Steph Curry breaking barriers to achieve gender equity in sports | The Boneyard

Steph Curry breaking barriers to achieve gender equity in sports

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
By Terrika Foster-Brasby | Aug 27, 2018

For the first time in five years, Steph Curry's elite basketball camp included two girls, Cameron Brink and Azzi Fudd who won the camp's 3-point shooting contest. After winning his third NBA title in June, Steph Curry could have easily stepped away from basketball for the rest of the summer.

But for someone who loves the sport the way he does, giving back and helping future players, regardless of gender, reach their highest potential are priorities that drew him back to the court.

"This is awesome," says Fudd, "but all these NBA scouts here. We're not going to the NBA. I'll never get to play with Steph Curry. But DT [Diana Taurasi], I look up to her, that's where I want to be when I get older."

[Story]

Last edited by a moderator:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice Fudd / DT quote. (Just remember where DT went ) :)

Steph follows up his Basketball Camp experience with a nice Players Tribune article about Equal Opportunities and Equal Pay (no WNBA talk).

This Is Personal | By Stephen Curry

Being the father to girls broadens your perspective.

Nice picture

c1413e37-photo-aug-13-7-49-37-pma.jpg

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
By Terrika Foster-Brasby | Aug 27, 2018

For the first time in five years, Steph Curry's elite basketball camp included two girls, Cameron Brink and Azzi Fudd who won the camp's 3-point shooting contest. After winning his third NBA title in June, Steph Curry could have easily stepped away from basketball for the rest of the summer.

But for someone who loves the sport the way he does, giving back and helping future players, regardless of gender, reach their highest potential are priorities that drew him back to the court.

"This is awesome," says Fudd, "but all these NBA scouts here. We're not going to the NBA. I'll never get to play with Steph Curry. But DT [Diana Taurasi], I look up to her, that's where I want to be when I get older."

[Story]
Someone please remind me where DT went to college. ;)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
What an absolutely wonderful column by Steph Curry.

I know nothing about him, but he sounds like a delightful human being.

I love the quote from Ariel Johnson Lin, a VP at JP Morgan Chase: "Be yourself. Be good, and try to be great — but always be yourself."

I also like one from John Wooden, "Working hard does not guarantee success, but not working hard guarantees failure." I have that one up in my office. I might put Ms. Lin's up, too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I hate to be a downer, but since his camp is by invitation only, there was only one person keeping women out of it in the first place - Steph Curry.

Great, he changed his mind. But contrary to the popular narrative, nobody was forcing Steph Curry to run his camp for men only.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I hate to be a downer, but since his camp is by invitation only, there was only one person keeping women out of it in the first place - Steph Curry.

Great, he changed his mind. But contrary to the popular narrative, nobody was forcing Steph Curry to run his camp for men only.

You make it sound like he was actively against the idea while everyone else was pushing for it. I am pretty sure the idea just never really occurred to him (or just about everyone else) to mix genders in a high level basketball camp. I give him full credit (perhaps with strong input from family and Under Armour) for evolving his thought processes to allow this non traditional idea to grow into action with his full participation by all accounts. :)

Hopefully, this is just the beginning.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom