Statefarm Champion's Classic | The Boneyard

Statefarm Champion's Classic

Status
Not open for further replies.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Duke, Kansas, and Kentucky this is an ESPN wet dream. Interested to see Duke vs some real competition.

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
What is Michigan St a champion of the B1G? Elite Eight?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
There have been 15 champions crowned in the new millennium. These teams have accounted for 5: UK - 2012, KU - 2008, MSU - 2000, and Duke - 2001, 2010.

Connecticut, Florida, North Carolina, and Duke would have more cache as a "Champions" Classic.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
we have as many championships in recent memory as everyone involved combined.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Nice to see Kemba in attendance!

Reaction Score
How can a Champions Classic not include UConn? Second year in a row, too. Why not throw Maryland and Syracuse in there too? Both are great November Champions. I much prefer the April Champions Classic, the one with 64 losers.

Reaction Score
I think MSU is fine- they are one of a handful of programs that have won multiple NCs.

I think it was a cool idea to have this tournament, but it's pretty boring and lazy that they are having the same four teams for another three-year set.

They should be adding some of these programs to make it more interesting:

Uconn
UNC
UCLA
Louisville
Indiana (stink right now)
Florida

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
How can a Champions Classic not include UConn? Second year in a row, too. Why not throw Maryland and Syracuse in there too? Both are great November Champions. I much prefer the April Champions Classic.

This is actually the 3rd year each team rotates opponents, but yeah the "Champions" name is dumb. "Conference Champions" Classic would be more appropriate.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I think MSU is fine- they are one of a handful of programs that have won multiple NCs.

I think it was a cool idea to have this tournament, but it's pretty boring and lazy that they are having the same four teams for another three-year set.

They should be adding some of these programs to make it more interesting:

Uconn
UNC
UCLA
Louisville
Indiana (stink right now)
Florida
San Francisco won in 1955 and '56, Holy Cross won in 1947 and went back the Final 4 in '48. Didn't Cinci win a couple times with Oscar?

Reaction Score
I really like valentines new game/expanded role. knock down shooter with ball handling + size. lourawls nairn , the freshman backup on state, reminds me of yogi ferrell. really playing well vs tyus jones.

Reaction Score
San Francisco won in 1955 and '56, Holy Cross won in 1947 and went back the Final 4 in '48. Didn't Cinci win a couple times with Oscar?

Michigan State is a perennial tournament team and often goes far in the tournament. They're not in the same category as USF or Holy Cross, or even Cincy.

Plus, the media love Izzo.

Are there better programs than MSU? Sure, including Uconn.

But there's nothing wrong having them in this type of 'tournament.'

I'd just like to see some of the other big time programs play in a tournament like this

Husky25

Reaction Score
Michigan State is a perennial tournament team and often goes far in the tournament. They're not in the same category as USF or Holy Cross, or even Cincy.

Plus, the media love Izzo.

Are there better programs than MSU? Sure, including Uconn.

But there's nothing wrong having them in this type of 'tournament.'

I'd just like to see some of the other big time programs play in a tournament like this
I think you are taking a post written partially in jest far too seriously. MSU should be a tournament like this, but not 3 years in a row.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Check out that Dog on the jumbotron catching those Frisbees.... impressive.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Seems like the key to defending Okafor is to be physical with him. He's kind of soft. Has a ton of offensive talent though, he has every low post move in the book.

Reaction Score
Duke does a pretty poor job of getting back on D, Mich St is getting alot of looks in transition. If our guys can board we can run on them in our matchup.

Reaction Score
Duke does a pretty poor job of getting back on D, Mich St is getting alot of looks in transition. If our guys can board we can run on them in our matchup.

They generally don't look that great defensively, even in the half court. They also do their usual thing where they extend their guards out way beyond the three point line so Boat et al. are going to have room for dribble penetration. MSU's getting some easy dunks because Duke's rotations haven't been good.

They're pretty good on the other end though. Okafor's going to be a challenge. I can see Amida on the bench with 2 pretty quickly. Wonder if Lubin can eat some minutes guarding him.

I almost didn't recognize Travis Trice with no Boatright in his jersey.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Duke is going to go to Okafor early look to get Brimah in foul trouble. Okafor has a high basketball IQ and understands that. That is worrisome.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
incarcerated BoB heavy on Kentucky -7. I got Kansas +7 easy $

Reaction Score
Duke is going to go to Okafor early look to get Brimah in foul trouble. Okafor has a high basketball IQ and understands that. That is worrisome.
At the same time with their overextended perimeter D our guards can penetrate and draw fouls on him. Hopefully by that time Purvis will have things a lil more sorted out and is more controlled on his drives. Boat, TSam, and Purv should be able to get into the lane often.

Reaction Score
The one thing I notice about Michigan State is that they can't protect the rim at all. Duke's guards were able to drive to the rim undeterred whenever they wanted. They didn't record a single block all game, and when that happens, your opponent ends up shooting 54% from the floor to go along with 26 free throw attempts. They difference in the UConn/Duke game may be whether Brimah can stay on the floor (based on what we've seen, those odds probably aren't in our favor at the moment).

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
I literally bet Kansas +7 100 times. I hope this wasn't a terrible bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom