Stars @ Storm- 8/18/17 | The Boneyard

Stars @ Storm- 8/18/17

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
What a great game. Both teams went tooth and nail. Plum almost tied the game to force overtime with < 2 seconds left but her foot just barely touched the line. Super clutch. She is for real. McBride was incredible as well and just would not miss from 3 down the stretch. Unfortunately MoJeff did not play (resting injuries I imagine).

On the Storm side, Stewie finally took ownership of a game by the throat and realized that she should be a top defender as well as a bully down low. She finally looked like she did in her UConn days. :D

The pressing trapping defense of the new coach suits her.

Reaction Score
Seems as though the coaching change is making a positive effect right from the get-go. Not surprised that Boucek was bounced. She just had too much talent at her disposal to be a chronically losing team.

Seems as though the players agreed.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I am not sure. I think it may be a decision to keep her out due to her nagging injuries since they are out of playoff contention. I think when SA was playing terribly and Plum was not WNBA level, they needed to play MJ more than was prudent just to have a chance at respectability. Now that they are playing quite well with Isabelle Harrision, McBride, Montgomery, Cambey and Plum, they can rest MJ (or shut her down?) and still be competitive? Maybe they play her at home in front of the fans only?

They should be tough next year with a top pick and a healthy MJ who I imagine will not go overseas this off-season?

Reaction Score
Plum now has ten double-digit scoring games in her last fifteen. Looks as though she's finding her pro footing.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Plum now has ten double-digit scoring games in her last fifteen. Looks as though she's finding her pro footing.

In terms of cleverness and shiftiness, she reminds me alot of Sue Bird / Vandersloot. She is not fast but she is strong and confident and her 3pt shooting is getting on track. She still turns the ball over too much (6TO last night).

Reaction Score
That was a pretty dramatic ending with the toe on the line. It looked like she tied it, but no.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Plum has become a respectable player. I think she'll be fine in time, though how she meshes with Mo will be interesting.

San Antonio is playing MUCH better now. KMac was unstoppable for a while, as was Hamby.

Seattle was down 11 with 6 minutes to go and, 2 minutes later, grabbed the lead. Sue hit a key three and got a steal and layup. Stewie is looking like a 1st team All-WNBA player again. She's blocking shots, grabbing boards, bringing the ball up court, scoring inside, and hitting threes.

Reaction Score
I am not sure. I think it may be a decision to keep her out due to her nagging injuries since they are out of playoff contention. I think when SA was playing terribly and Plum was not WNBA level, they needed to play MJ more than was prudent just to have a chance at respectability. Now that they are playing quite well with Isabelle Harrision, McBride, Montgomery, Cambey and Plum, they can rest MJ (or shut her down?) and still be competitive? Maybe they play her at home in front of the fans only?

They should be tough next year with a top pick and a healthy MJ who I imagine will not go overseas this off-season?

Any chance they move Jefferson if they can get enough value?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Any chance they move Jefferson if they can get enough value?
Anything is possible. I think they tried to shop the #1 pick but didn't get enough in return. In my view, Moriah is the best player on the team and the one to build around, but she needs to be healthy first. I don't think they look to trade Moriah at all. They traded DRob when they drafted Mo. most teams in the league would just love to have Moriah running the point.

Reaction Score
Anything is possible. I think they tried to shop the #1 pick but didn't get enough in return. In my view, Moriah is the best player on the team and the one to build around, but she needs to be healthy first. I don't think they look to trade Moriah at all. They traded DRob when they drafted Mo. most teams in the league would just love to have Moriah running the point.

They don't seem to want to play small ball (with McBride at SF) and they don't really want to play either Plum or Jefferson off the bench either. They are super vulnerable on defense playing small ball, so it's a dilemma

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
They don't seem to want to play small ball (with McBride at SF) and they don't really want to play either Plum or Jefferson off the bench either. They are super vulnerable on defense playing small ball, so it's a dilemma
They have a new GM in Ruth Riley and a new coach in Vicki. I'm not sure about their capability. It's too early to say. Ruth certainly is an intelligent person, though.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom