Starting 5 in November 2012? | The Boneyard

Starting 5 in November 2012?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After watching the game last night (some, not all). I couldn't help but start to thinking about which 5 players might be on the floor for UConn's 11th game next year?

And, what the heck. We don't play again until Dec. 29th.

In my day dream, this would be our best line-up:

(Kelly made part of this dream more of a nightmare. I had to put her on the bench.)

Anyway, it is what it is. Here we go:

MJ at the point. (By the 11th game there will be no doubt that Moriah is our best PG.)

BH at the 2 spot. (There is almost universival agreement that Bria is our 2nd best scorer.)

KML at the 3 spot. (It is generally accepted that KML is our best scorer.)

BS at the 4 spot. (If Breanna is as good as advertised [can do it all], she is a lock for starting.)

MT at the 5 spot. (If Morgan is as good as advertised [athletic and can jump], she will start.)

Actually, I feel that four of these positions are a lock.

The only possible exception would be the 5 spot. It is entirely possible that Stef will get it together soon and make all of us very happy.

Oh, you will probably notice that in my day dream, 3 of the starting 5 are forwards.

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
Um, Tuck will not start over a junior Dolson, and Jefferson will not start over seniors Faris/Doty. I do think Stewart will start, but I'm far from confident with that prediction.

Geno tries to avoid starting freshmen if he can help it, and considering this team returns all but one player next year, he will definitely be able to help it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Tiffany graduates, and Kaleena replaces her. I think it's that simple.

Breanna is the first off the bench, or maybe Geno does a hockey line switch and brings in Breanna, Morgan, Kiah, Brianna, and Moriah and just runs the other team into the ground.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
It's going to be Caroline, Bria, KML, Kelly, and Stef, with Breanna playing starter's minutes assuming she's as college-ready as she appears to be.

Tuck, MoJeff, Kiah, Breanna, and Buck will have roles. What those roles are will depend largely on how they progress. I am of the personal opinion that, barring injury, Moriah will be brought along a bit slowly. Freshman PGs are not reliable, no matter how talented they are. Bria plays a lot of point even this year and will continue to do so. In 2013-14, I bet the starters will be Moriah, Bria, KML, Breanna, and Stef.

Reaction Score
It'll be CD, BH, KF, KML, SD. It's really a pretty easy call.
Normally I would think so, but two things make me think Stewart has a real shot at starting:
1. Geno said she's as good a recruit as he's ever gotten, even comparing her to Kevin Garnett. Sure, there could have been some exaggeration there, but he's not one to just hand out such compliments.
2. That starting lineup would mean Stewart, Tuck, Stokes, and Buck would all be coming off the bench, whereas starting Stewart would give the starting lineup and bench far greater balance.

Definitely not a no brainer.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If you look at the high school #1s Geno has brought in:

Sales
Ralph
Williams
Taurasi
Strother
Charles
Moore
KML

Most of them began their college careers as bench players, and those who didn't started as a result of necessity (i.e., injuries or the team just wanted that deep). No matter how good Breanna is, I doubt Geno's going to start her on a stacked team. However, I do expect she'll play as many minutes as the starters, much like KML does this year.

Reaction Score
November, 2012....Positition.............January, 2013
Doty.............................Point Guard...............Hartley
Hartley........................Shooting Guard..........Mosqueda-Lewis
Mosqueda-Lewis........Small Forward............Faris
Faris............................Power Forward...........Stewart
Dolson.........................Center.........................Dolson

STARTERS
POINT GUARD: Hartley will move to the point. Doty's knee will have slowed her too much. After January 1, 2013 she will see some minutes at point and shooting guard but they will be limited.
SHOOTING GUARD: Mosqueda-Lewis will be the shooting guard.
SMALL FORWARD: Faris moves to small forward.
POWER FORWARD: After January 1, 2013 Stewart claims power forward position if not sooner. Geno will be relieved to finally have a tall lineup.
CENTER: It will be Dolson.

PRIMARY SUBS:
Jefferson will backup Hartley. She will play 15-20 minutes per game after January 1, 2013. Hartley and Banks (hopefully) will spell Mosqueda-Lewis when she needs a rest. If it is Hartley, then Jefferson will be at point guard. Whenever "Iron Woman" Faris needs a rest then either Mosqueda-Lewis or Stokes (hopefully) would move to small forward. If Stwart needs a rest then Faris or Stokes (hopefully) would move to power forward. Dolson can be replaced with Buck or Stokes (hopefully). I think Stewart stays at power forward unless Dolson and/or Stokes craters. Then and only then will she factor into the center position. Tuck, "Super Sub," will sub at small and power forwards and shooting guard. I think after January 1, 2013 Tuck will see 15+ minutes per game. Doty will sub at the point and shooting guard positions. I don't see Johnson and Engeln playing many minutes.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think Alex is very right. I, also, think the reason for Caroline starting continues, once warmed up it is best for her to go directly into the game for each half. I do expect her minutes to be more reduced because of the depth of talent and sharing more responsibilities. If this is to change for any reason Geno and staff will discuss it with her during exit interviews after this year's season.

Reaction Score
After watching the game last night (some, not all). I couldn't help but start to thinking about which 5 players might be on the floor for UConn's 11th game next year?

And, what the heck. We don't play again until Dec. 29th.

In my day dream, this would be our best line-up:

(Kelly made part of this dream more of a nightmare. I had to put her on the bench.)

Anyway, it is what it is. Here we go:

MJ at the point. (By the 11th game there will be no doubt that Moriah is our best PG.)

BH at the 2 spot. (There is almost universival agreement that Bria is our 2nd best scorer.)

KML at the 3 spot. (It is generally accepted that KML is our best scorer.)

BS at the 4 spot. (If Breanna is as good as advertised [can do it all], she is a lock for starting.)

MT at the 5 spot. (If Morgan is as good as advertised [athletic and can jump], she will start.)

Actually, I feel that four of these positions are a lock.

The only possible exception would be the 5 spot. It is entirely possible that Stef will get it together soon and make all of us very happy.

Oh, you will probably notice that in my day dream, 3 of the starting 5 are forwards.

Peace,

John Fryer
I agree with all but Tuck for Dolson, but it is possible especially if we have lost a game or two. Many have said that Geno will still go with his upper classmen and if we are undefeated at the 11 game mark he probably will. But I think if we don't win the NC this year and we have some losses with the veterans he will be really hungry for it and play the best player regardless of tenure.
So the actual starting lineup will depend on our record with the veterans starting.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Wow alot of ideas of who you think you should start but Geno dosnt operate that way. The freshman have proven nothing. Again I will repeat myself. The reason UConn is UConn and what makes UConn go is team chemistry, continuity, and earning playtime in practice. The freshman have alot to learn.

With Tiff graduating the only starting position that is opening is hers . I think KML has the lead for that spot right now. Will next years class get alot of playtime? Yes as much playtime as they earn in practice. Will our current players our non starters receive alot of playtime next season.. yes what they earn in practice.

The reason a team like TN has not played to their potentical IMO over the past 4 seasons and they are still a very good talented team is because they have not had a point guard with experience to lead them. Now Ariel has the talent but is only a freshman and TN has alot of experienced players but no leader at the point and thats why their they havent made the FF or meshed as a team showing their true potentical. The other night againest Stanford TN shot over 60% in the first half and trailed???

So IMO as good and talented as next years class is they wont start at least right away and if they practice hard they will see alot of playtime.

Reaction Score
Breanna Stewart is going to get starter minutes whether she starts or not. You can not keep someone with that kind of talent on the bench very long.

Reaction Score
Doty, Hartley, Faris, KML, Dolson no doubt.

Geno is never ever going to start a frosh over a productive senior. Never. Ever.
He is too concerned with player morale, leadership, and chemistry.

Stewart, Jefferson, & Tuck will get plenty of minutes, but off the bench.
Banks, Stokes, & Buck will need to step up big time to earn major minutes.

Reaction Score
Wow alot of ideas of who you think you should start but Geno dosnt operate that way. The freshman have proven nothing. Again I will repeat myself. The reason UConn is UConn and what makes UConn go is team chemistry, continuity, and earning playtime in practice. The freshman have alot to learn.

+100000000

Reaction Score
Exactly, fans get too wrapped up in starting talent. Doty's going to play around twenty minutes a game, whether she starts or not. It's better for her knee to start. She'll be a senior. It's obvious Geno will start her. KML will be the only returning player not starting, that has earned the right to start. So she'll start. Kelly, Dolson, and Bria will obviously start.

Now, Hartley, KML, Kelly, Stewart, Dolson will probably be our crunch time lineup.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
It remains to be seen whether Buck or Stokes is primary back-up. Heather just may be our most effective defender at the 5, and with so many scoring options, her offensive liabilities may not hurt. Kiah, a freshman, hasn't yet let us see her future value in the way Kaleena has.

Reaction Score
Exactly, fans get too wrapped up in starting talent. Doty's going to play around twenty minutes a game, whether she starts or not. It's better for her knee to start. She'll be a senior. It's obvious Geno will start her. KML will be the only returning player not starting, that has earned the right to start. So she'll start. Kelly, Dolson, and Bria will obviously start.

Now, Hartley, KML, Kelly, Stewart, Dolson will probably be our crunch time lineup.
Your crunch time lineup looks good. With appropriate matchups against certain teams, Dolson might be replaced with Tuck.

Reaction Score
It remains to be seen whether Buck or Stokes is primary back-up.

Who says it will be one of them? With the exception of facing Griner, few cases where we need a really big body. Assuming Stewart is as good as advertised, I think she is as likely a candidate as anyone.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Ok...pet peave time.

THe OP says "In my day dream, this would be our best line-up" and the very next post and most of the following posts are about what they feel will actually happen.

Ok...I'm a little nuts.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Who starts will be of little importance. Keeping a core of 10 players plus Buck, Englen, and Johnson happy will be Geno's biggest challenge
Geno is under no obligation to keep anyone happy. (Samarie? Not happy here? Goodbye, kid. Elena, it was nice to meet you. Good luck.) His mission is to win. The way he wins is to recruit players who are skilled, then play the players who earn playing time by demonstrating a combination of motivation and skill, especially motivation. The exit door is always unlocked and open.

Happiness comes when nets are cut down.

Reaction Score
Your crunch time lineup looks good. With appropriate matchups against certain teams, Dolson might be replaced with Tuck.

Have to agree, Morgan Tuck has a world of potential and could be very valuable in certain matchups.

Reaction Score
Ok...pet peave time.

THe OP says "In my day dream, this would be our best line-up" and the very next post and most of the following posts are about what they feel will actually happen.

Ok...I'm a little nuts.

The "best" lineup in my day dream and the one I think will get the most minutes
by the middle of the year(not necessarily starter"s minutes) are Bria and Kelly at the guards, Stewart at the wing, Tuck at the power forward and Stef at center.

I think most of you are underestimating Tuck who will be an outstanding power forward.

Reaction Score
Who starts will be of little importance. Keeping a core of 10 players plus Buck, Englen, and Johnson happy will be Geno's biggest challenge
I don't believe Geno is worried about keeping all the players happy. I believe he is most worried about properly utilizing all the players who give maximum, effective, and consistent effort in practice.

Reaction Score
So IMO as good and talented as next years class is they wont start at least right away and if they practice hard they will see alot of playtime.
None of the freshman will start immediately. However, I believe by January 1, 2013 or earlier Stewart will start because what this team needs is height, effect height with solid shot blocking defense, rebounding, and an interior scoring threat to help Dolson become more effective. Only a wind-whistling-through-the-ears defender would leave Stewart to double Dolson. Stef can pass effectively. Faris moves to small forward or shooting guard. Faris is far more effrective than Doty. Doty plays fewer minutes. Hartley, an effective slasher and shooter, and Mosqueda-Lewis, effective shooter with 6' height to gun over shorter guards, are the starting guards. I actually have no problem if Mosqueda-Lewis stays at small forward and Faris is the shooting guard. Effectively she will be the best at making passes for easy baskets and assists. The way Geno uses the point guard Faris could be effectively the point guard. She did play the position in high school. When Geno has a NEED he starts freshmen who practice with a fervor. The Dr. Phillips coach said hStewart's biggest fault is she goes to hard all of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom