State Contacts Info | The Boneyard

State Contacts Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I've had enough of this pandering from ESPN. There is not a metric out there that UConn doesn't meet for Power Conference requirements. It's time to put some heat on ESPN. $200+M in taxpayer money to renovate/expand their campus in a digital upgrade. $26M/yr annual tax credits.

ESPN says that the G5 candidate pool would "water down" the P5 conferences. That is true for every G5 school EXCEPT BYU and UConn. I want ESPN to definitively show their market data they have on UConn and compare it to that recently conducted from Navigate Research and BHV. Let's make them share their data.

I have also had enough of funding these tax credits and breaks to a company that has done absolutely nothing to enhance the lives of the state that they operate in (and take money from). No P5 membership is not only detrimental to UConn's athletic programs, but it could also have a very serious long-term affect on the university itself. A university that is striving to become world class and that has received BILLIONS in state funding to get there.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, read this: Big 12 TV partners push back on expansion

I can't take this anymore. This is far too critical a time for our state and university to sit and accept ESPN's word as Gospel. We have all seen the metrics data and it is MUCH different than what we are being told by ESPN.

Governor Dan MalloyVerified account
@GovMalloyOffice

Share Your Opinion - Connecticut's Official State Website

• Contact
Office of the Governor

State Capitol
210 Capitol Avenue
Hartford, CT 06106

Phone: 860-566-4840
Toll-Free: 800-406-1527
TDD: 860-524-7397
Fax: 860-524-7395

AG George Jepsen
@AGJepsen
attorney.general@ct.gov

ag_address_box_01.gif

55 Elm Street
Hartford, CT 06106

Telephone:
(860) 808-5318

Fax:
(860) 808-5387

Richard BlumenthalVerified account
@SenBlumenthal

Blumenthal, Richard - (D - CT) Class III
706 Hart Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510
(202) 224-2823

Chris MurphyVerified account
@ChrisMurphyCT

Murphy, Christopher - (D - CT) Class I
136 Hart Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510
(202) 224-4041

Reaction Score
Ugh god don't say anything to Tricky Dick. That guy will ensure we're here forever

HuskyV

Connecticut UConn Husky
Reaction Score
Wishful thinking, I am sure, but the Fox/ESPN protest may help us. UConn is one of the few schools that would add value to the Big12.

They are telling that they cannot add Houston & collect full price. Texas if you want Houston, then we need to do something productive with the LHN.

Reaction Score
I appreciate the frustration but I don't want to alienate anyone by using our overheated political folks. They have little clout or leverage (or we'd already be in) and grandstanding seems to be their calling card. Let's not let them embarrass us and make enemies of any new potential partners. We can't seem to manage our own state economy. That's not bargaining from a position of strength.

Reaction Score
I appreciate the frustration but I don't want to alienate anyone by using our overheated political folks. They have little clout or leverage (or we'd already be in) and grandstanding seems to be their calling card. Let's not let them embarrass us and make enemies of any new potential partners. We can't seem to manage our own state economy. That's not bargaining from a position of strength.
Nonsense. As a taxpayer in this fine state, ESPN saves a ton of money at my expense and continues to devalue the one brand this state has. Lets flex whatever muscle we have to hit them back in the one way they understand. Dooley, keep doing what you are doing.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Literally every other candidate has called in their biggest chip. BYU has ESPN in their pocket because of BYUtv. Houston has political pressure from Texas politicians to create a UT-Houston facility. Cincinnati has Kroger. Memphis has FedEx (and some guy with his in a box). UCF is boasting FL recruiting with Larry the Cable Guy.

UConn? Our market, the entire state of Connecticut, has supported ESPN from its inception. Heck, UConn games were amongst the first events aired on the station. Our taxpayer money has been used to support ESPN campus renovations and expansions - including most recently in 2013 in their move to a digital platform. ESPN receives a $26M/yr tax credit each and every year. Who is left to absorb the costs? Me.

. It's long overdue that UConn plays its biggest chip. ESPN. UConn alone can't apply the necessary pressure. It needs help from its alumni and fanbase. We need to rally as a state to help State U. We need political pressure applied, similar to Texas political pressure that has catapulted U of Houston, a glorified commuter school, into pole position for B12 expansion.

This might be it for many many years. If we are all content to buy into these bogus ACC rumors, based on the condition that Notre Dame must join full-time, I'd rather put my hope and faith in a unicorn landing on my nose and granting me 3 magical wishes. There is only one P5 expansion happening and that is the Big 12. UConn needs to get in or else it faces extreme consequences to its athletics and academics goals. No. We have waited long enough. UConn has paid its dues. UConn fans have paid our dues. It's time for ESPN to pay its dues.

Reaction Score
I think they should be making inquiries and asking Pres. Herbst what they can do to help. She needs to be the filter here. A coordinated strategy is the best way to go.

Reaction Score
Dooley couldn't be more correct!! I've already written to Malloy. If nothing else, it's worth hearing what type of response I'll get back. I'll be making sure that a "canned one" will not be acceptable.
ESPN is allegedly a corporate citizen and has a chance to step-up and make a difference in the very area in which they" play" and instead have elected to be an obstacle - sacrificing, for their own gain, the welfare of our flagship university and our sports-minded citizen try!! It shouldn't go unnoticed!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Looks like Cincinnati just called on Kasich now as well.

Reaction Score
I think they should be making inquiries and asking Pres. Herbst what they can do to help. She needs to be the filter here. A coordinated strategy is the best way to go. I wonder how many actually have a grasp of the role ESPN can play in these decisions.

Reaction Score
Wishful thinking, I am sure, but the Fox/ESPN protest may help us. UConn is one of the few schools that would add value to the Big12.

They are telling that they cannot add Houston & collect full price. Texas if you want Houston, then we need to do something productive with the LHN.

There you go using logic. Truthfully, that was my first thought, than rule 1 logic took over

Reaction Score
I've had enough of this pandering from ESPN. There is not a metric out there that UConn doesn't meet for Power Conference requirements. It's time to put some heat on ESPN. $200+M in taxpayer money to renovate/expand their campus in a digital upgrade. $26M/yr annual tax credits.

ESPN says that the G5 candidate pool would "water down" the P5 conferences. That is true for every G5 school EXCEPT BYU and UConn. I want ESPN to definitively show their market data they have on UConn and compare it to that recently conducted from Navigate Research and BHV. Let's make them share their data.

I have also had enough of funding these tax credits and breaks to a company that has done absolutely nothing to enhance the lives of the state that they operate in (and take money from). No P5 membership is not only detrimental to UConn's athletic programs, but it could also have a very serious long-term affect on the university itself. A university that is striving to become world class and that has received BILLIONS in state funding to get there.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, read this: Big 12 TV partners push back on expansion

I can't take this anymore. This is far too critical a time for our state and university to sit and accept ESPN's word as Gospel. We have all seen the metrics data and it is MUCH different than what we are being told by ESPN.

Governor Dan MalloyVerified account
@GovMalloyOffice

Share Your Opinion - Connecticut's Official State Website

• Contact
Office of the Governor

State Capitol
210 Capitol Avenue
Hartford, CT 06106

Phone: 860-566-4840
Toll-Free: 800-406-1527
TDD: 860-524-7397
Fax: 860-524-7395

AG George Jepsen
@AGJepsen
attorney.general@ct.gov

ag_address_box_01.gif

55 Elm Street
Hartford, CT 06106

Telephone:
(860) 808-5318

Fax:
(860) 808-5387

Richard BlumenthalVerified account
@SenBlumenthal

Blumenthal, Richard - (D - CT) Class III
706 Hart Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510
(202) 224-2823

Chris MurphyVerified account
@ChrisMurphyCT

Murphy, Christopher - (D - CT) Class I
136 Hart Senate Office Building Washington DC 20510
(202) 224-4041

Really we want Jepsen to sue anyone...? Sorry, but Bloomingidiot did enough damage when he was AG...

Dooley

Reaction Score
Really we want Jepsen to sue anyone...? Sorry, but Bloomingidiot did enough damage when he was AG...

No lawsuits. Apply pressure (like every other state).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom