St. John's Grad Transfer - Darien Williams Considering UConn > Landed @ Nevada | The Boneyard

St. John's Grad Transfer - Darien Williams Considering UConn > Landed @ Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
upload_2017-4-10_14-32-58.png

Reaction Score
Crap, Darien Williams. Sorry. Mod, can you edit the title?

Reaction Score
Hard pass. This kid makes Eric Cobb look like Wilt Chamberlain

Reaction Score
Foul machine, but 2nd best rebounder on St Johns last year. Okay shooting numbers in a limited role. Awful from the foul line.

Reaction Score
the fact that we're going after him makes me feel like were out of it with superior grad transfers like Kanter and Rooks

Reaction Score
Hard pass. This kid makes Eric Cobb look like Wilt Chamberlain

Is the option Wilt Chamberlain? If so, that makes sense.

Otherwise, however, if the choice is between (i) an empty seat on the bench and scholarship unused, versus (ii) the 12th or 13th schollies, rather than being unused, be taken by a D-1 basketball player, even if he's not good, who goes away after one year and never takes up a scholarship that would have any other purpose, WHO CARES? Both last year and 14-15, we played games where we didn't have enough scholarship players to give us 40 minutes. I understand not wanting the Trice's and Mandelbaums, but as long as you are talking grad transfers there is literally no downside if you're not pushing anyone out to get him in.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Otherwise, however, if the choice is between (i) am empty seat on the bench and scholarship unused, versus (ii) the 12th or 13th schollies, rather than being unused, be taken by a D-1 basketball player, even if he's not good, who goes away after one year and never takes up a scholarship that would have any other purpose, WHO CARES? Both last year and 14-15, we played games where we didn't have enough scholarship players to give us 40 minutes. I understand not wanting the Trice's and Mandelbaums, but as long as you are talking grad transfers there is literally no downside if you're not pushing anyone out to get him in.

It's astonishing how many people are at the same time a) ripping KO for only leaving 11 guys on the bench this year and screwing the team over by not having the depth our injuries demanded we have and b) acting like contacting this guy to come in as a #12/13 guy on a roster makes us CCSU all of a sudden. Listen, we get it, you're as pissed about a 16-17 record as all of us are, but at least be consistent in your criticisms. Can't have it both ways.

Reaction Score
It's astonishing how many people are at the same time a) ripping KO for only leaving 11 guys on the bench this year and screwing the team over by not having the depth our injuries demanded we have and b) acting like contacting this guy to come in as a #12/13 guy on a roster makes us CCSU all of a sudden. Listen, we get it, you're as pissed about a 16-17 record as all of us are, but at least be consistent in your criticisms. Can't have it both ways.
What makes you think he would be 12th or 13th on the roster?

Reaction Score
The fact that we are now after guys like this makes me very skeptical of the the whole, "KO is cleaning house" narrative.

Its hard to believe that he would run off Enoch and Durham for guys like this.

Yeah, I don't think anyone reasonable believes that Ollie ran those guys off....But we may have to take player like this even if it is just to play a couple minutes a game and make practices competitive. A player like this would only be around for a year anyway. Not a waste of a scholarship.

Reaction Score

You forgot the guys who were saying we should leave 2 open scollies for 18 talent before the exodus.

You're slipping Stair!

Reaction Score

Otherwise, however, if the choice is between (i) an empty seat on the bench and scholarship unused, versus (ii) the 12th or 13th schollies, rather than being unused, be taken by a D-1 basketball player, even if he's not good, who goes away after one year and never takes up a scholarship that would have any other purpose, WHO CARES? Both last year and 14-15, we played games where we didn't have enough scholarship players to give us 40 minutes. I understand not wanting the Trice's and Mandelbaums, but as long as you are talking grad transfers there is literally no downside if you're not pushing anyone out to get him in.

Ya this is so important but I feel like people don't realize it. Check out the scholarship chart courtesy of tcf. We have 5 schollies for next year and zero seniors meaning technically everyone could be back again in two years. We also seem to have a lot of connections in the 2018 class. Because of this there's no use to waste the 5 schollies on low end 2017 guys. Ideally we could use 2 schollies on 2017 guys (Diarra and Waters) and then be left with 3 for grad transfers since those scholarships can then be used on 2018 guys.

Getting three grad transfers isn't an easy task, so I don't see why it would hurt to take a flyer on a guy like this.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
What makes you think he would be 12th or 13th on the roster?

1) We're reaching out to multiple better grad transfer bigs with better numbers than his. It's not as if we're desperate enough to put all of our eggs in this basket.
2) I think the options we have currently look better than he does (says more about him than it does about them, but still).

I know you guys are secretly hoping he does end up playing a bigger role than 12th or 13th man, because then you can say "See? I told you so! KO can't put together a team, time to cut the cord!"

Reaction Score
1) We're reaching out to multiple better grad transfer bigs with better numbers than his. It's not as if we're desperate enough to put all of our eggs in this basket.
2) I think the options we have currently look better than he does (says more about him than it does about them, but still).

I know you guys are secretly hoping he does end up playing a bigger role than 12th or 13th man, because then you can say "See? I told you so! KO can't put together a team, time to cut the cord!"
Everyone wants KO to succeed and for UConn to be great. Grow up, Stainmaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom