OT: St. John's coaching search | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: St. John's coaching search

Reaction Score
I think Mike Anderson would be a good choice too. Arkansas isn’t an easy school to coach basketball at IMO, but he consistently produced solid teams even if they weren’t spectacular. Good offensive minded coach.

He's a decent coach and definitely better than the last 10 names that have been mentioned for that job. I hope he doesn't take it.

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
O'Neil: Inept coaching searches prove that UCLA, St. John's...

This is a really great article in The Athletic by Dana O’Neil but the one point that stuck out to me was her statement below on the value of coaches v. schools:

“Coaches have gotten as wise to the game as the kids they recruit, well aware that they create the value of the job and not the other way around. Is Villanova a great job, or is Jay Wright a great coach? Was Texas Tech a Final Four waiting to happen, or did Chris Beard get the Red Raiders there? Was Chris Holtmann lucky to get a chance to coach Ohio State, or were the Buckeyes fortunate to entice him away from Butler? The answer to each is obvious.”

That’s dead on. Once you get past all the conference gnashing of teeth, it really all comes down to the coach. We’re incredibly fortunate that Benedict landed our guy.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I think Mike Anderson would be a good choice too. Arkansas isn’t an easy school to coach basketball at IMO, but he consistently produced solid teams even if they weren’t spectacular. Good offensive minded coach.

He’s a garbage coach with no ties to New York City.

I hope they hire him.

Reaction Score
He’s a garbage coach with no ties to New York City.

I hope they hire him.
I'm surprised by your take on him. I thought he was the best coach of both UAB & Mizzou in the last 20+ years. Also, has there been anyone successful at Arkansas since Nolan Richardson left?

Reaction Score
Sounds like the AD telling his new coach who to hire (but it would be a good hire)

Reaction Score
Anderson is and has been a very good coach. Even at Arkansas he had .624 win percentage

Reaction Score
Yeah I kinda like the hire too. An embarassing spectacle of a process but I have always liked watching his teams. Obviously, the staff is supremely important. Would you rather have Porter Moser or Mike Anderson? No brainer for me

Reaction Score
Yeah I kinda like the hire too. An embarassing spectacle of a process but I have always liked watching his teams. Obviously, the staff is supremely important. Would you rather have Porter Moser or Mike Anderson? No brainer for me
As someone who very much wants to see St John's fail, they made a great choice

Reaction Score
It doesn't matter what the perception is of Anderson now, we're gonna find out.

St Johns as an athletic program has a lot of issues that are defective.

So this hire doesn't only boil down to what assistants he hires.
(he's known for hiring his family, btw)

I'd rather have Moser because he is used to dealing with that particular type of (Jesuit) institution.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom