OT: Stanley Cup Finals | The Boneyard

OT: Stanley Cup Finals

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The refs are a disgrace. Blues are a thug team. But the Bruins keep shooting 5 hole and Binnington got yanked in game 3 for getting torched down low. He’s cheating low every shot. Bruins have to shoot high.

Reaction Score
Zdeno has skated for 15 minutes so far with a broken jaw. Makes NBA players look soft.

Reaction Score
Bruins score with 6 and a half left, 2-1 Blues leading.

Reaction Score
That was quite a turnaround by Bennington.

Bruins backup goalie Halak had a nice run with the Sound Tigers. Couldn't believe he was in the AHL.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
That non penalty screwed the Bruins on the second goal. Man he was tripped and nothing was called. The Refs suck.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
A Bruins cup would allow people to try and put them in the same class as my Pens in terms of success in this generation, so Go Blues.

Also, I’d trade limbs to get Parayko. What a player.

#PlayGloria

Reaction Score
It's funny I really like the Bruins despite my hatred of the Sox, Pats. It's not the same as the Yanks and Giants with my Rangers and the New England thing for me.

But while I love to watch playoff hockey and most of the outside sales guys and customer service people who work for me bleed Black and Gold so I want them to be happy there's still that fact Bruins fans are Sox and Pats fans. The fact that play happened, they lost and they have to fight back is making this kind of even more fun for me LOL

Reaction Score
The refs are a disgrace. Blues are a thug team. But the Bruins keep shooting 5 hole and Binnington got yanked in game 3 for getting torched down low. He’s cheating low every shot. Bruins have to shoot high.

They also have to, you know, shoot...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The refs are a disgrace. Blues are a thug team.
I love it when the big, bad Bruins fans cry about the other team being too tough for them. It's just as funny now as it was 40+ years ago when they turtled against the Flyers two years straight.

Reaction Score
It's funny I really like the Bruins despite my hatred of the Sox, Pats. It's not the same as the Yanks and Giants with my Rangers and the New England thing for me.

But while I love to watch playoff hockey and most of the outside sales guys and customer service people who work for me bleed Black and Gold so I want them to be happy there's still that fact Bruins fans are Sox and Pats fans. The fact that play happened, they lost and they have to fight back is making this kind of even more fun for me LOL

I don't know how I generally agree with everything you write here, and yet....

I have always been a Patriots, Red Sox and Celtics fan, since the mid 1970s.

I only hate the Bruins. And that comes from being a Whalers fan.

Lost interest for a decade or more in the NHL until I moved to Buffalo and adopted the Sabres. It's been a rough several years.

Our pro sports interests are totally opposed.

Reaction Score
I love it when the big, bad Bruins fans cry about the other team being too tough for them. It's just as funny now as it was 40+ years ago when they turtled against the Flyers two years straight.

You are misremembering history.

The Big Bad Bruins of the early 70’s were really more “physical” than straight up bullies, like Philly.

But, I’m not going to get too upset by the rantings of a fan of a significantly lesser franchise.

The fact that we’re upset about the refs in the Stanley Cup Final shows that our problems are significantly better than the problems of whatever sorry hockey fanbase you happen to be a part of.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The Big Bad Bruins of the early 70’s were really more “physical” than straight up bullies, like Philly.
I'm not misremembering squat. They called themselves the big, bad Bruins while showing clips of goonery. Terry O'Reilly wasn't a bully? John Wensink? They never went into the stands to fight fans? God, I hope the Bruins choke this away. I will drink to your misery.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

But, I’m not going to get too upset by the rantings of a fan of a significantly lesser franchise.

The fact that we’re upset about the refs in the Stanley Cup Final shows that our problems are significantly better than the problems of whatever sorry hockey fanbase you happen to be a part of.

Yeah, the current Bruins are constructed for the modern NHL. Fast, skilled, shifty guys. Not very big really. Not a brawler in lineup.

The Blues are more like 1990s hockey. And the refs aren’t calling the game the way it’s called in 2019. So that’s a big advantage for the less skilled team that plays more old school hockey. But the whole playoffs have been that way. Columbus was a complete bruiser team, with much less skill than St. Louis, and they took out the best team in the NHL in four games. Nearly took out Boston too. The NHL needs to call the playoffs like the regular season.

Reaction Score
I'm not misremembering squat. They called themselves the big, bad Bruins while showing clips of goonery. Terry O'Reilly wasn't a bully? John Wensink? They never went into the stands to fight fans? God, I hope the Bruins choke this away. I will drink to your misery.

You are misremembering! Those guys were late 70’s/ early 80’s. “The Big Bad Bruins” were the Orr teams.

Reaction Score
I still can't believe the Bruins put up such a stinker at home in a pivotal game 5. The non-call on Acciari obviously was big, but to me the story of the game is how poorly the Bruins played.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

I don't care about any of that. It's irrelevant. Nobody plays that way anymore. I was a Whaler fan and loved how much the Bruins hated Ulf Samuelsson, who was big tough and good. Every team used to carry a goon on the roster, a designated fighter. It's all gone from the game now.

Is it a good thing? I'm mixed. I watch teams running over Rask all series with no repercussions. That's bad. Didn't use to happen because you never left with your teeth if you did that. But what isn't good is when teams build a roster around the game the NHL says it wants, and then they change the approach in the playoffs.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I still can't believe the Bruins put up such a stinker at home in a pivotal game 5. The non-call on Acciari obviously was big, but to me the story of the game is how poorly the Bruins played.

I was screaming at my TV. They burned Binnington in game 3 on low shots, mostly five-hole. He adjusted and was shutting that down, covering the low stuff before any shot was even taken. Like a soccer goalie always diving to one side on a penalty shot. And they must have put 30+ shots right into it. They didn't adjust to start shooting high until the 3rd period. Too late. They dominated the first period and wasted it. Should have been 3-0.

Reaction Score
I was screaming at my TV. They burned Binnington in game 3 on low shots, mostly five-hole. He adjusted and was shutting that down, covering the low stuff before any shot was even taken. Like a soccer goalie always diving to one side on a penalty shot. And they must have put 30+ shots right into it. They didn't adjust to start shooting high until the 3rd period. Too late. They dominated the first period and wasted it. Should have been 3-0.

Nobody would shoot!! I’m trying very hard to remember any of those 38 shots they reportedly took on goal

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Nobody would shoot!! I’m trying very hard to remember any of those 38 shots they reportedly took on goal

They peppered Binnington in the first, but every shot was five hole, and he had the pads down even before they took them. Really bad game planning by the Bruins. I think the scouting on him showed that as a vulnerability, and they destroyed him with it in game 3. The Blues adjusted, but really he left the high corners wide open all night by going down so early. Bruins didn't adjust in time. I think you will see something different next game.

You can see it here.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You are misremembering! Those guys were late 70’s/ early 80’s. “The Big Bad Bruins” were the Orr teams.
What? O'Reilly's first full year was 1972. He was in his prime when they lost twice in a row to Philly. And the Orr-era Big Bad Bruins moniker they cultivated was specifically a reference to their supposed toughness. Why are you arguing this?

Reaction Score
A Bruins cup would allow people to try and put them in the same class as my Pens in terms of success in this generation, so Go Blues.

Also, I’d trade limbs to get Parayko. What a player.

#PlayGloria
Don't the Penguins have way more success this generation than the Bruins? Don't the Bruins only have one Cup?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Don't the Penguins have way more success this generation than the Bruins? Don't the Bruins only have one Cup?

One cup. One finals loss. Pens clearly have more success. Bruins would be top 4-5 in this era, win or lose really.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom