Stewie said it. Alot of disconnect........ | The Boneyard

Stewie said it. Alot of disconnect........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Disappointing result but it was nice to see Chong do well. Stewie showed up but had little help. KML and Moriah didn't appear to be in attendance. I've always been a Stokes fan; such a nice kid, but just may/will never make the leap. When's the last time we saw UConn give up so many uncontested layups? Stanford played well. Good for them. Oh well.
This is where Geno starts to do his thing. The building process is always fun to watch. My wife always asks me: "How can you watch so many UConn blowouts?" That's easy. I like to watch excellent teams execute like well oiled machines. Again this season UConn has some really nice building blocks if not an abundance of height. Geno will just have to teach them not to run into one another.

Reaction Score
Stokes will be a high draft pick in April. She just needs more minutes.

Teams will key in on Stewart like they did EDD. She'll have to make adjustments. They did a great defensive job on KML and didn't give her many open looks.

Stanford was well coached and the players bought in. Home court helped.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
There was a disconnect between her hands and the basket from underneath.

HGN

Reaction Score
As Stewie may have said......"There was a lot of disconnect". But the disconnect was not on the Stanford side. Stanford was 'connecting' from all over the floor. The Huskies had a lot of 'disconnects' with missed bunnies , jumpers , and FT's. Especially with the FT's. They are called 'FREE' throws for a reason. Big game pressure I guess.

But I don't think Geno is going to let this slide......He will right the ship in mid-sail. and we will see the Husky jugganaut in April.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Random thoughts from an outside observer and a longtime poster...

1) During the summer, I commented that it would be much harder to replace Dolson and that I had questions about where Stokes was in terms of range on her shot. Dolson provided so much in terms of the range on her shot, especially her junior and senior years. She was money with that free throw line jumper. What this meant was that it opened up the offense entirely. Every player could score from the outside. And by Dolson stepping out and drawing the defender with her, the guards had more clear paths to the basket (and Hartley and Moriah were truly excellent off the dribble last year). Dolson was also an excellent passer for a post player, not just in terms of racking up assists but making the "hockey assist" passes (i.e., making the pass that led to the assist).

Stokes is a stronger physical presence inside and is a better rebounder (at least by my eyes, but I do not see every game), but does not have the other array of skills that Dolson possessed. She does not have the same range on her shot or the consistency on that range. So this means that there were be an adjustment on offense, going from having situations where you can run five-out to a four-out, one-in.

2) Moriah Jefferson is a ridiculously speedy point guard who made leaps and bounds in terms of her improvement in both playmaking and shooting last year. But she is making an adjustment. Remember, last year, she was arguably the fifth option on the team (behind Stewart, KML, Dolson, and Hartley). This year, she is the third option (behind Stewart and KML) and is also responsible for having to create more for others (Chong and Stokes). Hartley, by contrast, did not need Jefferson to create for her, as she created for herself. With Chong and Stokes, Moriah needs to be more of a facilitator.

3) Stanford's win good news for ESPN and the sport of women's basketball, as there is a glimmer of hope that a team can challenge UConn. UConn is always a big draw on ESPN, but when there is a game against another highly rated team and it is expected to be close (or is close), the ratings are huge.

4) Going into this season, I thought Stanford was overrated at #6, due to the graduation of Ogwumike and having to rely on a lot of unproven players who were very good prospects out of high school, but not elite (certainly not of the caliber of Nneka and Chiney). But the Cardinal proved me wrong. Tara VanDerveer changed her offense from the triangle (or variations on the triangle) that had been a trademark of hers the past six or so years, to a more guard-oriented game. In a recent interview, she said doing so was a six-month process, with consultation and work with ex-NBA coach Mike D'Antoni, Milwaukee Bucks assistant Joe Prunty, and Jenny Boucek of the Seattle Storm.
(Side thought...If only a certain coach in Durham, North Carolina put in that much work)

And FINALLY:

5) UConn lost on the road by two points, in overtime, to the #6 team, in the second game of the year. What does this mean? First, it means the discussion of "streaks" can go dissipate, and Geno Auriemma can focus on individual player development and team cohesion. Arguably, there will be less of a distraction, at least from the media as to the issue of streaks.

More importantly, this young team will learn what it takes to close out games. Remember, the freshmen and Chong have never experienced a loss. They just know UConn is the offensive juggernaut that destroys teams. For them to experience the loss personally goes such a long way in terms of development. They learn they need to take things; nothing will be given to them. They learn they need to earn the win, not expect the other team to roll over. They learn that the sum (the team) must be greater than the individual parts, which means better chemistry, better cohesion, individual sacrifice for team success, and more intensity and focus in practice and in games.

As a Duke fan, I shudder to think of the beatdown UConn could put on the team. As a fan of the sport of women's basketball, I am truly afraid of what a more focused, more driven, more intense Geno Auriemma and UConn players mean going forward.
Geno is no doubt angry. Probably "2001 Final Four against Notre Dame" angry. And we all saw what happened after that...

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
The team had best prepare itself to learn the fundamental lesson Bria spoke of last season: They don't practice until they get something right, they practice until they can't get it wrong. ;)

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Sometimes angst can lead to posters idealizing the winner and demonizing the losers in excess of a 2 point game.
OK, Stewie claims a disconnect, but is Sanford "connected" cause they score one bucket more? On their own court?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Had Orrange not made that trey to tie and send it to OT, we would havehad a lot less discussion except for a big "WHEW!," followed by the usual analysis, critique, and maybe even some words of praise (Saniya).

I invite everyone's attention to HuskyNan's frequent (almost annually for at least a dozen years now) reminder: Geno coaches from November to the end of February with March in his focus. And it has worked nine times, so why not this time around?

Reaction Score
Two seasons ago Uconn lost to Baylor, and 3 Times to Notre Dame, including the Big East championship game, yet dominated on their way to number 8 in the Tournament.

Reaction Score
Stewie showed up but had little help. KML and Moriah didn't appear to be in attendance. .
Maybe we did not watch the same game. Stewie had good numbers but she did not show up to the game. There were a number of passes that were picked off by Stanford because Stewie stood in one spot and waited for the ball to come to her rather than step towards the pass and make sure she had it. Also if you have the chance to watch the game again just watch her, look at her face... you can tell she was not into it last night. She was off. Maybe she was not feeling well.. who knows but there was something going on with her. How many free throws did she miss? Last year Stewie blocked shots left and right... last night she only had 1 blocked shot.

As for KML and Moriah.... KML was being heavily guarded and did not have her 30 points like she did the other night, but she played hard... and was perfect from the line.

Stanford had everything go right for them. They played a great game... and they hit their threes. There were a ton of foul calls... way too many in my opinion... especially the one that gave Stanford 2 points when they called a foul on Stokes and they did the replay and everyone was like.... "What foul?"

Chong had 20 points, Tuck 11. Tuck and Mosqueda-Lewis were prefect from the line. Nurse had 9 points. Stokes had 6 points and 4 blocks.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Had Orrange not made that trey to tie and send it to OT, we would havehad a lot less discussion except for a big "WHEW!," followed by the usual analysis, critique, and maybe even some words of praise (Saniya).

I prefer the loss now, rather than a close win due to luck. I'm sure Geno will have their attention for a while. Imagine how many times he'll be able to use this game tape.

Reaction Score
Maybe we did not watch the same game. Stewie had good numbers but she did not show up to the game. There were a number of passes that were picked off by Stanford because Stewie stood in one spot and waited for the ball to come to her rather than step towards the pass and make sure she had it. Also if you have the chance to watch the game again just watch her, look at her face... you can tell she was not into it last night. She was off. Maybe she was not feeling well.. who knows but there was something going on with her. How many free throws did she miss? Last year Stewie blocked shots left and right... last night she only had 1 blocked shot.

As for KML and Moriah.... KML was being heavily guarded and did not have her 30 points like she did the other night, but she played hard... and was perfect from the line.

Stanford had everything go right for them. They played a great game... and they hit their threes. There were a ton of foul calls... way too many in my opinion... especially the one that gave Stanford 2 points when they called a foul on Stokes and they did the replay and everyone was like.... "What foul?"

Chong had 20 points, Tuck 11. Tuck and Mosqueda-Lewis were prefect from the line. Nurse had 9 points. Stokes had 6 points and 4 blocks.

Stewart did have a funny look on her face especially in the second half. I think it was because they were playing really physically on her. Maybe they wore her down more than she was used to.

Reaction Score
CC1974 good thoughts..... i really enjoy all the posters here data dumping their random thoughts..... it is often what others are thinking.....

Now you have ME thinking...... here is a thoguht or two.......

1. Saniya played well I thought...... but that late drive for a 2 basket when we needed a 3...... all would have been OK if we hadnt used all our timeouts.... and of course with the youth of the team, we NEEDED to use all the timeouts..... so this will be solved through experience and as I have said many times these past few hours..... Geno and staff will correct this..... no problem.....

2. Kiah...... yes yes, we can talk about Dolson..... but Kiah will be OK...... a couple of things..... the shot from the foul line with a minute left in the game is something I didnt expect from her..... even though her minutes have been limited...... this year she is a senior.... and wow i thought she would make a better decision there..... but hey it is November..... and things will improve...... couple of other thoughts here...... she isn't as fast as Dolson on the transition...... when she gets the rebound..... she has to get the initial pass out in a hurry.... but again, it is early, and she will do well as the year progresses...... and overall..... as an offensive option...... wow, there is a difference in the offense when the defense has to guard 4 instead of 5...... and I am sure Kiah has her moves and situations to go to the basket..... but from the perimeter..... the defense doesnt need to guard her...... kind of like couple of years back with Jayne Appel.... we did not need to worry about her on a set shot or jump shot....... the greatness in Kiah will be in her defensive prowess..... and she will be an integral part in our run to March........

3. On the inside..... too many uncontested layups..... I foresee, at this early point....... an inside of Kiah, Breanna, Tuck, and I think an undersized 4th person to fill in, perhaps one of the freshman...... we need to solidify the middle, because people are going to try to drive on us and get us in foul trouble and/or get to the foul line.......I remember this was ND's plan when they had that streak against us.......

4. Jefferson did not look great at times...... but I am such an over the top MoJeff fan...... again it is early and I am so not worried about her..... MoJeff rocks

5. Let me say it before I forget...... as an over the top Husky fan, I still was very happy for Stanford...... I have long been a Tara fan..... I think she is a good coach..... and it takes guts to demolish and totally recreate your offense...... they deserve all the credit in the world...... and congratulations to them......

6. It is painfully obvious that WCBB still has issues iwth the competence of their refereeing skills..... and is sticking out like a sore thumb...... I am glad that the announcers did not harp on it last night...... and focused on the game..... but if the game of WCBB is to be elevated, a big improvement must be made......

7. Also before I forget...... Kiah deserves an "A" for perseverence...... this gal has stuck it out over her career...... I am not there everyday, but I am sure she has been tested over her years in Storrs, and had her doubts...... but she has continued to walk the walk and done what has been requested of her...... this is her time, and I am sure she will reap the rewards this year that her toughness and perseverence have merited.......

8. In the past I have been nervous ...... stomach in knots.... but last night I found myself watching without too much emotion...... and it was because we have a young team and it is November...... I have no long term worries...... the mention was made that Geno must be angry...... I agree in the sense that he must not like when his players cannot replicate in the game what they practice... but overall, I cannot believe he is angry...... so many teaching moments...... and he CD and the staff will make the necesary corrections
.... the only thing about last night that was too bad was the end of the streak...... and in the larger picture..... that matters nothing at all.......

9. What I really want to see is ...... who is going to assume the floor general position..... who is going to be the leader...... I would like it to be MoJeff..... have a feeling it may be Nurse, as the season goes on further....... we need someone to corral the responsibility and be the boss......

10. Again, with all of this...... it is so early..... let's see with the ND game in a couple of weeks the adjustments made and the progression of our season....Go Huskies!!!!
l

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I prefer the loss now, rather than a close win due to luck. I'm sure Geno will have their attention for a while. Imagine how many times he'll be able to use this game tape.
Bull. If they had escaped with a win he STILL would have shown them the game tape over and over and the team would have known they were s$$t lucky. I don't buy this 'maybe the loss was a good thing' stuff. You play to win the game and we didn't.

Reaction Score

I thought Stewie did a good job posting up but the team did a poor job of recognition when she posted and did not get her the ball quickly enough thus the three 3 sec calls. They all need to work on this and I'm sure they will do so. Stewie also has to step out of the lane when she gets close to a 3 sec violation. Again I don't recall Stewie posting up a lot last year. I remember seeing Stef posted up last year and wondering why they did not get her the ball quicker. Stanford players made some good reads defending the post up as well.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Stokes is a stronger physical presence inside and is a better rebounder (at least by my eyes, but I do not see every game), but does not have the other array of skills that Dolson possessed. She does not have the same range on her shot or the consistency on that range. So this means that there were be an adjustment on offense, going from having situations where you can run five-out to a four-out, one-in.

In the first half, they ran 4-out-1-in quite often. Unfortunately, the 1-in was Brianna. She crossed back and forth over the middle of the key while the ball was passed around the perimeter.

Drove me crazy. Was that really Geno's plan? Why not attack the paint? Why is Kiah on the perimeter? Arrrrrrrgh!

And the only reason this was a 2-point game was that Stanford had a horrible free-throw experience during the first half.

Last edited:

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score

Agree re Stewie. I really thought she and KML must have picked up a flu bug they weren't telling the coaches about. They both looked lethargic much of the time. And Stewie came to the basket with the ball at her waist a number of times, giving Stanford an opportunity to knock it out of her hands -- which they did.

I was impressed with the Stanford defense in the paint.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Who was the last UC guard that was great at penetrating? Rene? Bria was good at times....

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
think of the progress they'll make for close games, clock management, time out management, etc.

Reaction Score
On the subject of Stewie-I don't think this has been mentioned yet... When Stewie stood and waited for the ball she got 3, and even 4 defenders on her, but when she got the ball while moving she usually had only one defender on her.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Bull. If they had escaped with a win he STILL would have shown them the game tape over and over and the team would have known they were s t lucky. I don't buy this 'maybe the loss was a good thing' stuff. You play to win the game and we didn't.
Not sure we didn't try to play to win, pap, as much as I don't think this group as a unit knows at this point how to play for the win in that type of game situation. It took last year's team the better part of two season to learn how to be game tough against ND. There were many errors which need to be addressed many of which are mental.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Not sure we didn't try to play to win, pap, as much as I don't think this group as a unit knows at this point how to play for the win in that type of game situation. It took last year's team the better part of two season to learn how to be game tough against ND. There were many errors which need to be addressed many of which are mental.
I never said we didn't try to win.

Reaction Score
The Stanford girls and Tara V. deserve a lot of credit for the great game they played against UConn last night. The staff deserves a lot of credit for the plan they put together and for the confidence they instilled in the girls in carrying out that plan last night. It's a VERY rare occasion when Geno doesn't have the better coached team for a game, but it looked that way to me last night. The UConn players as a group looked like a heard of deer in the headlights last night, with the exception of a few (Chong , Tuck & Nurse). It reminded me of the way Tenn looked in the championship game when we ran all of those backdoor cuts about a decade ago. Our players not knowing who was supposed to inbound the ball at the end was mystifying. Then KML seemingly not recalling that there were only 2.6 secs left is mind boggling. MJ not defending the tying three in regulation. Was she told to stay on Samuelson or did she decide it on her own? And no weak side help on the many drives of Stanford. All of these things are just so atypical of UConn basketball.

The good news is...there is lot to learn from this game...and a lot of season left to learn it in... before it really matters. Perhaps the best part is that they won't be taking wins for granted any more this season. They'll know that they have to earn them...and now we have some unusual work to do....climb over THREE teams to get back to number one! Certainly Geno is going to have their attention in practice. You can bet that Muffet took lots of notes last night...and so did the rest of WCBB. And just like that...in a different kind of way than we're used to....this season has just become a lot more fun to watch!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I never said we didn't try to win.
Sorry, then I miss understood your last line above. "You play to win and we didn't." Sounded like you were saying they didn't play to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom