Stanford-bound Fran Belibi dunks -- again -- in high school game | The Boneyard

Stanford-bound Fran Belibi dunks -- again -- in high school game

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Stanford signee Fran Belibi scored 32 points Wednesday night to help Regis Jesuit avenge a loss to Grandview in the 2017-18 Colorado girls' basketball state championship game. Everyone is focusing on two of them.

As she's been known to do time and time and time again, Belibi dunked. This one came in the first half of the 79-55 victory.

OMG! How did we let this one get away? :rolleyes:

[LINK]

Last edited by a moderator:

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
We're thrilled to have her join the Farm next year. Crazily enough, she didn't start playing basketball until high school, so her ceiling is still so high. That said, she claims she has no intention to try for pro basketball and wants to go straight to med school. It'll be interesting to see if she keeps that plan if she really takes off in college, but yes, she definitely is the epitome of a Stanford student-athlete.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I don’t understand why the dunk is a big deal. Most women can barely clear the rim. It’s the same two points as a layup and a greater chance of injury. I prefer passing and team offense, not one player showing off.

I understand your position. But to many others, a woman (of any size or height) dunking a regulation basketball in a sanctioned game is noteworthy.

WNBA - If you watch the WNBA, how many times did you see a player dunk last year?. 6'9" Brittany Griner (Phoenix Mercury) may have been the only one. Even though every woman playing in the WNBA and in D1 college are "cream of the crop" athletes, most of them do not have the leaping ability to dunk a basketball. There are some that do.

WCBB - Here's an exception - Shakayla Thomas, a 5'-10" guard recently graduated from Florida State could dunk. She's one of those very rare athletes with extraordinary leaping ability, similar to that of our own 5'11" Gabby Williams. I'm sure there were/are others at this level that can dunk, but very few women dunk in a regulation game. It's too risky if they miss it. Their coaches would be furious by the attempt, as a simple lay up would have sufficed; instead of a turnover, and a missed basket.

How many times did you see a player dunk in a game the last several years? Of course I did not see every game, but I don't remember any. None was brought to my attention. I remember Breanna Stewart missed a dunk once during her 4 years. I believe it was on an attempted put back of another player's shot. Gabby had mad hops, but she never dunked in a game during her UConn career.

We know 6'5" Olivia Ododa-Nelson (ONO) can dunk. She was in the dunk contest during the McDonald's All-American basketball games this past summer. During the contest, she did manage to throw one down.
Again, notice the reaction from the crowd.

Don't hold your breath waiting for her throw down a rim rattler during a game. We may NEVER she her attempt a dunk while she's at UConn. Here's a clip. Notice the reaction from her teammates. She got a perfect "10" from all the judges! :D

High School - It's extremely rare for a high school female to dunk in a game. Maybe in practice, and maybe a smaller ball i.e. a tennis ball (because most females' hands are not large enough to palm the ball), but not in a game. According to reports, Belibi does this time and time and time again, and she does it using only one hand. :eek:

Look at the clip again. Notice the reaction of the folks in the stands. Dunks excite everyone. Those in the seats, and those on the bench. They always have, especially on break-a-ways.

Look at the excitement and pandemonium that "Zion Williamson" (Duke) causes whenever he throws down one of his thunderous "windmill" dunks. That's excitement!! That's what the fans want to see, especially if they "posterize" an opposing player. When LeBron James throws down a windmill dunk, it excites the crowd....EVERY TIME. ;)

Elementary school - Last but not least there's Ashlyn Watkins - 5th Grade Dunk Sensation! OMG! :eek:
She says: "When you see me coming down the lane, get out of the way". :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I don’t understand why the dunk is a big deal. Most women can barely clear the rim. It’s the same two points as a layup and a greater chance of injury. I prefer passing and team offense, not one player showing off.

Its not like she is doing that every play, she rarely attempts to do it. She's a team player.

It is pretty cool because in this sport its a rarity, given most women do not have the size to be able to do it. That said plays like that bring excitement and energy to not only the crowd but her teammates.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think the issue is that the Belebi Dunks are better than other examples from WBB. If I recall, the issue is that her hands are really big so she can cup the ball with some control when going up. This makes her dunks better looking and even if many of the BY may not get overly excited about it, you have to admit that it makes the fans in the arena go nuts.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
To me, what makes her dunks special is that they are actually the efficient offensive play. When I've seen other women dunk, it looks forced, and requires some set-up to go well. With her, she just grabs and goes, making the shot look entirely natural.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To me, what makes her dunks special is that they are actually the efficient offensive play. When I've seen other women dunk, it looks forced, and requires some set-up to go well. With her, she just grabs and goes, making the shot look entirely natural.
This. She dunks efficiently. Stewart could dunk but not efficiently. It was more of a stunt than a high percentage play. Olivia can dunk efficiently too.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Stanford signee Fran Belibi scored 32 points Wednesday night to help Regis Jesuit avenge a loss to Grandview in the 2017-18 Colorado girls' basketball state championship game. Everyone is focusing on two of them.

As she's been known to do time and time and time again, Belibi dunked. This one came in the first half of the 79-55 victory.

OMG! How did we let this one get away? :rolleyes:

[LINK]
Geno was intrigued, but ultimately thought she was raw. Note that she came off the bench for the USA U17 team.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I dont know why anyone would be anti-dunking...it brings so much attention to the game and adds a different element of excitement. Plus as players get better itll eventually become a more efficient shot.

Belibi's dunks are extremely impressive. One, she isnt very tall or lanky at 6-1. Most of the female dunkers are significantly taller or slighter built.
Two, Belibi looks powerful throwing it down. They aren't weak dunks and she throws it down with force which I've only ever seen from Brittney Griner.

I hope she continues to dunk and show off her athleticism. It will get more recognition online and will put more butts in seats for WBB games around the country.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I dont know why anyone would be anti-dunking...it brings so much attention to the game and adds a different element of excitement. Plus as players get better itll eventually become a more efficient shot.

Belibi's dunks are extremely impressive. One, she isnt very tall or lanky at 6-1. Most of the female dunkers are significantly taller or slighter built.
Two, Belibi looks powerful throwing it down. They aren't weak dunks and she throws it down with force which I've only ever seen from Brittney Griner.

I hope she continues to dunk and show off her athleticism. It will get more recognition online and will put more butts in seats for WBB games around the country.

I'd go see her. I think she's worth the price of admission. :cool:

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
This girl is in a HS dunk contest on ESPN2 right now and just went Dr J with a baseline reverse power jam. The rim rattled.

At The PowerAde JamFest

Reaction Score
I understand your position. But to many others, a woman (of any size or height) dunking a regulation basketball in a sanctioned game is noteworthy.

WNBA - If you watch the WNBA, how many times did you see a player dunk last year?. 6'9" Brittany Griner (Phoenix Mercury) may have been the only one. Even though every woman playing in the WNBA and in D1 college are "cream of the crop" athletes, most of them do not have the leaping ability to dunk a basketball. There are some that do.

WCBB - Here's an exception - Shakayla Thomas, a 5'-10" guard recently graduated from Florida State could dunk. She's one of those very rare athletes with extraordinary leaping ability, similar to that of our own 5'11" Gabby Williams. I'm sure there were/are others at this level that can dunk, but very few women dunk in a regulation game. It's too risky if they miss it. Their coaches would be furious by the attempt, as a simple lay up would have sufficed; instead of a turnover, and a missed basket.

How many times did you see a player dunk in a game the last several years? Of course I did not see every game, but I don't remember any. None was brought to my attention. I remember Breanna Stewart missed a dunk once during her 4 years. I believe it was on an attempted put back of another player's shot. Gabby had mad hops, but she never dunked in a game during her UConn career.

We know 6'5" Olivia Ododa-Nelson (ONO) can dunk. She was in the dunk contest during the McDonald's All-American basketball games this past summer. During the contest, she did manage to throw one down.
Again, notice the reaction from the crowd.

Don't hold your breath waiting for her throw down a rim rattler during a game. We may NEVER she her attempt a dunk while she's at UConn. Here's a clip. Notice the reaction from her teammates. She got a perfect "10" from all the judges! :D

High School - It's extremely rare for a high school female to dunk in a game. Maybe in practice, and maybe a smaller ball i.e. a tennis ball (because most females' hands are not large enough to palm the ball), but not in a game. According to reports, Belibi does this time and time and time again, and she does it using only one hand. :eek:

Look at the clip again. Notice the reaction of the folks in the stands. Dunks excite everyone. Those in the seats, and those on the bench. They always have, especially on break-a-ways.

Look at the excitement and pandemonium that "Zion Williamson" (Duke) causes whenever he throws down one of his thunderous "windmill" dunks. That's excitement!! That's what the fans want to see, especially if they "posterize" an opposing player. When LeBron James throws down a windmill dunk, it excites the crowd....EVERY TIME. ;)

Elementary school - Last but not least there's Ashlyn Watkins - 5th Grade Dunk Sensation! OMG! :eek:
She says: "When you see me coming down the lane, get out of the way". :confused:

I'd just like to see ONO learn to extend the ball like that on all her shots around the rim. Shouldn't be that difficult. ;)

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This girl is in a HS dunk contest on ESPN2 right now and just went Dr J with a baseline reverse power jam. The rim rattled.

At The PowerAde JamFest

Apparently, she won the Dunk Contest. She had a very nice reverse dunk on the baseline. :eek:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
She had another dunk where she jumped over a player sitting in a chair. I really hope she has a chance to dunk while being defended at some point during her college career. She has the power and explosiveness to do it I think.

Reaction Score
She also had a two-handed jam off a pass of the backboard from none other than Haley Jones.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Just saw a clip of another of her dunks. Several women can dunk, but she can DUNK! That's entirely different than anything I've seen from a female basketball player before.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom