OT: St. John's coaching search | Page 9 | The Boneyard

OT: St. John's coaching search

Reaction Score
We’ve seen this before both at UConn and St Johns. Remember when all our problems were over when Ollie hired his pal from Washington who had recruited the #1 draft choice? The Johnnies did something similar a few years ago with a supposed great recruiter too. You still need the head coach and you need to actually coach ‘em when you get ‘em.

Reaction Score
I think Mike Anderson would be a good choice too. Arkansas isn’t an easy school to coach basketball at IMO, but he consistently produced solid teams even if they weren’t spectacular. Good offensive minded coach.

Good call

Reaction Score
Anderson is a good coach. Known quantity.
For all the barbs thrown Jones way, I actually think Jones could have had more upside for St Johns. His record in the Ivy League was about what you'll find in a top tier coach. Tough dude. He was a lesser known quantity, but I think he would've brought more energy to the job.

I think for years St Johns fans thought their next coach was going to be a Hurley or a Nate Oats type hire, and this is the furthest thing from that. They had a very bad beat when Alabama took Oats before they could fire Mullin.

Oddly enough, there was a different fired SEC coach that could've been better for St Johns. Bryce Drew. He had a bad record but that could be explained by the injuries. Drew would have recruited the type (and caliber) of player that Johnnies fans desperately want. He came from Valpo, which has a lot more similarities to St Johns than UAB.

Reaction Score
JUCO has been Anderson’s bread and butter. It’s not like that has to really change at all, so the talent level should more or less stay the same as it was at Arkansas. Maybe he’ll get a boost if he hires assistants with good regional ties. I think St. John’s will be better than they’ve been recently under Anderson even if they still don’t contend to win the Big East most years. Just my opinion.

Reaction Score
Anderson does very well in conference play. His team's overachieve their talent level.

But he's never gotten it done in March. One fluke elite 8 with DeMarre Carroll. A ton of 5-10 seeds out in the first weekend.

Last edited:

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
To say this is a somewhat underwhelming hire after the entire clown show hiring process is an understatement (yawn). Anderson better be prepared for major culture shock.

One would hope this farce will forever silence the "back to the new Big Least" Husky fans, but sadly, that's wishful thinking.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
Equally as alarming is someone thinking putting Goodman behind a camera of any sort is a good idea.

Reaction Score
sidebar...haven't read one word about Mustafa Heron during all the upheaval. Anyone know if he's staying/transferring/NBA?

Reaction Score

Perhaps he will have success bringing in out of state kids? NYC kids clearly want no part of St. Johns but If you grew up on a farm somewhere you might be intrigued. In addition, if Knicks get KD + Zion + Kemba, I can see the Garden being a draw again on the collegiate level.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Well if this coaching search doesn't show folks that St John's has zero juice, I don't know what will. It's a hard job - the fanbase is small but they expect to win and there is just way too much competition in the northeast for prized recruits. Unless the Johnies find a sugar daddy/mommy willing to do whatever it takes financially to bring in a 'Fab Five' type recruiting class, it's just way too difficult for them to compete with the big boys. It's been difficult for UConn to compete for the big boys without a dedicated sugar daddy/mommy...and UConn has the benefit of being a national brand. The task is nearly impossible for a small private school like St John's to compete.

NYC likes a winner and they love big games and it's just far too difficult to convince a New York sports fan to get fired up over SJU / Big East basketball without the luxury of having northeast behemoths like UConn/Syracuse on the schedule. My guess is that over half of New Yorkers couldn't identify what state some of the new small Big East schools are located in - Creighton, Butler, Xavier, maybe DePaul or Marquette. Without NYC being fired up over SJU / Big East basketball, it's just another job with unrealistically high expectations without the infrastructural (or financial) backing to meet them.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Unless the Johnies find a sugar daddy/mommy willing to do whatever it takes financially to bring in a 'Fab Five' type recruiting class, it's just way too difficult for them to compete with the big boys.

They have one, one who's got more money than any UConn booster and he now hates them. It's hilarious.

Reaction Score
I will say this though. For the first time in a while the Johnies hired an actual basketball coach rather than a tv personality who they hope can coach. Their upside is pretty limited I think but at least this guy actually wants to be a basketball coach

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
They have one, one who's got more money than any UConn booster and he now hates them. It's hilarious.

Oh really? Kind of like a Burton v Hathaway situation? Or something deeper?

Reaction Score
Repole is a business success, but a complete moron in this instance.

He made it infinitely worse. What coach wants to have that idiot critiquing your every move.

Part of the AD’s job is to placate alumns/donors, but not let them believe that have any meaningful decision making ability.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom