Stat from last year I'm going to keep an eye on in 2019-29 | The Boneyard

Stat from last year I'm going to keep an eye on in 2019-29

Reaction Score
Last year, we were 12th worst in the country in percentage of our opponents 2-point shot attempts that were dunks.

Just about 9% of our opponents 2s were dunks. This is unusual for Hurley coached teams, which usually hover in the 3.5-6.5% range, with a median and average of around 4.5%.

We allowed roughly double the rate of dunks last year as a typical Hurley defense. Tonight likely won't be the night to judge whether the defense has improved in this regard, but I'll be keeping on eye on this number all year.

Reaction Score
Lots of teams shot 3’s which open the lane. Would like to see more pressure so those 3 point shots are reduced. Hopefully Clog up lanes with bigger guards and more depth in the forward/center positions.

Reaction Score
Lots of teams shot 3’s which open the lane. Would like to see more pressure so those 3 point shots are reduced. Hopefully Clog up lanes with bigger guards and more depth in the forward/center positions.

Hurley's entire defense relies on reducing the number of 3 point attempts. We were 27th last year in lowest 3-point attempt rate, which is even a little low by Hurley standards (last 4 years at Rhode Island he was top 20). I'm using rank instead of raw % because there has been a definite increase in number of 3s taken by everyone.

So in the past he was able to both minimize 3s and prevent too many dunks. Last year, not so much.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Hurley's entire defense relies on reducing the number of 3 point attempts. We were 27th last year in lowest 3-point attempt rate, which is even a little low by Hurley standards (last 4 years at Rhode Island he was top 20). I'm using rank instead of raw % because there has been a definite increase in number of 3s taken by everyone.

So in the past he was able to both minimize 3s and prevent too many dunks. Last year, not so much.
Try to force the inefficient mid-range, and hope that the other team bends to your will.

Last year that only happened on the three-point line. They need to take away the paint now.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Last year, we were 12th worst in the country in percentage of our opponents 2-point shot attempts that were dunks.

Just about 9% of our opponents 2s were dunks. This is unusual for Hurley coached teams, which usually hover in the 3.5-6.5% range, with a median and average of around 4.5%.

We allowed roughly double the rate of dunks last year as a typical Hurley defense. Tonight likely won't be the night to judge whether the defense has improved in this regard, but I'll be keeping on eye on this number all year.

Hurley has said that his defense is based on guards playing pressure D and forcing bad shots/turnovers or funneling guards into the paint where the shot blockers would clean up the mess. We had the pressuring guards part down (mostly), but no shot blockers on the back end. This year we have a legitimate shot blocker in Akok, which should make a big difference.

Reaction Score
Something else worth noting: Hurley is less focused on a shot-blocker at the 5 than at the 3 and 4 from what I've seen recruiting-wise. Omoruyi and Kofi, our two biggest 5 recruits, aren't known as shot-blockers. Seems like Hurley is more concerned with prototypical size. Sid and Akok being the two best examples of athletic, shot-blocking wings. Andre's athleticism probably puts him in that category too, but I'm not really sure.

Because our bigs hedge so hard, and because teams are using a TON of 1/5 ball screens these days, it makes sense to have your wings be elite help-side shot-blockers and athletes. Teams shoot so many threes, so we have to jump over so many screens, that always leaves the threat of the layup open. Guys like Akok and Sid with the speed to get into position, and the shot-blocking to erase 2pt attempts make this ball pressure much less of a gamble.

Whether you agree with it or not, I don't think we ever saw a coherent vision for the defense with the last regime that we are now. I

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moochi278

Top Bottom