OT: St. John's coaching search | The Boneyard

OT: St. John's coaching search

Reaction Score
Tim Cluess momentum to St. John’s grows amid Bobby Hurley obstacles
As of late Wednesday night, Tim Cluess was involved in informal discussions with St. John’s to become its next head coach, and an official request with Iona to speak to its head coach was expected soon, a source familiar with the talks told The Post.

The source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the talks had progressed to the point that Cluess believed he was the leading candidate to replace Chris Mullin, who stepped down Tuesday after four seasons, and the talks could intensify over the next days.

Reaction Score
The source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the talks had progressed to the point that Cluess believed he was the leading candidate to replace Chris Mullin, who stepped down Tuesday after four seasons, and the talks could intensify over the next days.

I wonder who the source could be.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I believe Cluess was on the 1973-74 St. John's team that lost to us in a first round NIT game on St. Patrick's Day at MSG. Jimmy Walker scored 27 points for us. We were at that game.

Reaction Score
Not according to some people here. But yes you are right.

St John's was never going to be able to offer enough money to move B Hurley here. Plus I really don't think he wants to compete against Dan Hurley for recruits.

Let's see, Paradise Valley, or Queens. Yes that sure would be a tough choice.

SubInATub

I have midnight visits
Reaction Score
ASU is definitely a better gig than SJU so this isn't shocking.

Danny just getting to UConn had something to do with it. Big family value from the Hurley, wasn't going to step on his toes just yet, need to wait for Danny to get established.

Reaction Score
They would be a monster with Rick Pitino. Yep, a lot of baggage which would all be forgotten as the wins piled up. Pitino would also pile up the cash from outside sources in the city.

Reaction Score
Serves St. John’s right for being petty Tom petty with Sid Wilson. Know if there’s connection/interest in LJ Figourirora? However you spell it. Let’s steal him too

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Bobby never made sense. Why go backward?

I suspect that St. Johns and Hurley were never serious about each other. Hurley had a huge buyout that St. Johns was never going to pay, and Hurley wasn't leaving ASU. It looks like Hurley's agent leaked a preliminary discussion to get Hurley a better contract with ASU, so good for him.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
They would be a monster with Rick Pitino. Yep, a lot of baggage which would all be forgotten as the wins piled up. Pitino would also pile up the cash from outside sources in the city.

Can you imagine a school run by priests hiring a guy with a history like Pitino? In this day and age?

Reaction Score
I dislike Pitino, but he is what he is at this point & everyone knows it. His basketball coaching abilities are the direct opposite of his introspective abilities. It'd be entertaining to have him back in CBB and UNLV seems the most logical fit, but anywhere that can match lack of morals with Pitino will due.

Reaction Score
For a final job I think SJU may be a better job for him than ASU but for Bobby, a guy who has to have his eyes on the biggest of jobs, staying at ASU is a no brainer. He has already put in the years into building a foundation and culture and has a roster full of young top150ish players.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Didn't they hire Steve Lavin a few years back?

Lavin was mildly scummy, but the things on Pitino's watch were next level. The hookers and brothel thing doesn't play well with the church. Nor the restaurant dribbling incident.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom