Stephon Castle has NBA future. Why he's focusing on present. | The Boneyard

Stephon Castle has NBA future. Why he's focusing on present.

Reaction Score
Very good article from Borges. Interesting what Hurley did with Clingan and Castle. Smart move.

Hurley showed Stephon Castle, the freshman guard, and Donovan Clingan, the 7-foot-3 center, a list of players who had been projected to be 2023 lottery picks by "mock drafts" last year. Then he showed the UConn men's basketball duo how many of those players actually wound up lottery picks, or even draft picks, and how many wound up as free agents, remained in school or transferred to another program.

"It just shows that just because you’re ranked before the season, it means nothing," said Clingan. "It’s all about what you do on the court to help your team win ... These projected drafts, I don’t believe in them. If you don’t go out and do what you’ve got to do this year, you’re not getting picked where they say you will."

Alternate access:

UConn men's basketball freshman Stephon Castle has NBA future. Why he's focusing on present

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We already like Momma Castle but she's approaching peak mom status.

"We could not have picked a better school for him," Quannette said. "The coaches he has around him give him the same messages that we do. I tell Coach Hurley, Coach Kimani: 'Push him as hard as you can. You’re not going to receive a phone call from me.' "

Reaction Score
5* players inevitably come with a big ego. Many of them get that stomped out of them pretty early on in the season. Plenty of them play well below their potential because they can't recover from that initial gut punch.

Finding the kind of kid--like Castle--who is willing to be knocked down a peg or two and still put in the work needed to be successful is exactly what we need to be doing as a program. No need to cater to the whims of 18-year-olds egos like Calipari or Scheyer just to keep the team from imploding. We do things the right way.

Reaction Score
5* players inevitably come with a big ego. Many of them get that stomped out of them pretty early on in the season. Plenty of them play well below their potential because they can't recover from that initial gut punch.

Finding the kind of kid--like Castle--who is willing to be knocked down a peg or two and still put in the work needed to be successful is exactly what we need to be doing as a program. No need to cater to the whims of 18-year-olds egos like Calipari or Scheyer just to keep the team from imploding. We do things the right way.

And more than anything, it is Danny Hurley who does things "the right way". He chose coaches who also do things the right way. And they focus on recruits who they feel will come to UConn and do things "the right way" too.

We are so lucky to have Danny and this coaching staff at UConn. My only question about him the last few years is was he willing to adapt and learn how to have a better feel for in game and game to game adjustments that needed to be made. Last year he answered that question in spades with an emphatic "YES, I CAN!"

Let's just pray we can keep him here for the next 15 to 25 years. Because we have now, amazingly, embarked upon the 2nd awesome ride of our time as UConn fans. And that, my friends, is nothing short of incredible.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
There must be a sports reporting award, and if there is, this Ct. Insider series need to be nominated. Who's left, Newton?

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Well now we know why he picked us. Hype is not his thing. I have not seen him play much other than all star games and highlight clips. But I will be able to tell pretty quickly. After watching Hawk his freshman year before he got hurt I told my son he would only be around for two years. Playing and watching as much basketball as I have you can get a sense of talent. I could not believe we got two years of Caron Butler. I know he was a bit older when he got to UConn but watching him for half a game you could see. Just being honest and I love the kid but it may be, that Clingan is here for one more year. The foot injury is going to put him behind and we are asking a lot of him this year. Hope it is not overwhelming. Feet and guys over 7 ft will always be a concern. And he is still growing. Maybe giving him an extra month to heal would be the right move. If you watched the Walton special that was one of the biggest issues. Medicine and imaging was not as advanced and he kept coming back to soon from his foot injuries.

Reaction Score
We’re in a different place as a program. Most days, you’ve got three, four, five NBA teams here for a single practice. We used to get maybe one or two a week.
That's pretty nuts.

It's going to really benefit Ball, Ross, Johnson and those guys. A lot of exposure. And Newton and Spencer when it comes time for 2-ways and camp invites.

Last edited:

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
That's pretty nuts.

It's going to really benefit Ball, Ross, Johnson and those guys. A lot of exposure. And Newton and Spencer when in comes times for 2-ways and camp invites.
What a selling point when you are recruiting transfers looking for that final opportunity to pursue their NBA dreams.

Reaction Score
Looks like Mama and Papa Castle brought up the young pup the right way, head on straight.

Stephen and Hurley could be a natural fit just as Andre and Hurley.

Reaction Score
Hurley is an Old Big East Player and now Coach. Imagine Castle, a highly decorated, top recruit, NBA prospect does not start in those overseas exhibition games. Sure Diarra was most qualified at that time and deserved to start, but how many Coaches would have sat Castle to start that game?

Then not to bring him down to BE Media Day or not issuing effusive praises in after practice reports. He's building a monster basketball player folks.

His methods are old school and effective. Hurley ain't kissin ass to kick ass!

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Did Calhoun go out of his way to knock guys like Kemba Walker, Stanley Robinson, Andre Drummond, Rudy Gay down a peg by any chance? (Genuine question)

I understand hard coaching, but when it’s time I just hope Hurley lets Castle do him if he shows he’s the most productive player. Which seems like it’s been the case during their scrimmages. Feel like if a guy is that good we should really embrace that and maximize it.

Reaction Score
Did Calhoun go out of his way to knock guys like Kemba Walker, Stanley Robinson, Andre Drummond, Rudy Gay down a peg by any chance? (Genuine question)

I understand hard coaching, but when it’s time I just hope Hurley lets Castle do him if he shows he’s the most productive player. Which seems like it’s been the case during their scrimmages. Feel like if a guy is that good we should really embrace that and maximize it.
Mostly unrelated, but how wild is it that Rudy Gay was a top 10 recruit, shot 47% from 3 in his freshman season, and didn't go 1 and done? Would be unimaginable in today's game.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Mostly unrelated, but how wild is it that Rudy Gay was a top 10 recruit, shot 47% from 3 in his freshman season, and didn't go 1 and done? Would be unimaginable in today's game.
I don’t think there’s any way Rudy wouldn’t be a one and done nowadays. Back then the NBA wanted guys to be more ready before coming out and he was considered ‘soft’ at the time. Nowadays a lot of it is potential which he obviously oozed.

I remember Calhoun doing different things to get him to attack the rim more and try to get him mad to play angry. No idea where articles like that could be found now though. The 3 point number is kind of inflated because he didn’t even make one (0.9) a game.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Not to mention 6’8”

Reaction Score
Great kid and great family. Have seen a few things about the lack of media attention given to Castle. This has been very intentional by Danny and is not an indication of how he has been performing. Expect him to be very very good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom