States with most players in Sweet Sixteen | The Boneyard

States with most players in Sweet Sixteen

Reaction Score
Boredom made me peruse each school left in the Sweet Sixteen and note which state each "significant" player came from. I didn't want to include everyone listed on their roster, as that would include players who were injured, walk-ons or ones who hardly play. So I arbitrarily limited the list to girls whose total minutes played is at least 10 times the number of their teams games. For instance UConn has played 34 games, so only those who have played at least 340 minutes are included. For UConn this includes 7 players, the 5 starters and Crystal and Natalie. This gave me a range of 6 players (ORE) to 10 players (OSU, MISS ST, LOUISVILLE and BAYLOR) for each team.

The top states are:

19 - CAL
16 - TEX
9 - FLOR
8 - GEOR
6 - NY
5 - OHIO
ILL
4 - NJ
WASH
CONN

CT and FL were each aided by one foreign player who finished their high school career in those states. It's a small sample size but these seem like the usual power states, except for CT which was bolstered by Quinnipiac's run to the sweet sixteen!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting that the east coast between NJ and Georgia is not represented in the top states. And without a foreign prep player and QU pulling two upsets, Connecticut wouldn't register any.
Thanks for posting - would enjoy the rest of the list.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Boredom made me peruse each school left in the Sweet Sixteen and note which state each "significant" player came from. I didn't want to include everyone listed on their roster, as that would include players who were injured, walk-ons or ones who hardly play. So I arbitrarily limited the list to girls whose total minutes played is at least 10 times the number of their teams games. For instance UConn has played 34 games, so only those who have played at least 340 minutes are included. For UConn this includes 7 players, the 5 starters and Crystal and Natalie. This gave me a range of 6 players (ORE) to 10 players (OSU, MISS ST, LOUISVILLE and BAYLOR) for each team.

The top states are:

19 - CAL
16 - TEX
9 - FLOR
8 - GEOR
6 - NY
5 - OHIO
ILL
4 - NJ
WASH
CONN

CT and FL were each aided by one foreign player who finished their high school career in those states. It's a small sample size but these seem like the usual power states, except for CT which was bolstered by Quinnipiac's run to the sweet sixteen!

The New Jersey number (4?) struck me as low so I double checked and came up with (8) Theresa Ekhelar OSU, Aja Ellison MD, Blair Watson MD, Myisha Hines-Allen-Louisville, Sam Fuehring- Louisville, Marina Mabrey- ND Doniyah Cliney-SC, & Brittany Martin- Quinnipiac. There might be other discrepancies as well.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Maybe I'm misinterpreting the methodology, but isn't there a player from Tennessee who happens to play for UConn? Just think of the delicious irony: if you're a high school stand-out from Tennessee and want to be playing in the Sweet Sixteen you are better off going to UConn. Makes me smile just thinking about that.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Maybe I'm misinterpreting the methodology, but isn't there a player from Tennessee who happens to play for UConn? Just think of the delicious irony: if you're a high school stand-out from Tennessee and want to be playing in the Sweet Sixteen you are better off going to UConn. Makes me smile just thinking about that.
The list is the top states, so the cut off was four - so there may be a lot of states with just one.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
The list is the top states, so the cut off was four - so there may be a lot of states with just one.

OK, I see. I though Illinois was misplaced, but it's a fiver with Ohio and I understand notation now. Thanks .....

.... I still think it delicious, though, that if you're from Tennessee this suggests you should go to UConn. :)

Reaction Score
The New Jersey number (4?) struck me as low so I double checked and came up with (8) Theresa Ekhelar OSU, Aja Ellison MD, Blair Watson MD, Myisha Hines-Allen-Louisville, Sam Fuehring- Louisville, Marina Mabrey- ND Doniyah Cliney-SC, & Brittany Martin- Quinnipiac. There might be other discrepancies as well.
I'm not sure if you actually read the parameters that I used in my list. It ONLY includes those players that played at least 10 times as many minutes as their team played games! For instance UConn has played 34 games so far, so only those players playing at least 340 minutes would be included. Under my guidelines NJ has 4 players total on the sweet sixteen teams.

I didn't list all the states earlier, simply because I didn't think it was that important but the states with 3 players each are ARIZ, IND, MARY, MISS and SC. States with 2 players are ALAB, TENN, MO, NEV and ORE. States with 1 payer are ARK, COL, ID, ALASKA, KENT, LA, MICH, NEBR, PENN, VIR, W VIR, WISC, DC, MASS and WYOM. Also 3 from Australia and Spain, 2 from Canada and Germany, and 1 from Sweden and Ireland.

These all came from each schools media guide and where they posted as their last school.

Reaction Score
Oops and 1 player from Latvia! When I tried to edit my post I only saw what the person I quoted had said.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Oops and 1 player from Latvia! When I tried to edit my post I only saw what the person I quoted had said.
Thanks for posting the rest - I really find it interesting and was curious. That does fill in the rest of the eastern seaboard nicely.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Interesting stat that I noticed last week: There were SIX Riverdale Baptist alums in the NCAA tourney. Not too shabby for one prep school.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom