Starting lineup for Arkansas game | The Boneyard

Starting lineup for Arkansas game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hey fellow boneyarders longtime follower and recent member. Concerning the upcoming game against Arkansas, I think we need to have a three guard set as this will be our most effective lineup. Boatright should start at the 1. Calhoun proboably wont because he likes to have that spark off the bench for the second unit, but nonetheless I think Boat should start. Boatright's quickness, vision, penetration, athleticism, and big time shot making in a freshman is almost unheard of for a point guard. He is a great talent. This will allow Shabazz to play the 2 his more natural and preferred position. Shabazz is a great shooter and scorer, but does not have the quickness, athleticism to play the point effectively, and is turnover prone. I would like to see Shabazz play off the ball. Lamb of course will be the third guard, and we all know what Lamb can do, but I would like to see him be more aggressive. Andre Drummond of course will anchor us at center, and he is showing what a beast he will be for us this year. He has limitless potential, and he will be a force like no other big men in the country. The 4 spot is the most troubling concerning Oriakhi's poor play, and his immaturity by going to twitter on 2 occasions. He is playing way too soft, and his hands are awful as usual. He has not made any progression offensively or defensively. His left handed hook is awful, and is almost always a guaranteed miss. Olander has shown the most progress out of any of the starters last year but he did have an awful game against FSU. I like his hustle and he does have a good stroke on the jumper. I love Roscoe for his rebounding, and defense, as he is the best defender on this team. He needs to work harder and improve offensively. Roscoe and Olander are our two best options at the 4 right now until Oriakhi can prove he can handle competition. Daniels for now is a good spot up shooter but is lacking the lateral quickness to defend smaller guys on the perimeter. He is a liability on defense, and hasn't really shown he can drive to the basket yet. I expect him to improve as the year goes along.

Starting Lineup: Boatright, Shabazz, Lamb, Roscoe, Drummond
Bench: Olander, Daniels, Oriakhi, Giffey

Reaction Score
Shabazz is a great shooter and scorer, but does not have the quickness, athleticism to play the point effectively, and is turnover prone.

Can we stop with this nonsense? Through seven games, Napier is averaging 18 points, 6 assists, 5 rebounds, and 2 steals per game (while shooting nearly 50%) at the point guard position. Yes, he turns it over a bit too much, but how can anybody possibly claim that he hasn't "played the point effectively?"

He was atrocious against Central Florida. He basically carried the team on his back in the other 6 games.

And regarding the actual intended topic of this thread - if Kemba coming off the bench worked in 2009, and Napier coming off the bench worked in 2011, there is very little chance that Calhoun is going to start Boatright this year.

Reaction Score
Welcome. The only thing I disagree with is I think AO should start at the 4 IMO. AO is only averaging 18 mpg, much below his 30 mpg last year. Although TO has improved, he his limited and struggles against bigger lineups. Roscoe is a great asset defensively, but offensively he struggles. He hangs around the permiter too much and his shot just looks way off. For this team to meet our expectations this year AO needs to be playing more than 18 mpg and teamed up with AD to create the intimidating frount court that we all raved about this off-season.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
The only criticism I have for Napier thus far is trying to do too much himself in late game situations. This early in the season the offensive sets are far from crisp, but that said I'd rather him turn it over running a set until the shot clock expires than see him dribble it for the last 15 seconds hoping to get a bailout call. I've seen him try the "Kemba pump-fake, step into defender" move one too many times already.

Reaction Score
we always start big.

Agreed. Shabazz/Lamb will start and Boatright will come off the bench to give either Shabazz/Lamb some rest 10 mins into the game.

I think we'll see the 3G lineup once JC has a chance to size up the Arkansas defense.

Reaction Score
I think its good to have a spark coming off the bench in Boatright. Line up should stay the same.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
i totally agree AO needs to be playing more, but he needs to be playing more as a result of playing better. his numbers are weak, and he's not contributing much when he's in there. i'm not sure if he's struggling having a guy like AD on the court with him or what the deal is.

starters should be Shabazz, Jeremy, Deandre, Tyler and Andre. unless roscoe or niels show signs of being more affective than DD. i've seen flashes from DD but not consistency. he's only a freshman. he needs time. but i wouldn't be surprised to see him come off the bench either if the older guys play better...

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
This will allow Shabazz to play the 2 his more natural and preferred position.

Really?!!?!

Also disagree on Daniels being a defensive liability ... the kid has shown some flashes of great defense.

BlueDolphin

Playful Mammal
Reaction Score
Who started this notion that Napier is lacking in quickness and athleticism? I've seen this contention on several posts. Have these people been watching the same guy I've been watching for the past two seasons?

Reaction Score
AD,TO,SN,JL,DD. THIS ALPHABET SOUP WILL TASTE SOUR TO THE RAZORBACKS. MY THOUGHTS; BOAT COMES OFF THE BENCH TO BEGIN THE SPARK, AO SPELLS TO AS NEEDED, RS GIF IN AND OUT AS NEEDED. AO WILL COME ON AS WE PROGRESS THROUGH THE SIGHTSEEING PHASE OF THE SEASON. 3G'S IS NICE, BUT WE HAVE SO MANY INTERCHANGEABLE PARTS THAT GETTING THERE WILL TAKE A LITTLE TIME.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
AD,TO,SN,JL,DD. THIS ALPHABET SOUP WILL TASTE SOUR TO THE RAZORBACKS. MY THOUGHTS; BOAT COMES OFF THE BENCH TO BEGIN THE SPARK, AO SPELLS TO AS NEEDED, RS GIF IN AND OUT AS NEEDED. AO WILL COME ON AS WE PROGRESS THROUGH THE SIGHTSEEING PHASE OF THE SEASON. 3G'S IS NICE, BUT WE HAVE SO MANY INTERCHANGEABLE PARTS THAT GETTING THERE WILL TAKE A LITTLE TIME.

Your Caps Lock key continues to be stuck, Sparky. It's right underneath the Tab key on the left hand side of the keyboard.

Reaction Score
Who started this notion that Napier is lacking in quickness and athleticism? I've seen this contention on several posts. Have these people been watching the same guy I've been watching for the past two seasons?

BlueDolphin its very clear watching Napier play that he doesn't have good athleticism and doesn't have blow by speed. There is no comparison when it comes to Boatright's speed and athleticism. Shabazz is a great shooter, scorer, and understands the game well, but his lack of agility will be a liability against the zone as was seen against UCF. Boatright is what Kemba was to that 2009 final four team. A guy who can wreak havoc on defenses, penetrate at will, and make big shots. Shabazz is crucial to this team's success, and he himself acknowledges that Boatright on the floor is the best thing for him and the team's success.

Reaction Score
bazz lamb roscoe/daniels ao dummond

+1 on that lineup. Or we could go the Olander route as last year, with either AD or AO coming in at the 1st tv timeout.

I think it would be nice to see what AO can do without getting the instant hook.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
id like to see ao start at the four for one game and see how he does if his head is right... other then that the only question is daniels over roscoe or vice versa... bazz, lamb and drummond are lock to start(drummond as of now)

Reaction Score
Hey fellow boneyarders longtime follower and recent member. Concerning the upcoming game against Arkansas, I think we need to have a three guard set as this will be our most effective lineup. Boatright should start at the 1. Calhoun proboably wont because he likes to have that spark off the bench for the second unit, but nonetheless I think Boat should start. Boatright's quickness, vision, penetration, athleticism, and big time shot making in a freshman is almost unheard of for a point guard. He is a great talent. This will allow Shabazz to play the 2 his more natural and preferred position. Shabazz is a great shooter and scorer, but does not have the quickness, athleticism to play the point effectively, and is turnover prone. I would like to see Shabazz play off the ball. Lamb of course will be the third guard, and we all know what Lamb can do, but I would like to see him be more aggressive. Andre Drummond of course will anchor us at center, and he is showing what a beast he will be for us this year. He has limitless potential, and he will be a force like no other big men in the country. The 4 spot is the most troubling concerning Oriakhi's poor play, and his immaturity by going to twitter on 2 occasions. He is playing way too soft, and his hands are awful as usual. He has not made any progression offensively or defensively. His left handed hook is awful, and is almost always a guaranteed miss. Olander has shown the most progress out of any of the starters last year but he did have an awful game against FSU. I like his hustle and he does have a good stroke on the jumper. I love Roscoe for his rebounding, and defense, as he is the best defender on this team. He needs to work harder and improve offensively. Roscoe and Olander are our two best options at the 4 right now until Oriakhi can prove he can handle competition. Daniels for now is a good spot up shooter but is lacking the lateral quickness to defend smaller guys on the perimeter. He is a liability on defense, and hasn't really shown he can drive to the basket yet. I expect him to improve as the year goes along.

Starting Lineup: Boatright, Shabazz, Lamb, Roscoe, Drummond
Bench: Olander, Daniels, Oriakhi, Giffey
I think this will be our most effective lineup as well. AD dominating down low. Roscoe to play tough D, grabbin boards, but can also flash and pass, dribble a little out of the high post. And obviously our guards doing their thing, doninating, driving, draining threes, making things happen etc. Its tough because I love DD, and Alex can be very effective as well, and obv Olander has improved greatly. But I think this lineup is unstoppable.

Reaction Score
Is Kendall Marshall good enough to play point guard? Napier is 10 times the athlete that Marshall is.

kendall marshall has size at 6'4 and actually plays like a true pass first point guard. Shabazz is a 6ft point guard who isn't athletic either or has break down speed. I think we can safely say Boatright is 10 times the athletes that Marshall and Shabazz are or . Shabazz will be crucial for UCONN because he is a gamer, is a great shooter, and makes big shots. Napier does have limitations athletically no?

Reaction Score
kendall marshall has size at 6'4 and actually plays like a true pass first point guard. Shabazz is a 6ft point guard who isn't athletic either or has break down speed. I think we can safely say Boatright is 10 times the athletes that Marshall and Shabazz are or . Shabazz will be crucial for UCONN because he is a gamer, is a great shooter, and makes big shots. Napier does have limitations athletically no?

When compared to a freak like Boatright, sure Napier has limitations athletically. But can you really tell me that you've watched Napier play this year and thought "man, if only he was more athletic he would have made that play?" Napier is occassionally frustating because he'll turn it over or take a bad shot once in awhile - that's due to poor decision making, not poor athleticism. And again, the guy has averaged 18, 6, and 5 thus far - unathletic six footers don't do that in Division 1 basketball.

And by the way, Boatright is no more of a "pass-first" point guard than Shabazz is.

Reaction Score

Welcome to the board, Mrs. Boatright. But, honestly, the idea that Napier has "limitations athletically" or isn't a "true pass first point guard" are just so ridiculous that it's difficult to pay much attention to you.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
BlueDolphin its very clear watching Napier play that he doesn't have good athleticism and doesn't have blow by speed. There is no comparison when it comes to Boatright's speed and athleticism. Shabazz is a great shooter, scorer, and understands the game well, but his lack of agility will be a liability against the zone as was seen against UCF. Boatright is what Kemba was to that 2009 final four team. A guy who can wreak havoc on defenses, penetrate at will, and make big shots. Shabazz is crucial to this team's success, and he himself acknowledges that Boatright on the floor is the best thing for him and the team's success.
Welcome to the board. I would say it is clear to you that Shabazz doesn't have blow by speed, which is different than saying Shabazz doesn't have blow by speed. There are several posters, including myself, who see something differently. Not that we are right and you are wrong. It's just proven by the difference of opinion in this thread this point is far from clear.

Shabazz definitely merits starting as a point guard. I expect to see many situations in which RB is the point guard. In addition there will be situations in which there will be a three guards in the line up. I'm just not sure that JC will start many games with this arrangement. I expect that in close games the three guards will be in at the end of games. And that will be interesting because JC will have to determine which of the three he wants to take the final shot. Last year there was no doubt it was Kemba. He proved himself over and over he was clutch.

This season it has yet to be determined. A case can be made for all three. I agree with Mr. Wonderful, that SN may be trying to be like Kemba and be the hero in late game situations. He would be better served to flow with the game than try to create that scenario.

Reaction Score
Boatright has played 1 game against guys bigger and slower than kendall marshall and he ran circles around them. Lets just watch and see what happens against quicker guards before we make him the starting pg and give bazz the oriakhi treatment :)

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Welcome to the board, Mrs. Boatright. But, honestly, the idea that Napier has "limitations athletically" or isn't a "true pass first point guard" are just so ridiculous that it's difficult to pay much attention to you.
shabazz said he wants to pass first but right now needs to score

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34