Stanford goes down 72-67 to Washington | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stanford goes down 72-67 to Washington

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
SCar's closest game was Stanford. Went to OT.

It is an interesting question of whether a team's resume or the assessment of how good they actually are should carry the ranking.

Stanford seems better to me than their resume at this point, but maybe that's wrong.
I don’t know that this Stanford team has been able to replace the perimeter shooters and athleticism of the Hull sisters and Wilson. They basically run their offense through forward Haley Jones. While they have a lot of talent, to be sure, Stanford really doesn’t beat teams off the dribble.

Reaction Score
I think you can make a strong case that UConn is the #2 team in the nation right now. I know that LSU is unbeaten, but having watched their last 2 games, the Tigers are just not in the same class with SC, UConn, Stanford or IN.
Could similar case be made for Indiana

Reaction Score
The narrative for UConn was - with no depth you can’t get very far. Yet the team kept winning against all odds and delivered the closest game against SCar. They have only lost to ranked teams, #1, #7, and #8 (today). Teams like Stanford have deep rosters and have fallen to unranked opponents. UConn is therefore deserving of a #1 tournament seeding. Would the other 3 be Scar, Indiana, and LSU. The rest of February and the conference tournaments are going to be exciting!
I think we will rarely see 2 teams from one conference in the top 4 seeds and rarely see 3 teams in the top 8.

In predicting the top 8, my formula is 6 to P-6 teams and number 2 team from two different P-) conferences . That will be tested this year if no strong Big 12 team emerges.

Way to early top 8 seeds:

1. SCar
2. indiana
3 UConn
4. Utah

5. Stanford
6. LSU
7. Notre Dame
8. Iowa

Outside looking in: Texas and Duke

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
We joke and kid but I would not be surprised if something like that happens. Heck Texas barely beat Kansas but I am sure Texas is going to be Top 15 this week.
And, Kansas trounced Arizona 77-50 in Tucson in December.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Great comeback game for Stanford tonight. They looked scary good. Brink and Jones were locked in and played brilliantly. Brink especially is just so fluid and dominant defensively. Jones had a great game too. Shot well and brilliant passing. Jump was hitting shots, Nivar was great. Fran Belibi only played 7 minutes and still finished with 5 points, 2 boards, 2 assists, and 2 blocks. That kind of night all around for Stanford. Biggest surprise was seeing Betts whose been MIA most of the year. She was phenomenal. Great touch inside, moved a lot better than she did in the McDonald's AA game last year, blocked shots and defended well. The massive lineup of her and Brink reminded me so much of when SC plays Boston/Cardoso. Cameron is a little more fluid than Boston out of the high post, but the big to big passing was spot on and Stanford seems indefensible with both out there. I wonder if Tara will unleash that combo more frequently as we get closer to March. Stanford can be hot and cold, but when they're hot, look out.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They looked so good last night that I am a little nervous about the ASU. Tara has 2.5 days vs. the normal less than 48 hours to prepare, so she has more time to get them focused.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom