Stanford's Future? | The Boneyard

Stanford's Future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
In 2005 when Candice Wiggins stepped on the court, Stanford reverted back to being a championship contending team. For the last decade, Stanford has been a Final Four participant or threat every season. In this stretch they've had the following All-Americans:
Candice Wiggins (2005-08)
Jayne Appel (2009-10)
Kayla Pederson (2010)
Jeanette Pohlen (2011)
Nneka Ogwumike (2010-12)
Chiney Ogwumike (2012-14)

With the graduation of Ogwumike, does anyone see Stanford as a Final Four favorite in the future? I don't think anyone on their current roster has All-American potential, nor does it look like they have any big recruits coming in next season. They have a good shot at Samuelson in 2015, but without any marquee players on their roster I think we'll see Stanford slip from national prominence for the next few seasons until they land a couple top 5 recruits again.

Reaction Score
In 2005 when Candice Wiggins stepped on the court, Stanford reverted back to being a championship contending team. For the last decade, Stanford has been a Final Four participant or threat every season. In this stretch they've had the following All-Americans:
Jayne Appel (2009-10)
Kayla Pederson (2010)
Jeanette Pohlen (2011)
Nneka Ogwumike (2010-12)

With the graduation of Ogwumike, does anyone see Stanford as a Final Four favorite in the future? I don't think anyone on their current roster has All-American potential, nor does it look like they have any big recruits coming in next season. They have a good shot at Samuelson in 2015, but without any marquee players on their roster I think we'll see Stanford slip from national prominence for the next few seasons until they land a couple top 5 recruits again.
Oh well,they can console themselves with a Stanford education

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Jayne Appel (2009-10)
Kayla Pederson (2010)
Jeanette Pohlen (2011)
Nneka Ogwumike (2010-12)

Sounds right. Without a dominating Ogwumike in the paint, opponents will be freed up to put more pressure on Stanford's perimeter players. Stanford will still be a solid, well-coached team, but not with the lofty expectations of the past 7-8 years.

Reaction Score
Sounds right. Without a dominating Ogwumike in the paint, opponents will be freed up to put more pressure on Stanford's perimeter players. Stanford will still be a solid, well-coached team, but not with the lofty expectations of the past 7-8 years.
I think you're right. Who are their incoming recruits for next season?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think what Stanford does in athletics is truly impressive - people can hem and haw about it, but they do have a much more restricted pool of possible recruits than other schools that offer full ride athletic scholarships. The UNC scandal gets lots of press, but I was happy that the ESPN piece went much broader than that to show that at least in mens football the 'academic' part of the scholarship for a not insignificant portion of athletes is a bad joke and a blight on otherwise fine schools.
That said, I do think Stanford may well slip from the FF contending teams for a few years - they have had a stellar century to date that compares favorably to any other program not named Uconn, TN or ND. And slipping from expected FF contender means they join a pool of 15-20 teams that still play good basketball, just a little below that top level where only a few programs reside. And I fully expect them to out perform teams that will have 'better' rosters because Tara is a very good coach and the program is run the right way.

Reaction Score
This also coincides with some positive steps being made by their PAC competition.

UCLA has a dynamite frosh class coming in.
Cal returns its top 2 scorers
USC returns 3 of its top 4
Oregon St had an unexpectedly good season
Washington has Kelcey Plum
Oregon is reportedly going to hire Gonzaga coach Kelly Graves

Who is the PAC favorite next year?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
This also coincides with some positive steps being made by their PAC competition.

UCLA has a dynamite frosh class coming in.
Cal returns its top 2 scorers
USC returns 3 of its top 4
Oregon St had an unexpectedly good season
Washington has Kelcey Plum
Oregon is reportedly going to hire Gonzaga coach Kelly Graves

Who is the PAC favorite next year?
Stanford. It is always Stanford. Believe me, their 2 losses were upsets.

Look for continuing upgrades across the PAC, although I don't know so much about Arizona. We are getting our highest ranked recruit in years (Junior's daughter, his son plays FB here), but are not changing coaches (as was forthrightly discussed in a weekly e-mail newsletter from the AD), so . . .

Reaction Score
Every time I see Amber Orrange play, she looks great, then I look at her season stats, and its not too impressive (good, but not great). If she can play like how she plays against UConn this year all of next year, she'll be an All-American.

I do like Lili Thompson (wasn't ranked by many services, mainly b/c she wasn't seen). Toni Kokenis was similar as well, very under the radar. Maybe Kaylee Johnson will become that hidden gem. Or, if Erica McCall can make a big jump. I still think they are a Top 15 team next year, possibly Top 10. Tara is a great coach, and they still have talent.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I think you're right. Who are their incoming recruits for next season?
Taylor Rooks 6-0 (#25)
Brittany McPhee 5-11 (#39)
Kaylee Johnson 6-2 (#94)

I think UCONN had looked at Taylor Rooks at one point.

Reaction Score
I doubt they'll contend for Final 4 next year, but I wouldn't be the least surprised to see them in the Elite Eight. As we've seen with ND, Baylor and others, the dropoff when you lose the big stars is not always as dramatic as people tend to expect.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
As long as you've got Tara and decent-or-better talent, you've got a shot to be good.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I see nobody on next years team that can post up for Stanford. I do not know about the 6'2" incoming recruit. I dont think McCall is that strong to do the job. I dont think Tara has a ton of confidence in her or she would have got a lot more minutes(averaged around 10mpg). Who is going to get baskets in the paint? who is going to rebound?
They lose 446 rebounds from Chiney and 345 rebounds from Ruef. Next closest player is Orrange at 130 and then McCall at 117 rebounds.

Good Luck.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I see nobody on next years team that can post up for Stanford. I do not know about the 6'2" incoming recruit. I dont think McCall is that strong to do the job. I dont think Tara has a ton of confidence in her or she would have got a lot more minutes(averaged around 10mpg). Who is going to get baskets in the paint? who is going to rebound?
They lose 446 rebounds from Chiney and 345 rebounds from Ruef. Next closest player is Orrange at 130 and then McCall at 117 rebounds.

Good Luck.

That's how I see it too. McCall has a great body and is a great athlete, but I don't see her as a big time scorer. I was impressed with Orrange and Thompson, but without Chiney drawing attention in the post it'll be more difficult for them to operate on the perimeter.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
I agree with OC, McCall is not big enough or skilled enough. She also looks lost and seems to have trouble with Stanfords plays. If you watched the UNC game the reason Stanford won was that they moved the ball. Against Uconn, the guards dribbled too much, they were corralled by Uconns bigger defenders and couldn't penetrate or move the ball and the clock was wasted by dribbling in the same area. Chiney or the wings had very few touches and the guards played right into Genos game plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom