Stewie's finest 18 minutes of basketball excellence EVER..!!! | The Boneyard

Stewie's finest 18 minutes of basketball excellence EVER..!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Stewie 16.jpeg

At the 6:47 mark of the 1st half, Stewie missed her 5th shot of the game. Seven shots, five misses. For the next 18 minutes, covering the final 7 minutes in the 1st half and first 11 minutes in the 2nd half, she played the finest basketball of her career at UConn..!! Consider the following:

1. She did not miss a shot from the field for that 18 minutes.
2. Stewie scored 23 points during that time. Texas scored 26. ;)
3. Her 9 rebounds were more than any Texas player grabbed all game.
4. The 5 assists tied the only Texas player w/ 5 all game.
5. She went 2-2 from three point range.
6. Stewie also had a steal and a block.
7. She had 1 turnover in those 18 minutes.
8. She played 31 straight minutes, without subbing out, until leaving the game for good at the 9 minute mark.

Stewie being Stewie, like never before..!! :cool:

Reaction Score
One of her best games in quite awhile; importantly she got of the snide that she has been on from outside for quite awhile. In that vein, think this is the 3rd time this year that she seemed to brake shooting slump from outside after she hit a bank shot from mid-range. Like some QBs that need to hit their first pass to get their momentum going, hope she\Chris or Geno runs a play to get her that shot early in remaining games. Its fine to run the little deep post plays against AAC competition, but this is serious time and they need to get Stewie her shooting confidence and I think the medium bank shots feed that confidence.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Purduke - Stewart actually went 1-1 from three in the second round game having not taken a three in the first round so she is now 3-4 in the NCAAs. I actually wondered quietly to myself if that three against Rutgers might be the sign of things to come. She has struggled generally from three this year, but looked so confident and smooth on the shot last Monday. And today, after the slow start she was so smooth! She would have had another but her right foot straddled the line on a long jumper.

Between her and Mo - confidence is just brimming over!

Reaction Score
Purduke - Stewart actually went 1-1 from three in the second round game having not taken a three in the first round so she is now 3-4 in the NCAAs. I actually wondered quietly to myself if that three against Rutgers might be the sign of things to come. She has struggled generally from three this year, but looked so confident and smooth on the shot last Monday. And today, after the slow start she was so smooth! She would have had another but her right foot straddled the line on a long jumper.

Between her and Mo - confidence is just brimming over!

Yeah, but her 3% is down this year from 35% last year to 31.8 this year (not as bad as I would have guessed). If we could figure out how to remove the bunnies from her overall FG% I think that would be down even more significantly. I don't say this to criticize her -- as POY, to be willing to basically move your game into the post after Kiah went to the bench says tons about her and her team commitment. I can think of one recruit from South Carolina that made it pretty clear she wouldn't nothing with sacrificing her game like that.

But the last two years Stewie was deadly from range, and so important to UCONN success\victories. She just hasn't been shooting like that from distance for so long. Today, she was 1-6 on her jumpers (1-1 on layup) when she buried that pretty crossover jumper, and then immediately followed with her first three, and was off to the races. Reason for my post was to say hey, she seems to be more reliable with her jumpers when she is banking from mid-range, maybe lets design a few plays to specifically put her into that spot to see if that helps with her early stroke\confidence.

As for Jefferson, no lauditude about her game this year would be overstatement IMO.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
At the 6:47 mark of the 1st half, Stewie missed her 5th shot of the game. Seven shots, five misses.

And that's why UConn is so good. While Stewie was throwing up those early bricks, the rest of the team was picking up the slack, getting out to a decent lead. Once she kicked it into gear it became frightening.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Purduke - maybe it is just that we haven't gotten to the end of the NCAA tournament yet - Stewart seems to raise her distance shooting so maybe she goes 20 for 25 the rest of way and her yearly average will be back where it was last year at the end of the NCAAs!!!:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom