Star Tribune Article about Maya | The Boneyard

Star Tribune Article about Maya

Reaction Score
What a great tribute to one of the sport's all-time best.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Maya’s numbers were down the past 2 years, because the offense revolves around Sylvia. But when the game is on the line, Maya will grab a rebound, make a steal, drain a three-pointer, or swish a runner from the foul line.

She is the epitome of what Geno said at the clinic in Arkansas—players have to be a combination of selfish and selfless. Maya meshes her individual greatness in a team concept.

Reaction Score
Maya doesn't look the same. She is easily still one of the top 5 players in the game right now. However, she is past her prime. Last 4 seasons scoring averages: 23.5, 20.9, 19.3, 17.7 (by memory so in the ball park)
She averaged two more minutes a game this year over last year. Her shooting percentage is declining. But more than anything she just plays older now just like Simone and Lindsey. Maya will be great for several more years just never as great as she was. She's actually HUMAN.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maya doesn't look the same. She is easily still one of the top 5 players in the game right now. However, she is past her prime. Last 4 seasons scoring averages: 23.5, 20.9, 19.3, 17.7 (by memory so in the ball park)
She averaged two more minutes a game this year over last year. Her shooting percentage is declining. But more than anything the eye test. She just plays older now just like Simone and Lindsey. They need some youth on that team fast. Jones the late first rounder draft choice out of Baylor could turn out to be a good pick up. Maya is not as quick as she used to be and the game is looking harder to play for her. She's actually HUMAN.

I disagree with all of this!!

Reaction Score
Of course you do. This is outright heresy on this board. She is still the great Maya Moore just not as great.

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Really great piece, thanks for sharing.

A little early to be speaking of decline, methinks
Give it 5 or 6 years.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She averaged two more minutes a game this year over last year. Her shooting percentage is declining. But more than anything she just plays older now just like Simone and Lindsey. Maya will be great for several more years just never as great as she was. She's actually HUMAN.
I think much of the scoring decline is due to the focus on Sylvia. Her shooting percentages seem to bounce around a bit each year. I did see some play where her energy seemed down, but I don’t see it as a trend. My guess is fatigue or minor injury.

Reaction Score
Of course you do. This is outright heresy on this board. She is still the great Maya Moore just not as great.

You obviously equate a player's "greatness" with statistics. And while stats are a part of the equation it is nearly impossible to measure a player's contribution in a teamwork intensive sport such as basketball.

What can be said is that Moore has been the best player on her team since high school and that her teams have won championships at every one of those levels at a rate that no one else matches. There are great players that can count their pro rings on one finger. Players who lead their team and need most of a hand to hold their jewelry are much rarer. Wilt Chamberlain was arguably the most dominant player in the history of the NBA but if I was picking a team I'd rather have Bill Russell, whose stats didn't compare. Why? Wilt won a lot of MVP's and played on a lot of great teams but won few rings. Russell knew how to make his team mates better and it led to a basketball dynasty.

Reaction Score
A very enjoyable article regarding a player, team and an Organiz. There are some life-facts-- all life-forms experienced decline beginning with birth. It would be harsh to begin a discussion about this player's 'decline' in her sport life. But, there are endless number human biologists out there with one or another schema to measure whatever fancy them, so ... In the spirit of the article I'm looking for a lot more enjoyable basketball from a very classy (female)human.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom