Stewie's final diary post from Rio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Breanna Stewart diary: Savoring Olympic gold

My favorite part:

"Part of what makes the Olympics so special is the ability our men’s and women’s teams have to spend time together and support each other’s efforts. We might not ever get that BG vs. Demarcus one-on-one game, but we deepened a lot of bonds and are looking forward to staying in touch. It’s funny because while we, the women, can be the target of some pretty brutal naysayers, you take a collection of some of the very best male basketball players in the entire world and it would be impossible to find a critic. The respect is there. We are peers and it’s been really fun to experience that in pursuit of gold."

I have always said: Show me a guy who hates on women's basketball and you've shown me a guy who was never any good at basketball.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
In an era where grammatical errors, factual errors, and just plain bad writing are the norm... it's so refreshing to read something that's so well written.

Stewey is special.
It does say she had help in the writing. But she is special!

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In an era where grammatical errors, factual errors, and just plain bad writing are the norm... it's so refreshing to read something that's so well written.

Stewey is special.

That very thought smacked me right between the eyes as I finished the paragraph.

Reaction Score

Stewey is special.
The USA Today dateline blurb says she is, "...writing with the assistance of contributor Wayne Coffey," whatever that means.

I love the concept of the Players Tribune - let the athletes put their own stories out there, without letting a journalist-middleman put their own spin on it, distort things for their own purposes or just to sensationalize. I think the sports media community feels resentful and/or threatened. In any case they're not getting any play or promo in the mainstream sports media.

But has anyone noticed all the PT pieces are written with perfect grammar...not even any street slang. Very unlike how some of these guys talk in interviews - they're getting a lot of editorial assistance.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There is very little that is published in any mainstream form that does not go through an editing process, including by acclaimed authors and prize winning journalists - the process involves fact checking, spellchecking, and grammatical adjustments. We all have come to depend on the spell checking and some grammatical suggestions when using computers (thank god!) and I have no problem with it being a part of the process for athletes and other celebrities when they take to literary forms of expression. It hopefully does not devolve into misrepresentations of their thoughts or feelings, but it may result in a clearer understanding of them. (Which is a good thing.)

We have enough live interviews of our heroes generally to be able to form opinions of their unvarnished communication skills. And our Uconn heroes on the women's side at least have always come off very well in that format.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom