Staley A Match For Trailblazers? | The Boneyard

Staley A Match For Trailblazers?

Reaction Score
She could whip them into shape in no time flat. I even read where Kawhi Leonard said that if Dawn was his coach while with Portland, he'd have never left them, and would be interested in returning to them again next season. Said he would bring Kevin Durant with him......

Reaction Score
She could whip them into shape in no time flat. I even read where Kawhi Leonard said that if Dawn was his coach while with Portland, he'd have never left them, and would be interested in returning to them again next season. Said he would bring Kevin Durant with him......
Leonard has never played for Portland. Spurs, Raptors, and Clippers only.

Reaction Score
Dawn has been pretty adamant about not having interest in coach in the pros, women or men, so we’ll see if this goes anywhere. I’m not worried about her leaving, but you never know. Very flattering if this reporting about the interest is true.

Reaction Score
I would think she’s not going to leave that gold mine she has in Columbia right now. But….ya never know.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I guess that would be 'TrailBlazing'

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well the NBA certainly has more money.
I’ve said before that I don’t think there’s any reason to leave South Carolina, where she is well paid, has the resources to compete for a national championship and plays before huge crowds. But this is different, isn’t it? I can see the opportunity speaking to her competitively and above all else Staley is a competitor. I don’t see this happening, but if it did it wouldn’t surprise me all that much.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I’ve said before that I don’t think there’s any reason to leave South Carolina, where she is well paid well, has the resources to compete for a national championship and plays before huge crowds. But this is different, isn’t it? I can see the opportunity speaking to her competitively and above all else Staley is a competitor. I don’t see this happening, but if it did it wouldn’t surprise me all that much.
Only if she can Take Aaliyah Boston with her. ;);)

Reaction Score
I’ve said before that I don’t think there’s any reason to leave South Carolina, where she is well paid, has the resources to compete for a national championship and plays before huge crowds. But this is different, isn’t it? I can see the opportunity speaking to her competitively and above all else Staley is a competitor. I don’t see this happening, but if it did it wouldn’t surprise me all that much.
She also is the current USA women's basketball coach, why would anyone want to give that up to coach an NBA team?
The players make all the money, and a lot of them are headcases.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
This doesn’t surprise me. As much as she says she has no interest in coaching pro ball I’ve always felt an NBA team was the biggest threat for Dawn. I obviously want her to stay at SC forever, but this would be a glass ceiling shattering hire and after an initial emotional breakdown I would celebrate the move.

Ultimately, I feel the NBA will always be there for her, whether she takes this position or not.

CL82

Reaction Score
She also is the current USA women's basketball coach, why would anyone want to give that up to coach an NBA team?
Because she would be coaching at the highest level of the sport. That, in and of itself, I suspect would appeal to someone who has spent their whole life competing. I also suspect that, as big a pain in the butt it would be and the amount of scrutiny she would be under, Dawn realizes that someone has to be the first. I think that is something that she would weigh in making the decision.

Reaction Score

Because she can potentially increase her earnings by millions?

Reaction Score
I don't think it impacts NBA coaches that much as there have been several NBA coaches involved with the US Men's program over the years, either as HC or AC.

Tomjanovich comes to mind for one. I believe Popovich has been an assistant several times.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
There's a huge pull to be the first at anything. I really doubt she would take the job even if offered. She just built a new house in Columbia on the river and close to the arena and she has the number 1 recruiting class coming in.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There's a huge pull to be the first at anything. I really doubt she would take the job even if offered. She just built a new house in Columbia on the river and close to the arena and she has the number 1 recruiting class coming in.
:eek: A new house on the river? So Dawn can't be that attached to it yet and besides Portland has plenty of houses on the water. That number 1 class might be overrated also- well at least that's what someone told me.

jumpstart

WBB fan in general
Reaction Score
:eek: A new house on the river? So Dawn can't be that attached to it yet and besides Portland has plenty of houses on the water. That number 1 class might be overrated also- well at least that's what someone told me.
Dawn's mother (who passed) lived in Columbia as a little girl. She has an attachment beyond a "house on the river". She is invested in South Carolina in may ways that have little to do with her program. Dawn will not accept the job but she will entertain it as a "women being interviewed by the NBA" type of moment. She makes mega bucks and has her program at the top.....and....she is just one of a few on the list. That does not mean she is at the top of the list....and about the class being overrated...someone "lied" to you...lol

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I don't think it impacts NBA coaches that much as there have been several NBA coaches involved with the US Men's program over the years, either as HC or AC.

Tomjanovich comes to mind for one. I believe Popovich has been an assistant several times.
I believe Pop is the Head Coach for these Olympics. I too remember Tomjanovich. With the advent of the "Dream" Team and the WNBA coaching moved (generally) to pro coaches, except they snagged Coach K and Geno for a couple times. One of Dawn's strengths is that she was a former Olympian. Otherwise, I would not have been shocked to see Cheryl Reeve, who has assisted several times, to have been the head coach.

CL82

Reaction Score

An obvious smoke screen. I have a friend who heard Dawn was looking for cross country moving companies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom