OT: Stanley Cup Finals | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Stanley Cup Finals

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This thread is so funny. There are really people who believe Bobby Orr was better than Gretzky. I love the BY, so happy I found this place

I’m a Bruins fan and put Gretzky at the top. My top 4 all time players would be Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe and Orr. Orr is clearly the greatest defenseman of all time. It isn’t close.

The only fair way to judge any player of any era is relative to their peers. Those 4 stand out by that measure.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Meanwhile, back to the Cup Final. Barbashev was suspended for his hit, which didn’t even draw a minor penalty.

As I tried to say, these non-calls on hits the league doesn’t want have ratcheted up the physical play to the advantage of the Blues. The current NHL wants guys to be wary of making those hits, to the point that they don’t even deliver as many legal ones. I think the refs will call a tighter game tomorrow, which gives the Bruins a good chance to win and force a game 7.

St. Louis averaged 19 hits per game in the regular season. Thursday night they had 43 and the game prior, 44. Both wins. In game 2, the other St. Louis W, it was 50. In the two Boston wins it was 33 and 35. Still above normal, but not not by 100%.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Gretzky and babe Ruth are so far ahead of their peers that it’s ridiculous. Easily the 2 best athletes of all time.

There shouldn’t even be a conversation for either one really.

I’m a Bruins fan and put Gretzky at the top. My top 4 all time players would be Gretzky, Lemieux, Howe and Orr. Orr is clearly the greatest defenseman of all time. It isn’t close.

The only fair way to judge any player of any era is relative to their peers. Those 4 stand out by that measure.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sounds like Bruins fans would rather watch a free skate than Stanley Cup hockey. That's a far cry from when Cam Neely used to cross check guys in throat.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Sounds like Bruins fans would rather watch a free skate than Stanley Cup hockey. That's a far cry from when Cam Neely used to cross check guys in throat.

It has nothing to do with the Neely era Bruins, as every team played that way then.

I’m merely suggesting that teams build a roster based on the rules. Don’t change them in the playoffs. Imagine a pass happy NFL team going into the playoffs and suddenly the 1970s rules apply, with hits on QBs, high hits on WR, no real defensive holding calls etc. Or perhaps a modern NBA team gets to the playoff and finds there is no 3 point shot and no euro-step travel allowed. Whoever has the best traditional inside game is winning that series.

This NHL playoffs is being called as if it’s the Cam Neely era. And St. Louis is loaded with big Cam Neely type guys. Columbus was a bruising low skill team and yet took out a 128 point Tampa team. Same thing happened there.

Reaction Score
Wait, doesn't the dirtiest player in hockey Brad Marchand play for the Bruins?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Wait, doesn't the dirtiest player in hockey Brad Marchand play for the Bruins?

He’s not close to the dirtiest. Just among the most irritating. He’s also one of the best players in Hockey.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He’s not close to the dirtiest. Just among the most irritating. He’s also one of the best players in Hockey.
Nothing dirtier then some guy licking you non-consensually, imo.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This NHL playoffs is being called as if it’s the Cam Neely era. And St. Louis is loaded with big Cam Neely type guys. Columbus was a bruising low skill team and yet took out a 128 point Tampa team. Same thing happened there.
This doesn't exactly refute my statement about Bruin fans wanting to watch a free skate, btw.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This doesn't exactly refute my statement about Bruin fans wanting to watch a free skate, btw.

There’s a big difference between the way Hockey was played all year and a free skate. Honestly, I expect an uptick in hits in the post season. But from 20 to 45-50? That tells me the rules aren’t being enforced.

Nothing was more miserable than the old neutral zone trap slogs. I like the speed and skill getting a chance to shine. There’s always room for a good forecheck and winning puck battles on the boards.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
It would appear that way but my Canadian buddy who knows everything about hockey has always stood by Super Mario being better than Gretzky. Gretzky has a million MVP's and more Stanley Cups but Mario was freaking awesome, most points per game and highest goals per game career average.

Lemieux was more talented than Gretzky. Mario just had terrible luck with injuries and could never sustain health long enough. There’s no denying Gretzky’s numbers, but on pure talent, Mario was the best ever.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There’s no denying Gretzky’s numbers, but on pure talent, Mario was the best ever.
Nah. I'll give you he was great and physically bigger than Gretzky.

Reaction Score
Gretzky and babe Ruth are so far ahead of their peers that it’s ridiculous. Easily the 2 best athletes of all time.

Weirdest take I've seen in quite some time.
Ruth was a great Baseball Player and Gretzky was a great hockey player, but you probably couldn't have picked two better examples of guys who didn't come across as particularly athletic.
Can you imagine either being great as basketball? Or football?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Weirdest take I've seen in quite some time.
Ruth was a great Baseball Player and Gretzky was a great hockey player, but you probably couldn't have picked two better examples of guys who didn't come across as particularly athletic.
Can you imagine either being great as basketball? Or football?

I meant when people do those cross over lists around spirts, like the sportscentury list espn did like 20 years ago.

Definitely not the best run/jump athletes.

Reaction Score
Wayne Gretzky scored more points than anyone in the history of the sport without ever scoring a single goal.

Its an un-toppable stat. In all of sports!
Different positions.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So, any predictions for tonight? I’ll say 3-2 Bruins.

Reaction Score
I predict Bruins fans will crying about the refs.

“...unlike myself. One day, when my team plays in the Stanley Cup Final, myself and our fanbase will be very reasonable and treat the hardworking referees with the utmost respect.”

This is weak trolling even for you.

Reaction Score

I don't think I would consider putting a baseball player in the conversation of best athlete of all time. Just as I wouldn't consider a golfer or race car driver.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I don't think I would consider putting a baseball player in the conversation of best athlete of all time. Just as I wouldn't consider a golfer or race car driver.

If we're gonna get strict about these things, then the only folks who'd likely qualify are Olympic decathletes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom