Steph Curry | The Boneyard

Steph Curry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
No, this is NOT o t. In the future, whenever someone on the Boneyard starts bitching and moaning about one of our girls missing a lot of shots and suggesting that maybe she should stop shooting, I am just going to post a two-word rebuttal; Steph Curry. Or maybe if I can figure out how to do it, I will just store this image away and post it. For those who may not be aware of what Curry did last night, he missed his first 9 3's, then went totally nuts in the last quarter and overtime, hitting 5/7 3's and scoring 17 points in the overtime period alone. Many times in the past I have posted about Maria C. once having a 0/31 stretch on 3's, but this one probably makes the point better, which is; even the best shooters have stretches in which the damn ball just will NOT go down. They also have stretches in which it seems that they can't miss. Statistical studies have shown conclusively that the odds on any particular shot have absolutely nothing to do with what has happened recently, but only with the shooter's skill level over the long haul. If a kid is a 45% three-point shooter over her career, then any particular shot has a 45% chance of connecting, whether she has just missed the previous ten or has hit ten in a row. Really. Hot and cold "streaks" are simply a matter of the law of large numbers. Fortunately for the Warriors, Curry did not stop shooting.

upload_2016-5-10_19-25-33.png

Reaction Score
Or just listen to Geno, who never dwells on missed shots, but rather on bad shots (and bad play). A shooter has to shoot.

Last edited:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I got this lesson just a week ago or so: DT and 3 point shooters are never OT here. No matter the league.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
An interesting corollary to that was exhibit A this year - Uconn played a few teams early in the year who were shooting unconsciously from three - ND was as a team close to 60% when we played them and they proceeded to hit everything in their strong losing effort. While Uconn's defense was not as tight as it would become, the early returns were an aberration similar to individual hot and cold shooting streaks. It was in essence the 'law of small numbers' raising its head. ND as every team does over time returned to the range of accuracy that every team conforms to, and closed the year in the 42% range of three point accuracy. Just as those individuals who were at or above 60% accuracy returned to the norm around 50% (Shatori W-K had a truly remarkable year at .545 which ranks 4th all time in NCAA history and those above her set their mark 15+ years ago.)

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Curry's shot is unconscious and conscienceless; but the question for me last night was whether his injury and "rut" would affect the launch point enough to have a significant effect. I suspect it did until the adrenaline neutralized them and the real Steph came out. I watched him jump and bump all over the place and I was thinking: Man, spend some time with the trainers and the acetaminophen!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Curry's shot is unconscious and conscienceless; but the question for me last night was whether his injury and "rut" would affect the launch point enough to have a significant effect. I suspect it did until the adrenaline neutralized them and the real Steph came out. I watched him jump and bump all over the place and I was thinking: Man, spend some time with the trainers and the acetaminophen!
For me my concern for Curry was also his length of time away from competition. The idea of rust to a basketball player becomes exactly that change in release point. Also because of the injury I was concerned about his quickness in taking advantage of openings to launch his shot, openings to the rim etc.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
By the way, Steph's 17 points in overtime was the most ever scored by one player in OT in the history of the NBA, regular season or playoffs. And he just became a unanimous MVP, the first in the history of the league.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
The difference here is Steph Curry is the best player on the planet right now. He's the first unanimous MVP in the NBA. He's a special talent. Not many, if any, can do what Steph can do. So it's a bit unfair to whatever player you are comparing to Steph.

A better way to look at using Steph Curry as an example is forget what the critics or coaches say. It doesn't matter what your ranking is, or what school or club you play for. As long as you work hard and put in time in the gym, good things can happen for you.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I wonder if her could have done this during the 50's 60's or the Wooden era :rolleyes:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
glad that Tuck doesn't chase down refs complaining like Draymond Greene does :eek:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The Law of Large Numbers is highly accurate when prognosticating. Its microcosm,The Law of Averages, is a much less reliable predictor since its focus is on - of course - smaller numbers (e.g. teams, individuals, etc.). As Jerry Reed used to remind us:

"When you're hot, you're hot!
But when you're not, you're not!"

Zorro's graph about Spicy Curry (above, in the OP) explains this with precision.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The interesting thing with Steph is that his actual stats are not outliers - FG% is .504, 3% is .454 and those aren't far off his career numbers, nor anything that hasn't been seen before. The fact he is leading a team that is an outlier has greatly heightened his profile this year.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Great players like Curry, Kobe, Maya, or DT can shoot their way out of slumps, because they're greatness incarnate. But a guy like Jeremy Lamb, or Nurse, who is not on their level, should accept when they're having a bad game, and only take open shots.

Reaction Score
The interesting thing with Steph is that his actual stats are not outliers - FG% is .504, 3% is .454 and those aren't far off his career numbers, nor anything that hasn't been seen before. The fact he is leading a team that is an outlier has greatly heightened his profile this year.
50.4% on 21.3 shots per 36 min is massively better than 47.7% on 17.1 per 36. Same thing on 45.4% on 11.8 3s per 36 compared to 44.4% on 7.5 3s per 36.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom