St. Anthony's to close at end of year. | The Boneyard

St. Anthony's to close at end of year.

Reaction Score
Quick story re: St. Anthony's. I worked for a television show back in 80's when Bob Hurley Jr. was a junior. We named a tri-state 1st team all-star team that year. The team had two guards and they were: 1) Kenny Anderson & 2) Chris Smith.

The next year the 1st team was Bobby Hurley Jr. and Khalid Reeves and Bobby Hurley Sr. was coach of the year. In fact, St. Anthony's was national champs. To make a long story short... Bob Hurley Sr. took me aside before we taped and told me that Bobby was really disappointed that he didn't make first team the year before and used it for motivation all year. I didn't know at first whether Bob Sr. was breaking my balls but he then smiled before saying... "that Chris Smith is a heck of player too."

I laughed about it but always wondered did Bobby Jr. use it as motivation or was Bobby Sr. using it to motivate Bobby. All we know is Bobby won a HS Championship and 2 NCAA's. Bobby Sr., in the meantime, remains arguably the greatest HS coach ever.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Very sad news, particularly for those of us who are natives of the Garden State. Bob Hurley, Sr. and Morgan Wooten at Dematha are probably the two greatest HS basketball coaches.

Reaction Score
Very sad news, particularly for those of us who are natives of the Garden State. Bob Hurley, Sr. and Morgan Wooten at Dematha are probably the two greatest HS basketball coaches.
I don't think it's a probably...those two are in a class their own bar none

C

chiller99.5

Surprised some Rutgers or Seton Hall alum dont toss some $$$ to save the school and funnel all that talent to their college

Reaction Score
Gov Christie is working hard to keep the school open. He's looking for donations to set up an endowment of a minimum, I think $250k.

There have been so many athletes to come out of that school, it's surprising to see that it has come to this.

I think they'll find the money.

Reaction Score
I hope they come up with a way to keep it open

Reaction Score
Gov Christie is working hard to keep the school open. He's looking for donations to set up an endowment of a minimum, I think $250k.

There have been so many athletes to come out of that school, it's surprising to see that it has come to this.

I think they'll find the money.

Yup, he's trying to shakedown the pro sports teams... not sustainable in the end.

Chris Christie calls on pro sports leagues to save St. Anthony's

>>Hurley has said the school needs $500,000 in the bank and nearly $2 million to cover debts. He announced this week the institution will close in June because of declining attendance and rising costs.<<

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I say we offer Hurley Sr. an assistant coaching position.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom