Staley: Be Fans, Not Coaches | The Boneyard

Staley: Be Fans, Not Coaches

Reaction Score
I do understand where she is coming from. When you sit through an entire game of listening to a parent coaching from the stands it's horrible. The kids are being "coached" in both ears on the court.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
If she wants to be an NC contender she will face scrutiny when things do not go well.

Before the UConn game, she said "she expected to win at Storrs and we do not have to play a perfect game to win".

Well UConn played a far from perfect game and dealt with issues that could have been crippling and it seems clear that the SC players were not mentally intimidated so it does seem that in this game, alot of the responsibility should be placed on Dawn and the x-o issues

As the BY knows, you cant have a rabid fan base and tell them to just clap like sheep without opinions.

I think she will learn from this and SC will be stronger for it. The fact that you want to play our program every year shows a great deal.

Best of Luck.

Reaction Score
I agree, eebmg.

Probably, in his own way, reflecting the pressure an elite program is under, Geno has said practically the same. But not so directly, at least not that I recall. I don't think Dawn's statement is an effective formulation. It shows she's actually stressed. She could have joked that fans aren't happy and neither is she or her team. But telling fans how they should think and act and how coaching is far more difficult than they know can be taken as an indication that she's not really in complete control. She misspoke.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
According to one of the hometown journalists, David Cloninger, "Wilson and Coates [were] being mugged under the rim for (many) no-calls, . . . and its defense was twisting Katie Lou Samuelson’s hair-bun into a sack of pretzels."
True? Partly? Were Gabby and Nepheesa beating up on their larger counterparts?

Reaction Score
Guess she doesn't read any team's blogs. At TN, one of the Commenters is pushing to be considered the "new" coach. At least we aren't talking about deposing our coach, but the situation is different.

Also, SC could have been much better if they could make in game adjustments. SC seems to live and die with the soft lob to Coates/Wilson. Gabbie took care of that. Just sayin... :rolleyes:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have always had a bit of a problem parsing what Dawn is communicating and this interview is no different. Some of what she says are the usual platitudes. Some of it just a bit bewildering in an almost C Viv way. What she said initially about the UConn loss went by quick and sounded dismissive. Though I thought she was meaning to say we have to put it behind us, it came out smh. What she said about Coates, I give her props for that, but Coates has performed that way for 3 years - Dawn has to own that. Dawn's reference to the freshman guard and integrating two wings who had not played their system - upperclassmen - was a BS excuse . 25 games - there is no system confusion. She's been saying quite different things about her freshman PG for quite some time.

Reaction Score
Most of the teams lost to UConn, their ranks were actually up. USCr was up one from #6 to #5 in Coach Poll.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
According to one of the hometown journalists, David Cloninger, "Wilson and Coates [were] being mugged under the rim for (many) no-calls, . . . and its defense was twisting Katie Lou Samuelson’s hair-bun into a sack of pretzels."

Not sure how to answer the Wilson/Coates thing except to say I would think these 2 should be used to physical play in the SEC and maybe expect that in the WNBA. Furthermore, when you think about how important it is for our front court to stay out of foul trouble, do you see Geno saying "all right hack them until they bleed" :rolleyes:

Regarding Lou, I like the imagery. Very funny. However, Lou had 4 uncontested (or at least not very contested) shots in the first minute and just missed. I think this got into her head a little and gave more confidence to SC to continue to play her the same so I guess I would say 50 - 50 split.

Reaction Score
I do understand where she is coming from. When you sit through an entire game of listening to a parent coaching from the stands it's horrible. The kids are being "coached" in both ears on the court.
One would think at the college level that the extra baggage some of these athletes have to tote around would learn to sit and watch and keep their lips zippered! So when we hear Geno gets the right player, it's mostl likely the one who has less stuff in their suitcases!

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
From the article
Staley’s crew has heard from the online critics who panned what the team didn’t do at UConn

Part of me feels "indirectly" Dawn was trying to protect her players from the critics, in this case the ones online.

We read, on another topic, about humorous(?) posts the SC fans had posted on one of the SC Forums, that many were critical of individual players. Some said Player A was like playing 4 on 5. Some said player A isnt a pg if she cant drive or shoot. Others said Player B they want in the game, while others said the same player is out of control when she is in the game. Others were critical of Players C and D for their stamina vs the athletic UConn team.

I think dawn can handle all of the critical words, just looking out for the girls.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Sorry, Dawn. Getting second guessed by your fanbase goes with the job. Also, a few of those folks have been or are coaches.

Staley's the one who brought in Davis, so you know what you're gonna get.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Not sure how to answer the Wilson/Coates thing except to say I would think these 2 should be used to physical play in the SEC and maybe expect that in the WNBA. Furthermore, when you think about how important it is for our front court to stay out of foul trouble, do you see Geno saying "all right hack them until they bleed" :rolleyes:

Regarding Lou, I like the imagery. Very funny. However, Lou had 4 uncontested (or at least not very contested) shots in the first minute and just missed. I think this got into her head a little and gave more confidence to SC to continue to play her the same so I guess I would say 50 - 50 split.

I thought the same exact thing. KLS missed some chippies very early, with no or very little pressure from the USC defense. Then Coates apparently whacked her in the gut, probably not so deliberately deliberately in the 2H. Tough game for her, but I'll bet she's itching to get another crack at them in the NCAAs. Something tells me it won't be the same story for her the second time around this season.

Reaction Score
One would think at the college level that the extra baggage some of these athletes have to tote around would learn to sit and watch and keep their lips zippered! So when we hear Geno gets the right player, it's mostl likely the one who has less stuff in their suitcases!
He has said as much. Particularly with references to parents who wanted to be coaches or dictate how and how much their child is used.

Reaction Score
I thought the same exact thing. KLS missed some chippies very early, with no or very little pressure from the USC defense. Then Coates apparently whacked her in the gut, probably not so deliberately deliberately in the 2H. Tough game for her, but I'll bet she's itching to get another crack at them in the NCAAs. Something tells me it won't be the same story for her the second time around this season.
I noticed that her (KLS) first few shots were uncontested and she was wide open to make them. The player in her shorts defense started quickly once they saw how open she was. Any shot she got after that she had to work for. I agree also given another shot at SC this team plays at an even higher level! :cool::p

Reaction Score
When you come out during introductions, strike a flex pose and kiss your bicep like this is the WWE, you'd better expect someone to take it to you physically...and HARD. Natalie gave Coates everything back, but it was an even battle; nobody else took it to Coates.

Wilson is another story, as she was depending on her upper body to move through people, not her feet, which caused her to get tangled up several times; 50/50 at best. She got VERY frustrated with Gabby towards the end of the game...understandable, given that people talk about her as NPOY and Gabby/Pheesa took her to the cleaners.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I guess I'm in the minority her in that I agree with her.

In Europe, you will sometimes hear the term "supporter" instead of fan. See, for example, this blog on the difference (Fan Vs Supporter - What's The Difference?) I wish we had more of a "supporter" mentality, i.e. "This is my team and we lost but I'll support them no matter what" rather than "The coach doesn't know what she's doing; she should have done XYZ".

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Sorry, Dawn. Getting second guessed by your fanbase goes with the job. Also, a few of those folks have been or are coaches.
Huh? You lost me. First off, what she said was very measured and accurate on that many do not understand the day to day grind. She didn't say if it was the fan base, reporters or sportscasters who were critical. 2nd point is do not say just because people on here were coaches (of what HS? Travel? Pee wee?) cannot compare to Division 1 top flight NCAA basketball. This is a fact because if any of our esteemed colleagues were truly that knowledgeable and talented they would actually be coaching at that level. So unless you're Jim Calhoun under an assumed name, you can't be too critical. Dawn has been to a Final Four as a player, as a coach, been to multiple Olympics as a player and a coach and been in world championship tournaments as both. I, for one will respect that and ignore your less than logical retort.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I guess I'm in the minority her in that I agree with her.

In Europe, you will sometimes hear the term "supporter" instead of fan. See, for example, this blog on the difference (Fan Vs Supporter - What's The Difference?) I wish we had more of a "supporter" mentality, i.e. "This is my team and we lost but I'll support them no matter what" rather than "The coach doesn't know what she's doing; she should have done XYZ".

What the heck would we talk about, the design of our next team scarf? Oh, BTW, those European fans now routinely require riot police in attendance.

Reaction Score

Instantly, one of the old Disney cartoons started playing in the theater of my wandering mind: Goofy in a tennis tournament. Each time one side hit the ball, the whole spectators turned their heads in unison. Ball back, and all heads turned in synch the other way. Back and forth, back and forth as the speed of the tennis shots increased.

Sorta like that, Dawn?

So we sit and watch and be entertained, say zero, nod, "Good job!" And file out in synch until the next match.

Sorry, Dawn... Much more to being a fan then not putting our 1.5 cents in. I think?

Reaction Score
Huh? You lost me. First off, what she said was very measured and accurate on that many do not understand the day to day grind. She didn't say if it was the fan base, reporters or sportscasters who were critical. 2nd point is do not say just because people on here were coaches (of what HS? Travel? Pee wee?) cannot compare to Division 1 top flight NCAA basketball. This is a fact because if any of our esteemed colleagues were truly that knowledgeable and talented they would actually be coaching at that level. So unless you're Jim Calhoun under an assumed name, you can't be too critical. Dawn has been to a Final Four as a player, as a coach, been to multiple Olympics as a player and a coach and been in world championship tournaments as both. I, for one will respect that and ignore your less than logical retort.
The logic of this argument could be extended to, unless you've been a professional musician you can't critique a singers performance, or unless you've been a teacher you can't critique a teachers performance, or unless you've been a president you can't critique a presidents performance. I coach and I know that I get second guessed all the time by fans/parents who for the most part know a lot less about my sport than I do. I think it's part of the deal and it's pointless to complain about it. Also, while I have faith in my coaching abilities, I make my share of of mistakes over the course of a season. No matter how accomplished you are in any field it shouldn't shield you from criticism even if a good deal of it is unfounded.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom