Stanford title | The Boneyard

Stanford title

Reaction Score
Pretty interesting to go almost thirty years between titles.

the two extra wins for Tara give her some more cushion vs Geno in all time wins chase.

Haley-Jones probably suffers from east coast bias (read the games are too damn late and sometimes hard to find).

She's the often forgotten member of that national team where she and Azzi were featured and Bueckers and Boston were secondary. And a pretty low profile for overall #1.

Will be fascinating to see the preseason #1 next year. I think we know it will probably be UConn and it will be a whole year of stories about Bueckers looking for redemption, but it probably should be Stanford.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If the Stanford Guards.. Wilson and Williams come back then they should be #1.... but I kinda doubt Williams comes back. To win a title in your hometown in your senior year is a great way to end a career.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
If the Stanford Guards.. Wilson and Williams come back then they should be #1.... but I kinda doubt Williams comes back. To win a title in your hometown in your senior year is a great way to end a career.
Her teammates carried her, she did pretty much nothing today. I guess McDonald hounding her had something to do with that. Aari had a rough day, but still scored 22. Kiana scored 5, only had 6 shot attempts. They really could've used more from her, but she was nearly invisible.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I gave Arizona major props. They were blown out the first two times they face Stanford. Yes it was an ugly fest but it was a close ugly fest.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Pretty interesting to go almost thirty years between titles.

the two extra wins for Tara give her some more cushion vs Geno in all time wins chase.

Haley-Jones probably suffers from east coast bias (read the games are too damn late and sometimes hard to find).

She's the often forgotten member of that national team where she and Azzi were featured and Bueckers and Boston were secondary. And a pretty low profile for overall #1.

Will be fascinating to see the preseason #1 next year. I think we know it will probably be UConn and it will be a whole year of stories about Bueckers looking for redemption, but it probably should be Stanford.
Jones was outstanding this weekend. She started the season hot and cooked off as the year unfolded and appeared to be playing too passively, and then this weekend she went into kick butt mode. She seems like she's always great energy. Saw her consistently helping up opponents from the floor, her comments on Boston were great, and she always is composed out there. Im interested to see how Tara uses her if Williams and Robinson bolt. I wouldn't be surprised if she pulls a Didi Richards and becomes the new PG out of necessity, but i do think she has the skill set to be a good one.

#1 will likely be Stanford if Williams/Wilson come back. Otherwise my guess is SC/UCONN split votes for the top spot. SC lost on a blown layup to Stanford and have everyone back. UCONN returns everyone and brings in Fudd.

Reaction Score
Jones was outstanding this weekend. She started the season hot and cooked off as the year unfolded and appeared to be playing too passively, and then this weekend she went into kick butt mode. She seems like she's always great energy. Saw her consistently helping up opponents from the floor, her comments on Boston were great, and she always is composed out there. Im interested to see how Tara uses her if Williams and Robinson bolt. I wouldn't be surprised if she pulls a Didi Richards and becomes the new PG out of necessity, but i do think she has the skill set to be a good one.

#1 will likely be Stanford if Williams/Wilson come back. Otherwise my guess is SC/UCONN split votes for the top spot. SC lost on a blown layup to Stanford and have everyone back. UCONN returns everyone and brings in Fudd.

Haley seems to have a pro's demeanor and she will make some money on TV if she wants to when she's out of the game.

Reaction Score
Jones is the real deal, very solid in all aspects of the game, and appears to be a great kid. I question why McDonald wasn't a first team All-American. I hadn't seen her until tournament time, and she was unbelievable, both offensively and defensively! Just like Jones, I believe playing on the left side of the country hurt her exposure.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Jones is the real deal, very solid in all aspects of the game, and appears to be a great kid. I question why McDonald wasn't a first team All-American. I hadn't seen her until tournament time, and she was unbelievable, both offensively and defensively! Just like Jones, I believe playing on the left side of the country hurt her exposure.
At the outset of the season, I would agree with you. And in terms of her play in March, also agree. But McDonald had long stretches during conference play (and actually, Jones did too) where she looked less than extraordinary. And I think in both cases, teams started scouting their defenses to focus on McDonald and Jones. And I think part of what hurt that PAC this year is that all the top teams were pretty great defensive teams, so they took away a lot of our Conference star players' best offensive arsenal. Once Jones started breaking out in the fall, teams made her priority number one, and that in turn opened things up for Williams, Lexie Hull, and Brink to shine.

But Stanford was such a hard scout this season because on any given night, any player could go off. Think about this: 11 of our 12 suited scholarship players this season scored in double digits in at least one game. Is there any other team in the country that deep?

Reaction Score
At the outset of the season, I would agree with you. And in terms of her play in March, also agree. But McDonald had long stretches during conference play (and actually, Jones did too) where she looked less than extraordinary. And I think in both cases, teams started scouting their defenses to focus on McDonald and Jones. And I think part of what hurt that PAC this year is that all the top teams were pretty great defensive teams, so they took away a lot of our Conference star players' best offensive arsenal. Once Jones started breaking out in the fall, teams made her priority number one, and that in turn opened things up for Williams, Lexie Hull, and Brink to shine.

But Stanford was such a hard scout this season because on any given night, any player could go off. Think about this: 11 of our 12 suited scholarship players this season scored in double digits in at least one game. Is there any other team in the country that deep?
Thanks for the insight. Did you think Tara’s post game interview was expressionless , like she just lost her dog?

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score

I am a great fan of Jones as well, and even believed at the start of the season that she would be the Pac12 player of the year. But, to me, her mid-to-late season slump was as much a factor of problems with her shooting as it was due to the defenses she faced. In several of the games I watched, she simply kept missing--sometimes badly--the (relatively open) mid-range shots she made during the tournament.

One other Jones-related point: although I suspect I'm not as big a fan of Williams as are most, if both she and Wilson don't return then the backcourt will likely be Tara's major challenge, and I don't think putting Jones at the point, as at least one poster has suggested, really solves that given her turnover issues. (Jones had, by far, the most turnovers on the Stanford team and, in fact, more turnovers than assists during conference play.) If the Stanford guards return, none of this matters, but, if they don't, it will be interesting to see how Tara proceeds.

Reaction Score
. . .

That's pretty amazing and helps explain the Championship. SCar, for example, had only 7 such experienced players available for the tournament. One oft-used back up missed the tourney and I know that two (perhaps 3) of our players never approached double digits. Indeed, one of those seven, Amihere, might not have had a double digit game before going off against Texas.

Reaction Score
I am a great fan of Jones as well, and even believed at the start of the season that she would be the Pac12 player of the year. But, to me, her mid-to-late season slump was as much a factor of problems with her shooting as it was due to the defenses she faced. In several of the games I watched, she simply kept missing--sometimes badly--the (relatively open) mid-range shots she made during the tournament.

One other Jones-related point: although I suspect I'm not as big a fan of Williams as are most, if both she and Wilson don't return then the backcourt will likely be Tara's major challenge, and I don't think putting Jones at the point, as at least one poster has suggested, really solves that given her turnover issues. (Jones had, by far, the most turnovers on the Stanford team and, in fact, more turnovers than assists during conference play.) If the Stanford guards return, none of this matters, but, if they don't, it will be interesting to see how Tara proceeds.
I'm also not bullish on Jones as a PG, though I'm sure her ball-handling will improve. Arizona flustered her pretty constantly in the second half yesterday, and she seemed fortunate to have only four turnovers (with just one assist).

I think Stanford's Princeton offense relies less on the dribble drive than other offenses do, but they're going to need Brink to bulk up and/or the guards to step up on offense to repeat next year. Defense should be elite again, though.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I have not seen a ton of Haley Jones, but I had seen enough of her this year to be frustrated with what seemed like wasted potential/fading into the background. Then this weekend, she lived up to her hype and then some, hitting big shot after big shot and looking in control and polished offensively. She turns the ball over too often, but I'm ready for her to take on a "beast mode" mentality next year. She needs to act and play like she's the best player on the court, because I think if she does that, she's nearly unguardable.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
If you watched her during the regular season, she didn't play at a 1st team AA level, at least offensively which is usually more important for awards.

Reaction Score
So apparently game threads aren't allowed on a board that's 80% game threads during the season? Interesting ...

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
So apparently game threads aren't allowed on a board that's 80% game threads during the season? Interesting ...

I guess next season we can just use the Uconn Chat box for games like NC State vs Louisville..... or High Point vs NC A&T :cool:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Thanks for the insight. Did you think Tara’s post game interview was expressionless , like she just lost her dog?
That's just Tara. She is all business and poker face - rarely shows strong emotions either way, and is instead very analytical, literal, and considerate. She's also pretty private, so as she said, "it'll probably hit me tomorrow." I'll readily admit it doesn't make for exciting TV the way Geno's sarcasm, Kim's jackets, and Pat's infamous glare did. But couldn't be prouder for her to be our coach. :)

Reaction Score
I guess next season we can just use the Uconn Chat box for games like NC State vs Louisville..... or High Point vs NC A&T :cool:
Have you grown fond of your avatar? You have been released.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Have you grown fond of your avatar? You have been released.

Well since it's the off-season... was just trying to figure out a theme to go with for avatars. In the past i've down past Duke players in the WNBA... or logos of all the Division I schools in NC, minus one.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
She didn't want to rub it in on Arizona and she knew her team didn't play great.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Guessing Paige would have done better. :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member