Steve Jobs | The Boneyard

Steve Jobs

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Saw the flick yesterday. The the sum of the parts unfortunately, IMHO, can't save the overall miss of this one. The acting is good, but there is something missing. Not exactly boring, but it could have been much more. It covers about 25 years and feels like there's no real flow and gets repetitive on Jobs's personality and personal relationships both at Apple and in his personal life. And on that latter score, I did a quick bio search just to see how faithful that angle is to the real story. The answer is that it sort of is in the broad outlines, but there are some meaningful real life changes and people that the movie blows by for some unnecessary Hollywood reason.

Unrelated, I think I mentioned this before, but if you live in the New Haven area and haven't been to the remodeled old Showcase Cinemas on Universal Dr. in North Haven, it's great. The seats are like the best airline first class seats - plush with individual push button recline and foot extenders. A great place to snooze during a boring movie.

Reaction Score
that theater rocks!!! Just got my Star Wars...best part...seats are reserved.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I have watched parts of this movie in the past, but watched this movie start to finish this morning for the first time. I thought it was really good. It has a strange plot construction, with the entire movie taking place immediately prior to various product launches over Steve Jobs' career, and if you think too hard about that aspect of the movie, it will seem very contrived. If you just sit back and follow the story, it is a really good movie.

The writing is really strong. It is Sorkin, without being too Sorkin-y. He pulled Jobs' issues out one thread at a time, unveiling one of the most important Americans of the last 50 years in a way that was interesting and original. The character portrayals were all perfect. I thought Jeff Daniels was really good as John Scully, and I run hot and cold on Jeff Daniels. The final confrontation with Wozniak and Jobs was so well done I didn't want the scene to end. Biopics can run the gamut from being really good to completely sucking. This was pretty good. A-.

Reaction Score
I have watched parts of this movie in the past, but watched this movie start to finish this morning for the first time. I thought it was really good. It has a strange plot construction, with the entire movie taking place immediately prior to various product launches over Steve Jobs' career, and if you think too hard about that aspect of the movie, it will seem very contrived. If you just sit back and follow the story, it is a really good movie.

The writing is really strong. It is Sorkin, without being too Sorkin-y. He pulled Jobs' issues out one thread at a time, unveiling one of the most important Americans of the last 50 years in a way that was interesting and original. The character portrayals were all perfect. I thought Jeff Daniels was really good as John Scully, and I run hot and cold on Jeff Daniels. The final confrontation with Wozniak and Jobs was so well done I didn't want the scene to end. Biopics can run the gamut from being really good to completely sucking. This was pretty good. A-.

Of course you do. You lap up all of Sorkin's garbage.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Jobs movie was awful.

It's a disjointed collection of Jobs' quotes presented in a 50,000' flyover of a portion of his life.

Jeff Daniels played Jeff Daniels playing Jeff Daniels. He's almost getting good at it. Almost.

Reaction Score
The Jobs movie was awful.

It's a disjointed collection of Jobs' quotes presented in a 50,000' flyover of a portion of his life.

Jeff Daniels played Jeff Daniels playing Jeff Daniels. He's almost getting good at it. Almost.

What kills me about Sorkin stuff is that every line seems to be a metaphor. People are always shouting at each other. It's not how people talk to eachother naturally.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
What kills me about Sorkin stuff is that every line seems to be a metaphor. People are always shouting at each other. It's not how people talk to eachother naturally.

Watched the third act again. You are just wrong. This movie is really well done. It really feels more Boyle than Sorkin, and has a similar plot construction to slumdog millionaire.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Reading the Isaacson book. The movie was very kind to Jobs and Scully. Both of them basically rode Wozniak's brilliant invention which covered about 15 years of their individual failures. Jobs was a lunatic and a total failure other than hopping on Wozniak's Apple II and Lasseter at Pixar. He almost drove Apple off a cliff, NeXT was barely a company, and he would have driven Pixar off a cliff too if not for John Lasseter. The iMac was Steve Jobs' first successful product, over 20 years into his career. He went on a tear after that, but it took him a while to get there.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It was garbage.

Complete garbage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members