State of the Huskies Poll 1-17-19 | The Boneyard

State of the Huskies Poll 1-17-19

At this point what are your expectation for the season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There was a lot irrational exuberance at the start of the season, especially after the 'Cuse win. Now we've had time to see enough of this team to know who are. At this point, how do you think they are going to do? Poll closes in a week.

Reaction Score
I dunno.

Maybe i'm among a select few, but I figured this would be exactly what they are.

I'm also really surprised people had lofty expectations. I mean if this isn't just a total 'who cares, throwaway' year from a W-L standpoint, then I don't know what would be. Lack of talent. Recruiting needs to be the focus and developing your actual core pieces heading forward (Wilson, Gilbert). I mean whatever happens with nearly everyone else on the team happens. Not trying to be cold, but none of them are really good enough to help you a ton heading forward.

So treat them with dignity, hope they get better without losing sleep over it because there's a GOOD chance they won't. Hopefully your Kwintin Williams of the world figure out on their own that this probably isn't for them and you can stock pile some extra scholarships and start plugging in higher end talent.

It's gonna take two years to even start talking about being competitive.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I still think we're good enough to make the NIT and we'll get things turned around somewhat. Even if we don't make it, I expect we'll have a winning record. Finally, even if they don't do that I have faith that Hurley will get the culture turned around and we'll be back in the national spotlight in a few years. His first seasons in Wagner and Rhode Island were both terrible, but then he quickly turned their programs around. I expect the same thing here.

Reaction Score
Tulane - W
Wichita St - W
UCF - L
ECU - W
Temple - L
Memphis - W
Houston - L
SMU - L
Cincinnati - L
Wichita St - W
USF - W
Temple - L
ECU - W

17-14 finish. Give me the NIT and some extra MSG games!
I like the optimism and think it’s possible we finish with that record. But, it would take a miracle for this team to make an NIT semi/final at MSG.

Reaction Score
[QUOTE="Rico444, post: 2999175, member: 263"]His first seasons in Wagner and Rhode Island were both terrible, but then he quickly turned their programs around. I expect the same thing here.[/QUOTE]

People realize that year-1 of rebuilds are almost universally terrible, right? How on earth do people not get this?

We've got a crack at a winning record, a shot at actual post-season basketball and a top 20 recruiting class that might end up even better once the year's out. All this in a year for a team that hasn't effectively recruited in three years, has had the spectre of an NCAA investigation around it and a culture who's cornerstones the last three years has been total apathy, laziness and peeing your pants.

CL82

Reaction Score
As with most polls like this I don’t see a choice that reflects my opinion.
Feel free to post it.

CL82

Reaction Score
Lost season. We need to gut this roster.
So,

• Losing season but team gets familiar with Hurley's pressure style, hope for next season. Hurley takes everyone's scholarship?

Reaction Score
So,

• Losing season but team gets familiar with Hurley's pressure style, hope for next season. Hurley takes everyone's scholarship?
Not eveyone, but most. A man can dream, can't he?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Hoping for NIT, less technical fouls, more technical training/coaching from the staff and the pipe dream of a big showing up on a consistent basis

Reaction Score
So,

I think 'gutting' the roster is the wrong word, but basically you hope for some turnover. Like I don't think Dan needs to be taking scholarships away. But I DO think there needs to be really honest conversations with guys like Whaley and Kwintin Williams about what reality is going to look like for them the next few years if they want to stay.

And in brutal honesty - you hope they kind of read between the lines and understand that they're probably best off finding other places to play assuming they want to *play* college basketball.

And then that opens up some scholarships or at least some opportunities for a grad transfer to come in who's more talented and can at least serve as a stop gap so you can bring in a four-year kid.

That's what they need to work on.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
At this point 17-14 is highly likely

Reaction Score
I think 'gutting' the roster is the wrong word, but basically you hope for some turnover. Like I don't think Dan needs to be taking scholarships away. But I DO think there needs to be really honest conversations with guys like Whaley and Kwintin Williams about what reality is going to look like for them the next few years if they want to stay.

And in brutal honesty - you hope they kind of read between the lines and understand that they're probably best off finding other places to play assuming they want to *play* college basketball.

And then that opens up some scholarships or at least some opportunities for a grad transfer to come in who's more talented and can at least serve as a stop gap so you can bring in a four-year kid.

That's what they need to work on.
Yes, "gutting" is the off the record term amongst friends. What you said is far more diplomatic and 100% accurate.

Reaction Score
Tulane - W
Wichita St - W
UCF - L
ECU - W
Temple - L
Memphis - W
Houston - L
SMU - L
Cincinnati - L
Wichita St - W
USF - W
Temple - L
ECU - W

17-14 finish. Give me the NIT and some extra MSG games!
That won't get you into the NIT. People are using the old formula of what it took UConn to be in the NIT. Don't they take all conference regular season champions who didn't make the NCAA Tournament? That takes away spots that used to be available. And when UConn was in the Big East they had many more chances to get some good wins. Out of those W's which ones would be good wins? I just don't see 17-14 being good enough to get them into the NIT.

Reaction Score
Yes, "gutting" is the off the record term amongst friends. What you said is far more diplomatic and 100% accurate.

No i got what you said - just felt like it should be fleshed out a bit more.

The Astros won the World Series in 2017, winning 101 games. In Lunhow's first two seasons as GM, they won 112 games total.

These things don't happen overnight, guys.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
That won't get you into the NIT. People are using the old formula of what it took UConn to be in the NIT. Don't they take all conference regular season champions who didn't make the NCAA Tournament? That takes away spots that used to be available. And when UConn was in the Big East they had many more chances to get some good wins. Out of those W's which ones would be good wins? I just don't see 17-14 being good enough to get them into the NIT.

I thought you need a .500 conference record too. We are 1-4.

CL82

Reaction Score
where is the "Doomed" selection?

Asking for a friend..
Tried to avoid hyperbole or funny answers. I wanted to get a sense of how the BY fan base actually perceives the team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom