Stewie moves into WNBA MVP lead. | The Boneyard

Stewie moves into WNBA MVP lead.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Based on power ratings, stats, team performance and the eye test, Stewie seems to have taken the lead and the game against the Sparks may have solidified it. :D:D

Race to MVP (Week 6): Wilson Joins List, Stewart Climbs to Top - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

1. Breanna Stewart, Seattle Storm
Last Week: 2
Stats: 22.3 points, 54% FG, 7.7 rebounds, 1.5 blocks, 1.5 steals

After another dominant week – despite the loss to Minnesota on Tuesday – Stewart rises to the top among the MVP favorites. In Seattle’s lopsided win at Dallas, Stewart dropped 28 points on 10-of-15 shooting with 12 boards and two blocks. Through Tuesday’s games, she has the highest Player Efficiency Rating and the most Win Shares in the WNBA. Stewart faces Candace Parker and the Sparks on Thursday (9:30 PM ET, ESPN2) in a game that could help her continue to solidify her MVP case.

I guess I am way too hard on her. I had put her at #7. :oops::confused:

Interesting. Wilson breaks into the top 10 at #9

Also very interesting. 9 of the top 10 are posts. Only Guard is Diana Taurasi at #5

Maya should break in soon.

Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
upload_2018-6-29_12-4-9.png

Delle Donne is at 30.0 but probably has not played enough games to qualify. Not sure what Basketball Reference's qualifying cutoff is. But I don't sense EDD as serious contender as she has won before and the Mystics are not an elite team.

Seattle is one of the breakout teams of the year and Stewie clearly the star. So she has narrative working for her, too (in addition to absolutely deserving it on merit, of course).

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Where are all the guys that were "disappointed" in Stewie's showing in the WNBA now? Some who expressed those views on this very board? Where are all the naysayers as to her ability to perform as an all star at the next level? Some, again, who expressed those views on this very board? When Stewie first faced Candace as a pro she got schooled. Just like A'ja. Let's just see how A'ja does against Candace in years to come, shall we?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Where are all the guys that were "disappointed" in Stewie's showing in the WNBA now? Some who expressed those views on this very board? Where are all the naysayers as to her ability to perform as an all star at the next level? Some, again, who expressed those views on this very board? When Stewie first faced Candace as a pro she got schooled. Just like A'ja. Let's just see how A'ja does against Candace in years to come, shall we?

Jordy, do you remember when UConn played South Carolina, and Stewie "schooled" A'ja (and took her lunch money :confused: ) during her freshman year? I do, like it was yesterday. Well, those days are over. Miss Wilson has arrived!!! You can believe that her head coach, (former NBA center, and Detroit Pistons "Bad Boy") Bill Laimbeer is in her ear. As a rookie, she's bursting onto the scene, handling her business, demanding and getting her respect. She has become the face of that franchise. Make no mistake about it, they love her in Las Vegas!!! And if by chance they ever win a championship, there will be a lot of places in town where her money won't be any good. :D

Like Stewie, A'ja is proving to be one of the better players in the W, and will continue to improve in the years to come. They're BOTH going to make lots of $$$$ playing professionally before they retire. I doubt if either one of them will ever work a "square eight" in their life time. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Based on power ratings, stats, team performance and the eye test, Stewie seems to have taken the lead and the game against the Sparks may have solidified it. :D:D

Race to MVP (Week 6): Wilson Joins List, Stewart Climbs to Top - WNBA.com - Official Site of the WNBA

1. Breanna Stewart, Seattle Storm
Last Week: 2
Stats: 22.3 points, 54% FG, 7.7 rebounds, 1.5 blocks, 1.5 steals

After another dominant week – despite the loss to Minnesota on Tuesday – Stewart rises to the top among the MVP favorites. In Seattle’s lopsided win at Dallas, Stewart dropped 28 points on 10-of-15 shooting with 12 boards and two blocks. Through Tuesday’s games, she has the highest Player Efficiency Rating and the most Win Shares in the WNBA. Stewart faces Candace Parker and the Sparks on Thursday (9:30 PM ET, ESPN2) in a game that could help her continue to solidify her MVP case.

I guess I am way too hard on her. I had put her at #7. :oops::confused:

Interesting. Wilson breaks into the top 10 at #9

Also very interesting. 9 of the top 10 are posts. Only Guard is Diana Taurasi at #5

Maya should break in soon.
Maya is now #7. She has the Lynx on a 5-game streak.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A few years ago - Stewie was a senior - I was sitting in the Denver airport waiting for a weather delayed flight (? Dec/Jan) when someone sat down next to me - probably the only seat left in that shared gate area (I do that - give of don't sit next to me thing I guess). I do that rising head turn thing to catch a peek without looking and its an acclaimed broadcaster/analyst and she shoots me a Hey, how you doing. Somehow :rolleyes: we ended up talking basketball. We got around to Stewie and she said in a lot more words than this, she's still growing, but she's already a predestined Hall of Famer and in the process she'll lift the league. She explained that Stewie's sorta unique skill set and physique would pose questions to every team she faced and that would elevate the game. It was a special moment for me with one of my favorite people in the women's game.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
A few years ago - Stewie was a senior - I was sitting in the Denver airport waiting for a weather delayed flight (? Dec/Jan) when someone sat down next to me - probably the only seat left in that shared gate area (I do that - give of don't sit next to me thing I guess). I do that rising head turn thing to catch a peek without looking and its an acclaimed broadcaster/analyst and she shoots me a Hey, how you doing. Somehow :rolleyes: we ended up talking basketball. We got around to Stewie and she said in a lot more words than this, she's still growing, but she's already a predestined Hall of Famer and in the process she'll lift the league. She explained that Stewie's sorta unique skill set and physique would pose questions to every team she faced and that would elevate the game. It was a special moment for me with one of my favorite people in the women's game.
Thanks for the Kara story.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

I don't know who those fools are. Some very smart people have been touting Stewie for a while.
upload_2018-6-29_14-37-32.png

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I am happy for Stewie, but I am rooting for Diana or Maya. In the end, it's a UConn Alumni :).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom