Steven Krajewski appreciation thread | The Boneyard

Steven Krajewski appreciation thread

Reaction Score
he’s also been playing injured all season. His knee is banged up a few weeks ago he hurt his shoulder I believe against Yale. Also suffered a concussion vs MTSU. Did not practice for the two week but. I don’t like how coaching staff keeps injuries a secret with any player on the team

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
This kid is a special kind of tough. No quit in him. Has taken a beating and doesn't flinch. If nothing else you have to love his toughness.
I'd take Shirreffs over Steven Krajewski in both toughness and ability.

Steven Krajewski's main positive attribute is that even though he's not a D1 level QB, he's still better than Jack Zergiotis.

Reaction Score
I'd take Shirreffs over Steven Krajewski in both toughness and ability.

Steven Krajewski's main positive attribute is that even though he's not a D1 level QB, he's still better than Jack Zergiotis.
Get this man a job you must be a better scout than all the teams that recruited him and offered him. Perhaps the coaching in place here doesn’t know how to develop players. It’s obvious just not with the quarterback play but also look at the teams tackling ability. Not every player on defense is so bad they don’t know how to tackle. Get off the lazy boy and come coach these kids up

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Get this man a job you must be a better scout than all the teams that recruited him and offered him. Perhaps the coaching in place here doesn’t know how to develop players. It’s obvious just not with the quarterback play but also look at the teams tackling ability. Not every player on defense is so bad they don’t know how to tackle. Get off the lazy boy and come coach these kids up
You wouldn't want me. I'm older than Mora, from a generation that wasn't afraid to spare your precious feelings. And old enough to have watched enough football to know Steven Krajewski is simply not good, I don't care who else recruited him.

Reaction Score
You wouldn't want me. I'm older than Mora, from a generation that wasn't afraid to spare your precious feelings. And old enough to have watched enough football to know Steven Krajewski is simply not good, I don't care who else recruited him.
It has nothing to do with feelings. Steven Krajewski IS a good quarterback with a lot of talent Whether you want to believe that or not is ok with me. But to say he is not a D1 qb is ridiculous. The last time I checked football is a team sport. Steven Krajewski has not given up on this team and tried his best. He has a tremendous about of courage and heart. To take that kind of beating week in and week out is unreal, a lesser man would’ve folded a lot sooner. I wish Steven Krajewski nothing but the best moving forward.

Reaction Score
We’ve had a lot of guys who might not have looked as good as they are because of all the problems with the program. So it’s hard to tell. Rose is an example for me. I think he is NFL caliber but goes weeks without seeing the ball. Can Steven Krajewski thrive in with better protection and coaching? I think he’d be much better.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It has nothing to do with feelings. Steven Krajewski IS a good quarterback with a lot of talent Whether you want to believe that or not is ok with me. But to say he is not a D1 qb is ridiculous. The last time I checked football is a team sport. Steven Krajewski has not given up on this team and tried his best. He has a tremendous about of courage and heart. To take that kind of beating week in and week out is unreal, a lesser man would’ve folded a lot sooner. I wish Steven Krajewski nothing but the best moving forward.
He was recruited to run RE's system. Spanos/Giuffre are still running that. Was it a mistake to recruit someone like S-K? Possibly. Could he have become Kenny Pickett after 4 years of starting? I would highly doubt he'd come even remotely close.

We've all seen a lot of mediocre to bad QB play the past dozen seasons. Along the way there have been a few guys who got slaughtered but still managed to hit open receivers on the occasions they weren't being buried. Or who had better pocket presence and escape skills. And most importantly, actually had enough competence to give some hope.

There has never been a game where I felt S-K gave us hope.

Reaction Score
He was recruited to run RE's system. Spanos/Giuffre are still running that. Was it a mistake to recruit someone like S-K? Possibly. Could he have become Kenny Pickett after 4 years of starting? I would highly doubt he'd come even remotely close.

We've all seen a lot of mediocre to bad QB play the past dozen seasons. Along the way there have been a few guys who got slaughtered but still managed to hit open receivers on the occasions they weren't being buried. Or who had better pocket presence and escape skills. And most importantly, actually had enough competence to give some hope.

I guess the 32 yard run against Yale, and the 22 yard run (on 4th down) don’t qualify for the ability to escape from the pocket. I know there have been more too. Is he Michael Vick, no way, but he definitely does not have cement feet. Did he miss wide open receivers, absolutely (too many for even me). But it seems that all his throws are high. If he had a decent QB coach that is a problem that could easily be fixed. I feel if all our QB’s had competent coaching you would see a much better product on the field. Hopefully, things will change with Coach Mora and Steven Krajewski, Tyler Phommachanh and Jack Zergiotis will get the training they most definitely need

Reaction Score

He was actually recruited by Lashlee to run his system.

Reaction Score
I did not see the game , but did see the stat sheet. 18-42 and three interceptions does not strike me as any form of success. Have been at two actual games this year and realize we have 0 offensive line so there is that working against him. It not all on him, but I also saw he single handedly gave the game away to UMASS by throwing interceptions inside our 30 and should have thrown the ball away. I also think our coaching sucks and invites easy failure with predictable plays and way over reliance on the defense. Will see what Mora can do, he has a major task on his hands.

Reaction Score
I appreciate his toughness. I don’t appreciate his God awful slow set up and release, his inaccuracy or his terribly poor decision making. He might be great throwing at targets in practice but he has very little game skills.

Reaction Score
I did not see the game , but did see the stat sheet. 18-42 and three interceptions does not strike me as any form of success. Have been at two actual games this year and realize we have 0 offensive line so there is that working against him. It not all on him, but I also saw he single handedly gave the game away to UMASS by throwing interceptions inside our 30 and should have thrown the ball away. I also think our coaching sucks and invites easy failure with predictable plays and way over reliance on the defense. Will see what Mora can do, he has a major task on his hands.
He was taking an absolute beating yesterday. On one hit where a defender landed on his head as he was going down it looked like a neck injury was possible. Doesn't matter who was better or even tougher. He's out there for this team in an impossible situation with a coaching change coming and uncertain future. Has shown zero quit.

Reaction Score
Agreed he is giving his all in an impossible situation. Not his fault he gets almost zero support. He does hold the ball to long and force to many throws. Learn to throw it away when there is nothing to throw to. Interceptions are just trying to make something happen out of nothing in most cases. I think he can learn with good coaching and has a very good chance to start next year based on what we have available. A have decent line and he would look much better.

Reaction Score
In today’s game the ability to get rid of the ball quickly is the most important attribute a QB can have when the O line is marginal. All of our QB’s are lacking in that skill. That deficiency is exacerbated by the poor play calling we see week in and week out. The dearth of quick hitting slants, short seam routes and quick shots to our TE’s and RB’s is hair pulling crazy. But let’s not sugar coat the other factor here. The lack of accuracy by our QB’s is mind boggling, especially on those quick hitting timing routes. Don’t get me wrong, our QB’s are great kids, hard working, tough competitors but until you can complete passes on third down, it’s simply faint praise.

Reaction Score
In today’s game the ability to get rid of the ball quickly is the most important attribute a QB can have when the O line is marginal. All of our QB’s are lacking in that skill. That deficiency is exacerbated by the poor play calling we see week in and week out. The dearth of quick hitting slants, short seam routes and quick shots to our TE’s and RB’s is hair pulling crazy. But let’s not sugar coat the other factor here. The lack of accuracy by our QB’s is mind boggling, especially on those quick hitting timing routes. Don’t get me wrong, our QB’s are great kids, hard working, tough competitors but until you can complete passes on third down, it’s simply faint praise.
Yep. I was praising his ability to keep getting up. He has shown great character in that regard.

Reaction Score
An OC can make a QB look good or bad. Look at this year's QB draft class in the NFL.

Mac Jones goes to a team with a great NFL head coach and a very experienced NFL OC. They have brought him along slowly and he is having success. In contrast, the New York Jets have a first year head coach with no head coaching experience and a first time NFL offensive coordinator and their QB, Zach Wilson, looks terrible.

If you put Mac Jones on the Jets and Zach Wilson on the Pats, I think we would have different views of how well they have played this season.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I said this in the game chat and I'll say it again here. He has definitely made some head scratching throws but what QB doesn't? I'm not going to defend that part. He should have thrown away some and he missed a few easy slants that could have went for big plays yesterday.

However, the kid is under constant pressure. The one thing I don't understand is the horrific play calling for him. We keep hearing he's a mobile QB but I haven't really seen it. Yet they keep calling roll out after roll out and he gets pounded on each one. They need to either have him stay in the pocket and hit a quick slant (which we do often and he's not always accurate) or have him slide a little.

Rolling out takes way too long with him and fails constantly. I can't blame him for that. It's like trying to call option plays with either of the Mannings as your QBs. You wouldn't do it because it's not their strength, or possible for them. It's been shown that rolling him out is not successful for him yet they keep calling that play.

I give the kid credit for still going out there and giving his all while knowing this staff has their head buried in the sand and calling plays to get him crushed.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
He was actually recruited by Lashlee to run his system.
Good point. Too bad Lashee wasn't really allowed to run Lashlee's system for an entire season ;)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
He was taking an absolute beating yesterday. On one hit where a defender landed on his head as he was going down it looked like a neck injury was possible. Doesn't matter who was better or even tougher. He's out there for this team in an impossible situation with a coaching change coming and uncertain future. Has shown zero quit.
And that's why I said I'd take Shirreffs over him. I'm sure y'all remember the beatings Bryant took regularly. But he was a better passer under duress.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I guess the 32 yard run against Yale, and the 22 yard run (on 4th down) don’t qualify for the ability to escape from the pocket. I know there have been more too. Is he Michael Vick, no way, but he definitely does not have cement feet.
I've mentioned Kenny Pickett above specifically because he's a somewhat similar QB package who did not have a great line in front of him at the start of his career, but now is arguably the best QB in the next draft as a 5th year senior. Nobody would've thought that 4, 3 or even 2 years ago. Pickett can run, but he is in no way a run-first QB. He is almost always looking downfield for a receiver.

You can argue that this year Pickett has a veteran line and Addison at WR, and I'd argue back that S-K would do far worse given those same advantages. I simply don't see that kind of future for S-K regardless of whatever program he's in and who's coaching him. Yes, coaches matter, but you also need to learn from experience and gain feel on your own.

I watch a lot of Pitt because my wife is Pitt alumnus and a season tix holder. When I'm talking about escaping from the pocket, I'm not talking simply about long runs once the defense has broken down. I'm talking about not consistently taking losses, sensing the pocket collapsing, buying time to find receivers, throwing on the run, and most importantly, actually completing those passes. I have no sense that S-K has improved in any of those areas, and possibly is even worse than last year.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Isn't there a quarterback who is starting for the Lions today that never looked very good while he was here. Offensive lines and OC's do make a difference.
No question about it. We’ve killed a lot of QB talent through incompetence.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Get this man a job you must be a better scout than all the teams that recruited him and offered him.
3E3B1220-43DA-4862-8B6F-EC3F1F44D4E4.jpeg

Given this list, he just might be.

That said appreciate every kid who laces them up and puts his body on the line for us every week. I also appreciate that Steve didn’t piss and moan when Tyler was out there. He just kept his head in the game, kept working, and was ready when called upon.

Reaction Score
He did fine when they were still incorporating Mazzone's concepts thru the Vandy game. They decided to stop for their reasons. A bad staff made worse by being lame duck. Their bad OLine play was also made worse losing the tackles and center. He's been beat up since the Putdue game so yeah I can appreciate the grit.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom