Stewie returning to Seattle | The Boneyard

Stewie returning to Seattle

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Interesting! I wonder if Stewie has in mind to play with Sue...on a year-by-year basis...until Sue retires.
Sue comes back year-by-year...Stewie stays year-by-year. The 2024 Olympics: might Sue have in mind....if healthy...
a Paris au revoir? 5 gold...going on 6???

At that point...Stewie...pretty much still in her prime...comes 'home' to the Liberty...just a [long] stone's throw from Syracuse.

Reaction Score
My prediction-

*Sue retires
*Stewie to NY
*Trade Jewel for high draft pick in the 2023 draft(hoping they get Boston)
*Tank 2023 & 2024 in an attempt to win the Paige sweepstakes.

Reaction Score
I'm happy that Stewie will spend another year with Sue and I'm sure Sue thinks the same.

I couldn't help but notice that Stewie will earn a super-max salary of $228K. The pay disparity between earning power of men and women athletes is well discussed, here and elsewhere, and I don't want to get into the sociology and economics of why this is so, but that $228 number just jumps out at you. Stewie gets $228K for a season in the WNBA as the best women's basketball player on the planet. $228K is a nice salary, certainly more than most working stiffs make, and she should net about $170K after taxes. What that salary won't do is make her wealthy and have enough set aside after her career is done to live well. Granted she makes most of her money overseas. Most WNBA players make far less in the WNBA than Stewie and may or may not get the big bucks that the best WNBA players get overseas. For the most part women basketball players aren't going to be able to earn enough during their career to have substantial wealth when they retire.

For comparison, minimum salaries (from 2019) for men's basketball, baseball, football and hockey:

Baseball - $507K
Basketball - $582K
Football - $465K
Hockey - $650K

In the NBA the 124th highest salary (for 2021) was $10M for one Thomas Satoranski of the Pelicans. Luka Doncic also makes $10M a year, but not for long.

Reaction Score
I'm happy that Stewie will spend another year with Sue and I'm sure Sue thinks the same.

I couldn't help but notice that Stewie will earn a super-max salary of $228K. The pay disparity between earning power of men and women athletes is well discussed, here and elsewhere, and I don't want to get into the sociology and economics of why this is so, but that $228 number just jumps out at you. Stewie gets $228K for a season in the WNBA as the best women's basketball player on the planet. $228K is a nice salary, certainly more than most working stiffs make, and she should net about $170K after taxes. What that salary won't do is make her wealthy and have enough set aside after her career is done to live well. Granted she makes most of her money overseas. Most WNBA players make far less in the WNBA than Stewie and may or may not get the big bucks that the best WNBA players get overseas. For the most part women basketball players aren't going to be able to earn enough during their career to have substantial wealth when they retire.

For comparison, minimum salaries (from 2019) for men's basketball, baseball, football and hockey:

Baseball - $507K
Basketball - $582K
Football - $465K
Hockey - $650K

In the NBA the 124th highest salary (for 2021) was $10M for one Thomas Satoranski of the Pelicans. Luka Doncic also makes $10M a year, but not for long.
Key factors: Attendance and number of games played as compared to the men are at least in the top 3. I personally wish it weren't so, but it is.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score

Stewie press conference in Seattle today.

The bad part is that you cant hear the questions, until about the 17 minute mark of the video. You can hear Stewies answers.

Interesting statement from Stewie
Stewart on the Prioritization Clause: "It's the biggest talking point for me in the WNBA. To be able to play overseas, where basketball is valued and we can make a lot of money, you're cutting off one of my sources of income."

Prioritization Clause
Players who also play overseas (so they can make the most of their highly skilled work in a short career) will be required to be available from the start of training camp, or not play. It goes into effect in either the 23, or 24 season.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Baseball - $507K
Basketball - $582K
Football - $465K
Hockey - $650K

Comparing women's sports to men's sports is apples and oranges due to viewership, season length, revenue generated and several other factors. I wish the WNBA garnered more attention and revenue, but it doesn't make sense IMO to compare WNBA salaries to those of NBA/NHL/MLB/NFL considering how different the league and expectations are.

All that said, Stewart should be quite wealthy and set for life by the time she hangs up her sneakers.

Keep in mind, the WNBA is not a full time gig and most players don't treat it as such. It's about a 4.5 month commitment from training camp (which overseas players often miss) to end of the finals (if you advance far enough). Almost any profession in the world would consider $170k after taxes for 4 months of work as a fantastic salary. Add in endorsements and overseas money, and someone like Stewart could easily be hauling in a couple million per year as this article estimates. If she's good with her money and plays 5-6 more years, she could have $10+ million in the bank in her early 30s which anyone should be able to live comfortably on forever.

Reaction Score
Comparing women's sports to men's sports is apples and oranges due to viewership, season length, revenue generated and several other factors. I wish the WNBA garnered more attention and revenue, but it doesn't make sense IMO to compare WNBA salaries to those of NBA/NHL/MLB/NFL considering how different the league and expectations are.

All that said, Stewart should be quite wealthy and set for life by the time she hangs up her sneakers.

Keep in mind, the WNBA is not a full time gig and most players don't treat it as such. It's about a 4.5 month commitment from training camp (which overseas players often miss) to end of the finals (if you advance far enough). Almost any profession in the world would consider $170k after taxes for 4 months of work as a fantastic salary. Add in endorsements and overseas money, and someone like Stewart could easily be hauling in a couple million per year as this article estimates. If she's good with her money and plays 5-6 more years, she could have $10+ million in the bank in her early 30s which anyone should be able to live comfortably on forever.
Stewie will be fine financially. My point was that relatively few women bball players earn big money in the WNBA or overseas while most NBA players earn anywhere from big bucks to fabulous wealth. The reasons for the disparity have been often debated but the fact remains that few pro women bball players buy $10M houses and new Farraris.

Reaction Score
When Griner , Jones, Stewie, all sit out 2024, along with a few others they might reconsider. Sloot and Quigley are also on that team and Messeman.

Reaction Score
Stewie will be fine financially. My point was that relatively few women bball players earn big money in the WNBA or overseas while most NBA players earn anywhere from big bucks to fabulous wealth. The reasons for the disparity have been often debated but the fact remains that few pro women bball players buy $10M houses and new Farraris.
Read an article where younger players like Collier are also unhappy about the priortization clause.
Stewie said don't be surprised if their is a substantial number of players who might skip the season in 2024 when this kicks in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom