Staley Settles with Missouri AD | The Boneyard

Staley Settles with Missouri AD

Reaction Score
What about the anouncers that were saying they heard such unapropriate conduct behind them. I guess they made it up. ;)

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
What about the anouncers that were saying they heard such unapropriate conduct behind them. I guess they made it up. ;)
While the SC fans were certainly charged up, and there is certainly a possibility that some may have said something inappropriate, the charge from the Mizzou AD was that Staley promoted a “hostile and racist environment.”

No announcer supported the Mizzou AD’s charge that Staley had anything to do with the crowd’s actions.

Reaction Score
I like the Mizz AD. I heard the local radio interview he did. It was harmless. He meant Dawns actions and comments leading up to the game and I agree with him. She made her point and won that’s for sure.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Part of the Mizzou AD’s problem was that “creating a hostile and racist environment” could be construed as not only poor sportsmanship, but possibly a violation of the law. The Civil Rights Act, from which we derive sexual harassment and hate speech law, uses similar language to describe illegal acts. Falsely accusing another person of a crime or unlawful acts IS grounds for a defamation suit.

But anyone can sue for most anything. The highly relevant question is, “Can the suit be won?”

So, that brings us to what grounds support a guilty verdict in a defamation lawsuit. First, the communications in question must identify the person who is “attacked.” Next, the remarks must be false. Third, the remarks must be published to a third party or parties, not simply thought. Finally, there must be a negative result, or “damage” incurred by the person attacked. Dawn would seem to be in fairly good shape on all four criteria.

But there’s a catch. As a public figure, Staley would ALSO have to prove “malice.” There are two flavors of malice. One is saying something false with the knowledge that it is actually false. Or, one says something false with utter disregard for whether or not it is true. Either test is enough to result in a guilty verdict. Staley would seem to have had a good shot at proving BOTH.

My purpose in posting this is to possibly explain why Mizzou caved in and settled without a trial. Stated simply, the other side was holding most or all of the high cards.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I like the Mizz AD. I heard the local radio interview he did. It was harmless. He meant Dawns actions and comments leading up to the game and I agree with him. She made her point and won that’s for sure.
After a very physical matchup in Columbia, MO when Mizzou upset SC with Wilson fouling out, Dawn was definitely not pleased, but what words specifically did Dawn use leading up to the rematch in Columbia, SC that were “hostile and racist?”

Last edited:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
After a very physical matchup in Columbia, MO when Mizzou upset SC with Wilson fouling out, Dawn was definitely not pleased, but what words specifically did Dawn use leading up to the rematch in Columbia, SC that were “hostile and racist?”

I’m not sure we will ever know. With the settlement, both sides (likely) agreed not to reopen or re-air some or most of the details. This is usual.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’m not sure we will ever know. With the settlement, both sides (likely) agreed not to reopen or re-air some or most of the details. This is usual.
My question was rhetorical. There was no report of Staley saying anything that was specifically hostile or racist. Dawn did complain bitterly about Wilson fouling out of the game at Mizzou, and that was about the extent of it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom