Stable ACC or B!G? | The Boneyard

Stable ACC or B!G?

Stable ACC or B1G

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Huskieforlife

We are a better fit in the ACC. But B1G gets us more $$$ and helps football.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
If we "had a choice", it is a no-brainer for me. You go to the B1G. Much better money, better bowl tie-ins, and more respect in the strenght-of-schedule calculations when evaluating our team. Hands down, it has to be B1G. Even in a stable ACC, the B1G gives our school a competitive advantage over Syracuse and BC in the region...

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
B1G. We're too good of a school academically to be associated with the likes of Miami, NC State, Louisville and Florida State. Plus, as mentioned before, B1G gives us recruiting advantages over Syracuse and BC and on par with RU and Penn State. Hoops would benefit from having Chicago exposure in addition to NYC.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Look the money and prestige and such is great but what about the rivalries? Have we all just given up on that part of college sports? To me this is what is going to destroy college sports and fan involvement. Outside of the SEC and B1G who are people going to get up for? Look at BC. Who's their biggest draw? ND. Not Clemson or FSU, fellow ACC mates. Who will RU fans get up for? Sure it will be great to see OSU, Michigan, or PSU in your stadium but will you really care as much about beating them as you did when you played UConn or whoever RU's rival was?

I agree that the B1G is great but our rivalries, the things that have been built for 2+ decades, reside in the ACC. This is why attendance is going to shrink for UConn in all sports. Besides the fact that many teams are not good, people just don't care about seeing us play teams that we have ZERO history with. Add to the fact that none of their fans will show up, nor will we travel to any of their stadiums, and you have a recipe for fans who don't care. This will be the same for Syracuse and Pitt in the ACC. The same happened to WVU in the Big-12. They couldn't fill their stadium for a national tv game versus a top 12 Oklahoma team.

With money being tight for a lot of folks, I can't see them shelling out money for games against teams they don't know. That's why I'd love to play in the ACC. Give me Syracuse, Pitt, BC, heck, even Louisville, any day in all sports.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Look the money and prestige and such is great but what about the rivalries? Have we all just given up on that part of college sports? To me this is what is going to destroy college sports and fan involvement. Outside of the SEC and B1G who are people going to get up for? Look at BC. Who's their biggest draw? ND. Not Clemson or FSU, fellow ACC mates. Who will RU fans get up for? Sure it will be great to see OSU, Michigan, or PSU in your stadium but will you really care as much about beating them as you did when you played UConn or whoever RU's rival was?

I agree that the B1G is great but our rivalries, the things that have been built for 2+ decades, reside in the ACC. This is why attendance is going to shrink for UConn in all sports. Besides the fact that many teams are not good, people just don't care about seeing us play teams that we have ZERO history with. Add to the fact that none of their fans will show up, nor will we travel to any of their stadiums, and you have a recipe for fans who don't care. This will be the same for Syracuse and Pitt in the ACC. The same happened to WVU in the Big-12. They couldn't fill their stadium for a national tv game versus a top 12 Oklahoma team.

With money being tight for a lot of folks, I can't see them shelling out money for games against teams they don't know. That's why I'd love to play in the ACC. Give me Syracuse, Pitt, BC, heck, even Louisville, any day in all sports.

While I understand the sentiment, I completely disagree about attendance shrinking when you are talking about teams like OSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin, Penn State, etc., coming in to town. There's just no way in the world. Couple that with the fact that Syracuse, BC, or Pitt could be scheduled in the non-conference at any point in time, and it really isn't that much of a strain on natural rivalries.

I hate that conference realignment has created a world where Pitt and WVU don't play each other, where Texas and A&M aren't in the same conference anymore, nor is Missouri and Kansas, etc. It really sucks all around. But the one thing that realignment has taught us is that if we are on the wrong end of the money stick as it pertains to conferences, bad things happen...

Reaction Score
B1G and it is not even close. Once we are in the B1G, we can just laugh at all the schools positioning themselves for realignment because we don't ever have to think about it again. That would be a good thing.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

I agree with all of this... and have been all about the ACC until recently for the same reasons. But the more they pass us over for petty BS, the more I want to go to the B1G for the long term stability and turn around and give everyone in the ACC a giant .

Reaction Score
I agree with all of this... and have been all about the ACC until recently for the same reasons. But the more they pass us over for petty BS, the more I want to go to the B1G for the long term stability and turn around and give everyone in the ACC a giant .
Exactly my reasoning. Until they took Louisville, I was all for joining a stable ACC (and will still join whatever to get away from the BS of the NNNNNNBE).

I want the ACC embarrassed, and I would prefer no part of them.

Reaction Score
I agree that conference realignment sucks and money now trumps everything that made college sports fun – rivalries, passion, road trips, etc.
That said, the BiG will be one of the surviving 4 super conferences (PAC, SEC, BiG, and either ACC or XII) at the end of the day and it is doubtful that the ACC will be, even if it somehow stabilizes over the next few years. That alone makes BiG the top choice. I will miss taking over the Dunkin Donuts center for hoops or fall drives up to ‘Cuse for Football; but, UConn would have a natural rivalry with Rutgers (not sure it would be 100% mutual, see below) and fits better with the profiles of BIG schools than it does ACC schools on average. Plus, the ACC has clearly shown the world how it feels about UConn
As for Rutgers, the locals here are ecstatic. Rutgers fans don’t care about the ACC or UConn (how many times am I reminded that Rutgers played in the first freaking college football game?). Even if they have not played a lot recently, there is a strong natural rivalry with Penn St with so many kids picking between Rutgers and Penn St when they go to school. Throw in the heavy football recruiting in NJ by Michigan, Ohio St, etc., and this is a major huge boost for Rutgers, even if it will take years for them to become consistently competitive in the BiG on the gridiron.
I did an informal survey in the local BJ’s parking lot the other day while I was holiday shopping, and counted the ‘major’ college bumper stickers that I saw: 4x Rutgers & Penn State, 2x Michigan, ND & Virginia, 1x for UConn, Clemson, BC, and Duke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom