Stay the course! | The Boneyard

Stay the course!

Reaction Score
Just my take.
We have an EXCELLENT young core with ADAMS Bouknight Akok
Our pg position will be upgraded by Cole next year on a big way.
Need to stay/ stick with upperclassmen and get through a tough patch.
Go back to what gave us season success— good defense.
The only change I’d make is getting some more size / defense into starting line up. We’re too small at 1-2.
Josh Carlton has had a couple of bad games — but we have to forgive/forget move on. We need him to simply focus and play harder — he can do that .
We need Polley to move around the court more— he needs to be active and we need to help both of those guys get better shots.
Couple of bad games. We played well against other good clubs. Simply need to get back with some little tweaks.
The only negative thing I’d say about Hurley is to stop the in game whining DO NOT get technicals keep composure so the guys can stay focused. If the coach gets rattled sends bad message to team

Reaction Score
I'd rather the coach show emotion than no emotion and sulk on the bench (Ollie). Polley is very limited, unless he develops his ball handling skills fast or gets more lean, I'm not sure what more he can be other than a shooter who needs to come off a screen or is open.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I don't think Cole is a step up from Gilbert. Did anyone here go to the open practice? He's even more under-sized and can't shoot any better. I don't think he gets much run - especially with Gaffney there.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
I don't think Cole is a step up from Gilbert. Did anyone here go to the open practice? He's even more under-sized and can't shoot any better. I don't think he gets much run - especially with Gaffney there.

Can’t remember which game, but one of the announcers mentioned he heard Cole has been the best player on the court in practice. That might be hyperbole but I’m expecting a step up from Gilbert

Reaction Score
Just my take.
We have an EXCELLENT young core with ADAMS Bouknight Akok
Our pg position will be upgraded by Cole next year on a big way.
Need to stay/ stick with upperclassmen and get through a tough patch.
Go back to what gave us season success— good defense.
The only change I’d make is getting some more size / defense into starting line up. We’re too small at 1-2.
Josh Carlton has had a couple of bad games — but we have to forgive/forget move on. We need him to simply focus and play harder — he can do that .
We need Polley to move around the court more— he needs to be active and we need to help both of those guys get better shots.
Couple of bad games. We played well against other good clubs. Simply need to get back with some little tweaks.
The only negative thing I’d say about Hurley is to stop the in game whining DO NOT get technicals keep composure so the guys can stay focused. If the coach gets rattled sends bad message to team
Yeah, but are the Huskies still winning the national championship this season? Or at worst please tell me they're going to make the NCAA Tournament.

Reaction Score
If I recall correctly Calhoun also stated his support for Gilbert. And as for winning ways he won 2 GA state titles and fit his “ are you a winner? “ requirement for a pg.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I am not on any course that involves trashing our upperclassmen.

Reaction Score
Can’t remember which game, but one of the announcers mentioned he heard Cole has been the best player on the court in practice. That might be hyperbole but I’m expecting a step up from Gilbert
The guy who can’t play is ALWAYS the best player on the court. Once he gets into a game it often changes.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I just feel bad for Carlton. Can't imagine what is going on in his head. A month ago, I did not think he could become so small.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I just feel bad for Carlton. Can't imagine what is going on in his head. A month ago, I did not think he could become so small.

I never thought Carlton was THE problem...I don't see how benching him helps us. In fact, it doesn't.

Reaction Score
"Cannons to the left of us, cannons to the right", General Scrappy3 "should we stay the course?".

Reaction Score
You're saying a guy can't shoot based on 1 open practice? The kid shot 39% from long distance last year on high volume and has career splits of 40/37/80. Gilbert is shooting 30% from the field (and 3 point range) this year and is 36/31/72 in his career.

Reaction Score

Claim 1: RJ Cole is more undersized than Rique

How is a person who is taller and heavier than Alterique, that plays the same position, "more undersized." This makes less than 0 sense. Keep in mind that RJ is also a full 2 years younger than rique and will likely get stronger.

Alterique -- 6'0 and 180 lbs.
RJ Cole -- 6'1 and 185 lbs

Claim 2: RJ Cole can't shoot any better. Based on a single PRACTICE you witnessed. Let's look at games vs. high-major competition instead, yeah?

Harvard: 21/3/8 7/18 FG 2/8 3PT 5/8 FT 2 STL 2 TO
Georgetown: 28/2/6 9/21 FG 2/5 3FG 8/8 FT 2 STL 6 TO
Indiana: 27/2/8 8/22 FG 5/8 3FG 6/6 FT 1 STL 1 TO
#17 Gonzaga: 16/1/4 5/17FG 2/8 3FG 4/5 FT 0 STL 3 TO (This team finished the season #8)
USF: 17/2/6 5/14 FG 1/5 3FG 6/6 FT 1 STL 3 TO
Georgetwon: 17/3/8 6/19 FG 3/9 3FG 2/2 FT 1 STL 1 TO

Your averages for freshman and sophomore year:

21 PPG
2.2 RPG
6.7 APG
36% FG
35% 3FG
84% FT
1.2 STL
2.7 TO

In comparison, Rique is shooting vs high major comp this year:

Florida: 10/2/4 3/13 0/6 4/7 2 stl 2 to
Xavier: 14/6/5 2/13 1/2 9/9 0 stl 3 TO
Miami 4/3/7 2/5 0/4 0/1 0 stl 2 to
Indiana: 3/4/8 1/9 1/4 0/0 0 STL 3 TO
Cinci: 7/2/2 3/9 1/3 0/0 1 stl 3 to
USF: 4/1/8 1/3 1/2 1/2 1 stl 3 to

7 PPG
3 RPG
5.3 APG
23% FG
19% 3 FG
78 % FT
0.7 STL
2.7 TO

So your two claims 1) He's more undersized than Rique; 2) He can't shoot any better are both pretty easily proven wrong. There's no eye test here--these are numbers.

Coming from the MEAC is a concern. That's obvious. But the kid isn't smaller than Rique, and he shot better against high-major comp with a less talented supporting cast.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If I recall correctly Calhoun also stated his support for Gilbert. And as for winning ways he won 2 GA state titles and fit his “ are you a winner? “ requirement for a pg.

Except, for the umpteenth time, AG was NOT the starting PG on his Miller Grove high school team. He started at the 2. And while he often did end up taking the ball up the court, it was not to distribute; it was to score the ball himself, usually by a drive to the basket. He was his team's chief offensive threat, and the last thing his coach wanted was for him to distribute. The notion of AG as a pure point is one of the self-sustaining myths for which the Boneyard is renowned.

Reaction Score
Ajou?

Reaction Score
Except, for the umpteenth time, AG was NOT the starting PG on his Miller Grove high school team. He started at the 2. And while he often did end up taking the ball up the court, it was not to distribute; it was to score the ball himself, usually by a drive to the basket. He was his team's chief offensive threat, and the last thing his coach wanted was for him to distribute. The notion of AG as a pure point is one of the self-sustaining myths for which the Boneyard is renowned.
Noted.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom