St.John’s Looks Pretty Good | The Boneyard

St.John’s Looks Pretty Good

Reaction Score
I hate them but they barely lost in Indiana last night. Mathis tossed on a #2 technical shoulda been a #1. I see a tough out with them.

Reaction Score
Their offense looked like a bunch of headless chickens running around with Champagnie there to save the day. It's going to take them a while to figure that out since 90% of the team is brand new

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, because the Johnnies didn't schedule an early season tourney, their only other chance at resume-building OOC win is Kansas. They really needed this one.

Reaction Score
I like how we match up with them. Martin/Jackson can guard Champagnie (who we clamped last year too), and I just don’t see them having the firepower to keep up with us if you can keep him at bay (although I really like the additions of Coburn and Smith). They look like a tournament/bubble team to me.

Reaction Score
Their offense looked like a bunch of headless chickens running around with Champagnie there to save the day. It's going to take them a while to figure that out since 90% of the team is brand new
That is Mike Anderson's MO. Press full court, score off turnovers, run, poor half court offense.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
While UConn should have the size/skill/experience advantage in any matchup vs the Johnnie's, my gut tells me that Posh is the new Peyton Siva.

IOW Husky kryptonite.

Reaction Score
That was my takeaway as well. The only player on the floor who looks polished is Champagnie and the bigs look weak in the paint. They had 15 turnovers as a team and most of them were unforced.

Guys not named Champagnie hit a lot of difficult shots that allowed that to be a close game at the end, that regression should temper down in the longer run.

Reaction Score
That is Mike Anderson's MO. Press full court, score off turnovers, run, poor half court offense.
I've seen his teams play solid half-court O - but its more of a strategic decision for them. They know most teams are built to play with order, and there is just a lot of value in creating an entire court full of disorder - where they have a no-doubt advantage.

What a great get by St. Johns - a unique, NYC type of ball coach - gritty, hustle, insanity.

Would be awesome for the league for them to thrive, very annoying to play and hard to prepare for. If your guards lose composure you are in for an awful time.

Reaction Score
Defense failed them down the stretch. Couldn't keep them out of the paint and too many fouls.

Reaction Score
Their games will always be fun to watch because of how frenetic they are, but they don't look like a good team to me.

Reaction Score
They tend to have runs in their games. Might look great for 5 minutes but then look terrible for the next 5 minutes.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think our depth will help in these rock fight games.

Reaction Score
I feel we slept on Saint John's hiring Mike Anderson. It felt like a few of the other searches they have done or others (thinking USF or UMass): somewhat of a Random Walk. Anderson actually has had great years interspersed with others in a 19 year HC career. He knows the recruits that fit. And that means he is often gonna be better than the Newby's at Butler or Xavier or Pat Ewing. I hope he gets better and better for the Johnnies ... because I think I love to beat them and want them to be good when they get waxed. NYC is fun when you see their fans cry.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
But MSG!

Will be rocking on February 13th!

Reaction Score
I feel we slept on Saint John's hiring Mike Anderson. It felt like a few of the other searches they have done or others (thinking USF or UMass): somewhat of a Random Walk. Anderson actually has had great years interspersed with others in a 19 year HC career. He knows the recruits that fit. And that means he is often gonna be better than the Newby's at Butler or Xavier or Pat Ewing. I hope he gets better and better for the Johnnies ... because I think I love to beat them and want them to be good when they get waxed. NYC is fun when you see their fans cry.
Goodman hated the hire and was obnoxiously bashing it (believe he wanted Cluess for them which would have been a disaster because of health), but I think a lot of folks here actually did like it at the time. Hes turning around Mullin’s mess pretty quickly. He’s an underrated coach. Arkansas isn’t an easy gig but he did a good job there too, and made it attractive enough for Musselman to take the job, which he wouldn’t have previously.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It just hit me, Anderson is what we are hoping for out of Mora. A coaching professional that knows what needs to be done and how to do it.

Reaction Score
I hate them but they barely lost in Indiana last night. Mathis tossed on a #2 technical shoulda been a #1. I see a tough out with them.
Champaganie is very fun to watch. Had 30 and didn't rush at all. Very composed and even-keeled even when it looked like the game was about to get away from St John's.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
It just hit me, Anderson is what we are hoping for out of Mora. A coaching professional that knows what needs to be done and how to do it.
no. make that heck, no.

'On March 4, 2011, Anderson dismissed the rumors, telling Columbia Tribune sportswriter Steve Walentik he planned to stay at MU for "a long time, retire here."

On March 14, Arkansas fired Pelphrey. Nine days later, Anderson accepted the head coaching position at Arkansas. The departure stunned Missouri fans, especially in light of Anderson's comments to the Tribune earlier in the month. According to MU guard Marcus Denmon, Anderson told him days before leaving that he would stay at MU and "didn't plan on changing."
he's purrrfect for the johnnycoats tho, always looking like 'mebbe, this time it's different' as to their 'moving up the ladder' aspirations. just like the rest of his career.
'bbut he's had the awesome, overwhelming total of 5 guys get drafted by the nba, one as high as #22, in his awesome, overwhelming coaching history!' and 'he's last season's big east coach of the year!'
and didn't even have to make the ncaa's, which they didn't.
a purrfect fit for the johnnies.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Creative chanting of "Sloppy seconds!" toward SJ player who's dating IU player's ex. Hit 'em where it hurts. I like it.
The IU crowd reminded me what a college crowd is like. It was nice to see. St John's handled it very well.

Reaction Score
While UConn should have the size/skill/experience advantage in any matchup vs the Johnnie's, my gut tells me that Posh is the new Peyton Siva.

IOW Husky kryptonite.
You mean we beat them in the Big East Final with Posh missing a shot at the end?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom