Status of SNY for next year? | The Boneyard

Status of SNY for next year?

Reaction Score
Haven’t heard or seen anything, or haven’t been paying close enough attention. Does anyone have any info? Thanks!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Last I heard was they are negotiating. I am guessing as soon as there is something concrete that it will be publicized.

Reaction Score
I seem to recall reading a while back that the Big East's contract with Fox would void if they added or lost any teams, so I'm guessing they have to renegotiate with Fox before anyone can start talking about SNY

Reaction Score
I seem to recall reading a while back that the Big East's contract with Fox would void if they added or lost any teams, so I'm guessing they have to renegotiate with Fox before anyone can start talking about SNY
So the deal with SNY will be dependent on Fox for tier 3?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Actually the Big East is allowed to renegotiate their contract with Fox because they added UConn, If they had lost a team then Fox would have been able to renegotiate the contract. After the renegotiation is completed then CBS Sports has the option to carry any Big East games that is not carried by Fox. Then I believe it would be the individual school contracts is next in line, i.e. SNY. ESPN will only be able to carry any games that they have the rights to like ACC, SEC, Big Ten, AAC home games, or buy those rights to carry from SNY for individual games.

Reaction Score
Actually the Big East is allowed to renegotiate their contract with Fox because they added UConn, If they had lost a team then Fox would have been able to renegotiate the contract. After the renegotiation is completed then CBS Sports has the option to carry any Big East games that is not carried by Fox. Then I believe it would be the individual school contracts is next in line, i.e. SNY. ESPN will only be able to carry any games that they have the rights to like ACC, SEC, Big Ten, AAC home games, or buy those rights to carry from SNY for individual games.

This is why I can't seem to figure out how ESPN decides which games they want to televise. Example, today's Oregon St vs Oregon 4pm on ESPN2. For sure this game belongs to the PAC-12 Network, why wouldn't the PAC-12 take advantage of this game for their own Network? The only thing I can figure out is that ESPN has first dibs on all games.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
This is why I can't seem to figure out how ESPN decides which games they want to televise. Example, today's Oregon St vs Oregon 4pm on ESPN2. For sure this game belongs to the PAC-12 Network, why wouldn't the PAC-12 take advantage of this game for their own Network? The only thing I can figure out is that ESPN has first dibs on all games.
Complete guess here but maybe because ESPN has total rights for the Big Dance, they also have first rights to any NCAA WBB game?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Frankly I'd be happy if the games were broadcast anywhere on linear TV.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Maybe @LoTrader or @jonson could opine on the specifics of the rights component, but my understanding is yes, it was a PAC12 game and ESPN bought the rights (and PAC12 was willing to sell the rights) as this would be a much anticipated and watched game. ESPN is in significantly more households and would be good for the PAC12 to have ANY of their games in prime time.
BTW-don't expect any PAC12 games to be coming to "normal" tv anytime soon. The PAC12 network is committed through 2024 unless it goes under before then...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom