one of THE lowest forms of human life on the planet. Absolute bottom feeders who deserve no respect whatsoever.

Freedom of the press deadrody, I don't think TMZ is in the business of domestic violence prevention, they are just reporting the news (they are scummy though).

Reaction Score

Anyone being arrested is public information. Especially when we're talking about the individual in question being a public figure who lied about what happened. Exposing the situation was the right thing to do, even if they did it "for the wrong reasons."

Reaction Score
This whole thing is sad and stupid.

Guy admits he punches his wife and knocks her out. Video shows her getting dragged off elevator.

Response?

2 game suspension from league and his team rushes to his defense and puts out material indicating he is a good guy.

Video of the "punch" shows up, which doesn't add anything at all, except maybe his apparent indifference to her unconsciousness.

Response?

Indefinite suspension and he is fired.

Seems to me that the NFL and the Ravens knew they screwed up, and that this wasn't going away, and the magical appearance of the videotape was a very poor pretext to dump this loser out of the NFL.

Best part about all of this is the following:

Fiancee walks up to him in the hallway and smacks him in his face, totally provoking him.
Guy keeps it together long enough to wait until he gets in the elevator - I would have smacked her back right in the hallway.
He then gives her what appears to be a minor tap in the face on the elevator.
So what does this crazy woman do? Does she get the message that he is not going to allow her to hit him freely?
Nah.
She physically attacks him in the elevator.
What does he do? He punches/forearms her like he believes Mike Tyson is coming at him.

So she's incredibly stupid for provoking him and physically assaulting him (she should be arrested and convicted of two counts of assault).
And he's incredibly stupid for escalating it and laying the heavy gloves on a dainty woman.

And which one do you think regrets their decisions more? Him or her?

At the end of the day, she deserved to be slapped just like she slapped him. Anything less, or that tired old, mysogenistic, anti-woman, paternalistic, demeaning tripe that you should "never hit a woman", is disrespectful to her and all women.

I tell my girls - never let a man strike you. I also tell them, never hit your man, and if you do, and he hits you back with the same force, you deserved it, and learn a lesson.
Strummer, some of your posts are funny and on point. This one however is not. If you are serious about this, which you may not be, you are just plain wrong. No matter how much he was provoked, he should have walked away. It takes a bigger man to walk away. It is never acceptable to smack your spouse, girlfriend or lover, you can always walk away. Is it easy to do? No, but its the right thing to do. You should be teaching your daughters if they are ever abused physically, verbally or emotionally to get out and seek help. In our 21 years of marriage we have never slapped each other. Have we argued and yelled at each other? Yes, and we've been mighty pi ss ed off at times. We just KNOW it's wrong and it changes everything. By your logic if you get slapped you can slap back, if you get punched you can punch back. At what point is it not okay?At what point do you say this relationship is broken. Clearly they both need help, but when they start feeling that it's ok to be physical like we saw in the video and he thinks it's ok to ko her, you know it is far from healthy and can't be condoned.
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ine-physical-abuse-in-relationships-slap-push

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's crazy to me that all of the anger is directed at the NFL and not the flawed criminal justice system that would just let this guy walk. Are we now expecting employers to handle this task?

Reaction Score
It's crazy to me that all of the anger is directed at the NFL and not the flawed criminal justice system that would just let this guy walk. Are we now expecting employers to handle this task?

There's an investigation into that as well, did you miss that?

The anger with the NFL is that they lied about the video.

Reaction Score
Roger Goodell is the most powerful sports executive in the world. There's no way he's falling off the mountaintop for this.
There's enough gray in the timing and what was/wasn't given to whoever. He revised the punishments in August to the 6 game ban followed by a lifetime ban. I'm sure there'll be all sorts of mandatory classes that each team needs to take in training camps in order to "ensure" they are aware of what's acceptable and unacceptable. There are way too many cracks he can wriggle into without giving up his position for this one.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
First time offender he was caught.

Reaction Score
First time offender he was caught.
I just don't know why we are expecting an employer to punish people more severely than our criminal system. (They certainly can but the backlash at the NFL (and not the court) for not punishing him more severely seems misguided to me).

Husky25

Reaction Score
Business??? What business??? The business of what??? Prying into people's lives and stirring up problems for people at their weak points???? Following people around, combing through garbage to embarrass people just so they can giggle about it. Oh so now the TMZ staff can all go out to dinner and give each other high fives because they stuck it to the NFL and the Rice's
For whatever reason, public figures are held to a different standard in terms of privacy. First of all, they have a much higher level of exposure and because of this, the public is generally more interested (disregarding compensation for a moment.).

What if Sports Illustrated broke the tape? Or Yahoo Sports? Or the Baltimore Sun? TMZ serves the same purpose in the non-sports, non-news entertainment industry akin to US Weekly, Entertainment Weekly, People, etc. Though I think TMZ is generally despicable, I don't have a problem with their role in the Ray Rice episode. TMZ did one thing for sure. They brought domestic violence out of the back page of the police logs and into the public consciousness. One can only hope that it doesn't end up like the banking scandal were the biggest perpetrators are not held accountable for their actions.

Reaction Score

Guy admits he punches his wife and knocks her out. Video shows her getting dragged off elevator.

Response?

2 game suspension from league and his team rushes to his defense and puts out material indicating he is a good guy.

Video of the "punch" shows up, which doesn't add anything at all, except maybe his apparent indifference to her unconsciousness.

Response?

Seems to me that the NFL and the Ravens knew they screwed up, and that this wasn't going away, and the magical appearance of the videotape was a very poor pretext to dump this loser out of the NFL.

Fiancee walks up to him in the hallway and smacks him in his face, totally provoking him.
Guy keeps it together long enough to wait until he gets in the elevator - I would have smacked her back right in the hallway.
So what does this crazy woman do? Does she get the message that he is not going to allow her to hit him freely?
Nah.
What does he do? He punches/forearms her like he believes Mike Tyson is coming at him.

So she's incredibly stupid for provoking him and physically assaulting him (she should be arrested and convicted of two counts of assault).
And he's incredibly stupid for escalating it and laying the heavy gloves on a dainty woman.

At the end of the day, she deserved to be slapped just like she slapped him. Anything less, or that tired old, mysogenistic, anti-woman, paternalistic, demeaning tripe that you should "never hit a woman", is disrespectful to her and all women.

I tell my girls - never let a man strike you. I also tell them, never hit your man, and if you do, and he hits you back with the same force, you deserved it, and learn a lesson.

You're a real piece of %#%@

Husky25

Reaction Score
I just don't know why we are expecting an employer to punish people more severely than our criminal system. (They certainly can but the backlash at the NFL (and not the court) for not punishing him more severely seems misguided to me).

The employer has no interest in punishing Rice. Their interest is in keeping the cash flow steady (i.e. not lose partners and sponsors). The outcry was so great that they had to separate themselves from him as far as possible. His punishment is a by-product of a business decision to maintain public relations. Neither the Ravens nor the NFL are heroes to domestic violence victims (Just like the Panthers and Patriots are no heroes to families of murder victims). They reacted to the severity of an act captured by video. That is it. Rice was expecting to rejoin the team tomorrow.

Do you think Bobby Knight would have left Indiana if that practice tape didn't exist? because whoever does is only kidding themselves.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's outrageous how Goodell has handled this whole situation and it's as clear as day there was a cover-up. He can talk all he wants about the integrity of the game and how the NFL represents leadership, he has shown zero leadership and now we have proof that he's a bald-faced liar, he is done.

He reminds me of Emmert and not in a good way.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
So in your view, the only way or the only reason anyone would give a duckck about domestic violence is if it ends up on TMZ ?

That's great for Janay Rice (her involvement and rant against the media not withstanding), but domestic violence is a vastly greater problem with people that have zero chance of their BS ending up on TMZ. If that's the only way this issue gets any play, that's a problem, don't you think ? TMZ isn't going to do squat for the greater societal problem of domestic violence.

Horatio or whomever was exactly right - TMZ doesn't give a damn about domestic violence. In fact, its good for business. Most likely if they were being honest, they'd admit they wish there was more of it.

Honestly, the vast majority of people in the country did not give a rats arse about the issue prior to that second video coming out. That's easy to see. It was, "only 2 games? that's BS. [insert joke about marijuana vs domestic abuse suspension length] Now, let's plays some football!"

Now, upon release of the 2nd video, the outrage is palpable. People are up in arms, and attention is being paid to abuse and violence in general, not just this specific situation.

In terms of the big picture perception of domestic abuse/violence, the release of the second tape has been a net benefit in the fight against this problem*. TMZ's release of the tape cause this. Their motivations are irrelevant.

*For Janay Rice herself, the release of the tape has obviously had a negative effect.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Response?

Response?

Nah.

I'm sure that there's a thread on the woman's board on this. Repost there, I'm sure that you'll get the reaction you are looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom