Stat Comparison: UConn-DePaul vs. DePaul-Oregon State | The Boneyard

Stat Comparison: UConn-DePaul vs. DePaul-Oregon State

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I just finished a comparison of the box scores of the UConn-DePaul game that we just watched with the 21-point Oregon State win (at home) against this same DePaul team. Here are some key stats, and I think there is an amazing degree of similarity. In the comparison below, I have bolded the only significant differences (two of them). All of the other stats were so similar that it is almost as if the same game was played against both opponents.

FG's attempted: UConn 64, DePaul 75; DePaul 83, OSU 61
FG %: UConn 54.7%, DePaul 38.7%; DePaul 36.1%, OSU 55.7%
3-pt shots: Uconn 8-20 (40%), DePaul 11-32 (34.4%); DePaul 6-34 (17.6%), OSU 12-27 (44.4%)
Rebounds: UConn 50, DePaul 28; DePaul 34, OSU 56
O-bounds: UConn 16, DePaul 14; DePaul 14, OSU 13
A/FG: UConn 21/35, DePaul 18/29; DePaul 14/30, OSU 25/34
Steals: UConn 5, DePaul 11; DePaul 12, OSU 3
Blocks: UConn 4, DePaul 1; DePaul 3, OSU 9
Fouls: UConn 12, DePaul 14 (no one with more than 3); DePaul 25, OSU 18 (2 Depaul players fouled out; 2 others with 4)
Largest lead: UConn 26, DePaul 2; DePaul 4, OSU 27
Turnovers: UConn 21, DePaul 7; DePaul 6, OSU 20

So here are some observations based on this comparison:

• Neither UConn nor Oregon State could prevent DePaul from launching many more shots. Both opponents, however, shot at a much higher percentage than the Blue Demons.
  • Despite their renowned size, the Beavers did no better on the boards against a small DePaul team than the moderately sized Huskies. Even in offensive rebounds, the stats were basically equal for DePaul and the opponents in both games.
  • Oregon State was victimized by DePaul steals even more than UConn.
  • UConn and OSU both had around 20 turnovers, while DePaul had a single-digit number of turnovers in both games.
  • The largest lead for the eventual winning team was virtually the same in both games.
The two big differences in the two games probably account for the difference in the margin of victory:
  1. DePaul shot much worse from 3-point range against OSU than against UConn. I am one of those who believes that DePaul's lack of 3-point accuracy in the first half of the UConn game was not really attributable to the UConn defense, just a spell of inaccuracy that cured itself (at home) in the second half. Without having watched the OSU game, I cannot say whether DePaul's 6-34 3-point shooting against the Beavers was the result of excellent 3-point defense or just another bout of poor shooting. But the difference in 3-point makes by DePaul (11 against UConn vs. 6 against OSU) certainly accounts for the difference in the margin of victory.
  2. DePaul was called for 25 fouls against OSU but for only 14 fouls against UConn. Is this the effect of "home cooking" by the referees in both games? (Wouldn't be the first time ...) Two DePaul players fouled out of the OSU game, and two others played with 4 fouls. I'm sure that contributed also to the margin of victory.
The overall conclusion that I draw from this comparison is that UConn and Oregon State are probably very evenly matched teams, as they should be if they are ranked #2 and #4.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Fouls: UConn 12, DePaul 14 (no one with more than 3); DePaul 25, OSU 18 (2 Depaul players fouled out; 2 others with 4)

DePaul was called for 25 fouls against OSU but for only 14 fouls against UConn. Is this the effect of "home cooking" by the referees in both games? (Wouldn't be the first time ...) Two DePaul players fouled out of the OSU game, and two others played with 4 fouls. I'm sure that contributed also to the margin of victory.

Doesn't look like home cookin' to me, looks like a difference in the way the two games were officiated. 43 total fouls vs. 26 total fouls is significant.

Reaction Score
I just finished a comparison of the box scores of the UConn-DePaul game that we just watched with the 21-point Oregon State win (at home) against this same DePaul team. Here are some key stats, and I think there is an amazing degree of similarity. In the comparison below, I have bolded the only significant differences (two of them). All of the other stats were so similar that it is almost as if the same game was played against both opponents.

3-pt shots: Uconn 8-20 (40%), DePaul 11-32 (34.4%); DePaul 6-34 (17.6%), OSU 12-27 (44.4%)
A/FGA: UConn 21/35, DePaul 18/29; DePaul 14/30, OSU 25/34

• Neither UConn nor Oregon State could prevent DePaul from launching many more shots. Both opponents, however, shot at a much higher percentage than the Blue Demons.
  • Despite their renowned size, the Beavers did no better on the boards against a small DePaul team than the moderately sized Huskies. Even in offensive rebounds, the stats were basically equal for DePaul and the opponents in both games.
  • UConn and OSU both had around 20 turnovers, while DePaul had a single-digit number of turnovers in both games.
  • The largest lead for the eventual winning team was virtually the same in both games.
The two big differences in the two games probably account for the difference in the margin of victory:
  1. DePaul shot much worse from 3-point range against OSU than against UConn. I am one of those who believes that DePaul's lack of 3-point accuracy in the first half of the UConn game was not really attributable to the UConn defense, just a spell of inaccuracy that cured itself (at home) in the second half. Without having watched the OSU game, I cannot say whether DePaul's 6-34 3-point shooting against the Beavers was the result of excellent 3-point defense or just another bout of poor shooting. But the difference in 3-point makes by DePaul (11 against UConn vs. 6 against OSU) certainly accounts for the difference in the margin of victory.
  2. DePaul was called for 25 fouls against OSU but for only 14 fouls against UConn. Is this the effect of "home cooking" by the referees in both games? (Wouldn't be the first time ...) Two DePaul players fouled out of the OSU game, and two others played with 4 fouls. I'm sure that contributed also to the margin of victory.
The overall conclusion that I draw from this comparison is that UConn and Oregon State are probably very evenly matched teams, as they should be if they are ranked #2 and #4.

UConn played at DePaul. OSU was home.

Reaction Score
OSU and UConn are probably in the same ranking range. In each Boneyard Poll I have submitted to @Plebe , I've ranked OSU & UConn very close together, but have not had either ranked in the top 5.

Reaction Score
OSU and UConn are probably in the same ranking range. In each Boneyard Poll I have submitted to @Plebe , I've ranked OSU & UConn very close together, but have not had either ranked in the top 5.
You may want to reconsider. Massey has UConn rated first and OSU seventh. Stats rarely lie, if ever.

Reaction Score
Lies, d@mned lies, and statistics...
Well, UConn’s SOS is now rated first, while the teams rated 2-5 are opponents who have lost to UConn. Which of your three categories does this fall under?

Reaction Score

A/FG: UConn 21/35, DePaul 18/29; DePaul 14/30, OSU 25/34

Your analysis is sound. I attended the Oregon State-DePaul game last month. I was surprised that DePaul kept jacking up threes despite the fact that the Beavers were guarding out to the three-point line. After watching the DePaul games against ND and UConn, it is apparent that DePaul will not change its spots and adjust if its three-point shooting is off. DePaul believes that eventually its shots will go in. They didn't go in frequently enough against Oregon State, so DePaul was routed by 21 and it would have been worse if the Oregon State bench had not been deployed earlier.

Both UConn and Oregon State killed DePaul on the boards. The size advantage for both higher-ranked teams made a difference.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom