State Missing the Point on XL | The Boneyard

State Missing the Point on XL

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chief00

About a week ago I read the article on XL renovations for $250 million. They really miss the most fundamental reason why it's outdated. The seats on the side go too gradually back - so too many fans sit too far away. Had TV is a better view.

I happen to have great seats but once a year I trade with a friend and it's a huge difference. What new arenas have is a second level which over hangs the lower level - so the seats are much closer to the action. Often luxary boxes are between the two levels. Without adding that design (second level overhang) the renovations are a waste of money.
In the article there was much talk of adding "premium seating". Since UConn is their main tenant - do they realize most people may feel they already paid premium prices with their donations. Most people in the lower levels for men's basketball between the baselines have cumulative donated over $100k - and the end zones probably $50k to $100k.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
About a week ago I read the article on XL renovations for $250 million. They really miss the most fundamental reason why it's outdated. The seats on the side go too gradually back - so too many fans sit too far away. Had TV is a better view.

I happen to have great seats but once a year I trade with a friend and it's a huge difference. What new arenas have is a second level which over hangs the lower level - so the seats are much closer to the action. Often luxary boxes are between the two levels. Without adding that design (second level overhang) the renovations are a waste of money.
In the article there was much talk of adding "premium seating". Since UConn is their main tenant - do they realize most people may feel they already paid premium prices with their donations. Most people in the lower levels for men's basketball between the baselines have cumulative donated over $100k - and the end zones probably $50k to $100k.
I'm not sure what you're upset over. Your flawed analysis of a cost savings analysis of basketball arenas from a structural engineering standpoint, or your distaste towards capitalism and the benefits of this type of economic system.

Reaction Score
What new arenas have is a second level which over hangs the lower level - so the seats are much closer to the action. Often luxary boxes are between the two levels. Without adding that design (second level overhang) the renovations are a waste of money.

Huh? I went to the Clippers game Thursday night, Staples isn't set up like that. Neither is Barclays, which is about as new as it gets. Hell, I went to the Louisville / Duke game last year and the Yum! Center doesn't resemble what you're describing. I'll give you credit - it's an interesting complaint.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
My favorite part of his post was how he described the complete opposite of a modern arena.
I'm not sure why, but your new profile pic is bothering me, I'm so used to the old one.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
My favorite part of his post was how he described the complete opposite of a modern arena.

EVERY new sports venue is moving the higher decks further back from the playing surface and bringing the luxury suites/expensive seats lower and closer to it. Chief literally could not be more incorrect on this.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why, but your new profile pic is bothering me, I'm so used to the old one.
i like how he's incorporated his 2 passions in to 1 avatar. Very creative

C

Chief00

EVERY new sports venue is moving the higher decks further back from the playing surface and bringing the luxury suites/expensive seats lower and closer to it. Chief literally could not be more incorrect on this.

I don't disagree with moving the luxary boxes lower. I also don't agree with the description of Barclays seating.

If you think the XL upper level seating design is state of art; you are basically clueless.
Also, we do currently have on court premium seating which appears to be used mostly by one family and friends.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
I feel like this is the case for almost every arena, including Gampel.

I would watch the team play anyone if I had lower bowl seats. I'd rather watch the game on TV than sit in the upper seats.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I feel like this is the case for almost every arena, including Gampel.

I would watch the team play anyone if I had lower bowl seats. I'd rather watch the game on TV than sit in the upper seats.
At Gampel? Really?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The last row at gampel is better than the first row of the uppers at xl.
Yeah, that's definitely the case for me, too, which is why tdrink's post surprised me.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with moving the luxary boxes lower. I also don't agree with the description of Barclays seating.

If you think the XL upper level seating design is state of art; you are basically clueless.
Also, we do currently have on court premium seating which appears to be used mostly by one family and friends.
Hence why they're renovating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky