Stewart, Jefferson—and YES Tuck—on the WNBA Lottery and Draft | The Boneyard

Stewart, Jefferson—and YES Tuck—on the WNBA Lottery and Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn Women's Insider: Thursday's WNBA Draft Lottery Is Breanna Stewart Sweepstakes
by John Altavilla

Come Thursday night at 8, Breanna Stewart and Moriah Jefferson will be watching TV, probably with most of their UConn teammates.

"I will definitely be watching it," Stewart said Tuesday. "It's interesting to see how everything turns out. But you never know what might happen. It's something to look forward to, but after the lottery is all said and done, I still have one more season [at UConn]."

And the team that wins the second choice might end up with Jefferson, the All-America point guard who some consider the second-best player in the draft.

"Of course I think about [the WNBA]," Jefferson said. "You try not to think about it too much. But it is where my next step is. Of course, I will watch and see what happens and then worry about it when the time is right."

If circumstances change, the team with the third pick likely will give Morgan Tuck an extended look, but it appears Tuck, draft eligible when her class graduates in May, will return to Storrs for her final year of eligibility.

"I've been thinking about both sides because the money would be great to have," Tuck said. "You know, when you're in college, you don't have as much [money] as you would like to. [If you go pro], you can make all this money going overseas. That's very appealing, which is why I've been trying to weigh both sides. But right now I am planning to stay in school."

[LINK] to full article (you may have to gain entry via a back door) (full title is above by-line)

Reaction Score
Morgan finds the (overseas) money "very appealing", but right now planning to stay in school. Hmmmm...

Reaction Score
Morgan finds the (overseas) money "very appealing", but right now planning to stay in school. Hmmmm...
Of course. Money and career can be a factor, especially for someone with a history of knee issues. Strike while the iron's hot is the phrase that comes to my mind. If she really wants that masters she can always go back. As I said in the other thread, Jewell claimed she was coming back just days before the national championship game, literally 48 hours before, and we saw what happened there. Having a 5th year is a great (free) option, if you're still in rehab/recovery mode which Morgan clearly is not.

Reaction Score
If Morgan leaves we're doomed.
Not doomed, but will make the 2016-17 season a bit more difficult. Having her super senior skills not to mention the big one - leadership - would be a big hole to fill. If she stays we know we'll have 3/5 of the starters back in Butler, Kia, and Tuck to go along with a brand new starting PG (Chong/CD?) and F (KLS?).

Reaction Score
Morgan's major is business. A master degree will help her in the future when she retires from WNBA. If she stays and help UConn to make another NC. She will break the record with 5 NCs which no one can challenge.

Reaction Score
Morgan's major is business. A master degree will help her in the future when she retires from WNBA. If she stays and help UConn to make another NC. She will break the record with 5 NCs which no one can challenge.
My perspective is let's try to get thru the 2015/16 season, with some good fortune to not suffer any season ending injuries and to win at least the final six games of the year. Would I like Tuck to stay for 16//17 sure. And WNBA money I doubt will be a huge factor in the decision although I don't know her family's financial status. The overseas money could be huge, definite 6 figures and with or w/o a Masters in business she is not going to command that kind of salary in her first few years out of school. Is the allure of a 5th title going to be enough to stay another year only time will tell us so. Bless Morgan whatever she chooses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom