Starting QB poll | The Boneyard

Starting QB poll

Who will be named the 'starting' QB on Monday?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Don't think this was done recently. If so apologize.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I chose Whitmer - just have a feeling - obviously haven't attending a practice. Just think he is going to give the senior every opportunity to win job. I could be wrong - I am often wrong according to my wife.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I went Casey. 3 wins at the end of last season earned him a chance.

Reaction Score
Casey.....has experience, bought in & dropped the weight, has the intangibles and showed he can protect the ball and win!

Reaction Score
The bigger news is who isn't playing vs BYU. This is like an elimination round of American QB Idol.

The good news if Boyle is odd man out is he can hopefully redshirt and use the extra year to develop, plus in future years our offensive line is going to be the strength of the team which will give Boyle time to chuck the ball downfield without getting clobbered. Right now our offensive line is built for the short game.

Reaction Score
I think Cochran proved he can move the ball without making turnover mistakes. If all 3 were fairly even through camp, then he should get the chance to start the season. He got my vote.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
The "smart" bet here is probably Cochran OR Whitmer as the depth chart entry, with Boyle 3rd.

My gut tells me Whitmer starts, but I would personally prefer Cochran. I also wonder if the progress of the OL might dictate this as much as QB play - Cochran was clearly better under duress.

Reaction Score
I'm betting Cochran will start. Too many turnovers for Whitmer. Protecting the ball is Diaco's priority.

Reaction Score
Thanks OP Bonehead for the poll. Based on a small sample of about 100 votes, it looks like CC is the starter with Whitmer as the 2nd quarterback. We will see what BD choice soon.

Reaction Score
I'm honestly curious why people think Whitmer will be named starter?
I think his performance under PPGDL is not indicative of what he's capable of. I think he's more athletic and I think the staff wants to move the pocket, and may also have some designed QB runs which he's better at, so I picked Whitmer.

But the only thing that would surprise me is if Boyle was named starter. I could have flipped a coin for Whitmer or Cochran. I'm comfortable with either of them starting because "none of the three will prevent us from winning".

Reaction Score
I say Cochran. I could imagine a scenario where Whitmer starts somewhere along the line of wing's. I think he has some talent and with a decent line and a real offensive game plan he might be fine. I do have questions about his judgement, though. I can't even conceive a situation where Boyle beats those two out. He was so terrible last year that it would require major improvement just to be bad. I know that's harsh, but his quarterback rating was 71.6, and was the lowest among quarterbacks having 100 attempts or more and the next guy wasn't close. Had 8 interceptions with no touchdowns. No quarterback with 8 INTs had 0 touchdowns. The idea that somehow he has suddenly become this gunslinger of a quarterback is beyond wishful thinking in my book. 18 sacks. While the line wasn't great, 18 in 5 games is just incredible. And if he is the starter, I have to say I'll be a lot more skeptical about Diaco than I have been to date. I'd also hope the quarterback has a short leash.

Reaction Score
I think his performance under PPGDL is not indicative of what he's capable of. I think he's more athletic and I think the staff wants to move the pocket, and may also have some designed QB runs which he's better at, so I picked Whitmer.

But the only thing that would surprise me is if Boyle was named starter. I could have flipped a coin for Whitmer or Cochran. I'm comfortable with either of them starting because "none of the three will prevent us from winning".

That's a reasonable stance. The one big giant hairy flag with Whitmer is the turnovers. I can't pin all of that on the previous clowns.

Reaction Score
That's a reasonable stance. The one big giant hairy flag with Whitmer is the turnovers. I can't pin all of that on the previous clowns.

Which team was near or at the bottom of the list in sacks given up in FBS football during the last 3 years?

I think he can cut back on the TOs if he's given more time. He wants to make plays, and move the chains, so he's more aggressive. He also spent a ton of time on his back thanks to the absence of even average pass protection. I do agree Cochran is more secure with the ball, but I think Whitmer offers the dynamic of the running threat.

Reaction Score
NHRJimFuller 6:42pm via TweetDeck
Casey Cochran will be #UConn's starting quarterback

JohnFSilver 6:42pm via Twitter Web Client
Bob Diaco wants to redshirt Tim Boyle if possible. If at possible, he will sit out.

jacobscourant 6:44pm via Twitter Web Client
Chandler Whitmer is still a "better" player right now. Cochran edged Whitmer in leadership. Difference was negligible, according to Diaco.

EdDaigneault 6:44pm via TweetDeck
Whitmer will come in and run his packages. Cochran had the slight edge in leadership, Whitmer ahead in physical tools.

Kendavis55 6:49pm via Twitter Web Client
Whitmer: "I was happy with whatever I got. I've grown as a man. Quarterback situation is set here for a while."

NHRJimFuller 6:57pm via TweetDeck
Bob Diaco said QB reps between Cochran and Whitmer will be closer to 51/49 percent breakdown than 85/15

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek